Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im considering buying a 200 and for sure it has to be the V6 version. Onething I can assure you is that i'm really impressed by this car on how it looks. I don't care that much about the rear sits heads for the passenger. Being honest you mostly ride your can alone. For work and college anyway. I have not seen the car in person but I really love how the car looks.

Soo which year you would recommend? and why? I keep hearing stories about the transmission I would like to know you opinion guys on it.

·
Registered
2011 Touring Convertible
6 Posts
Hi Shadowpr, we have a 2011 and specifically picked this one for the V6, gives you an extra 100 HP and I believe the E85 option is not available for the i4s. Simply put with the V6 you have power when you need power. Also being a V6 your resale value will naturally stay higher if you ever decide to sell it. Of course your gas mileage will be worse and the gas tank in these cars is rather small which you have to fill frequently but in my opinion the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. I definitely recommend the V6.

·
Premium Member
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
427 Posts
Many hardware and software refinements for the ZF-9 in 2016 over the 2015 model year. I opted for the 2016 3.6L AWD 200S over the 200C. Whichever one suits your style.
I considered a Dart at first, but the 200 is much more comfortable and right-sized for me. I stepped out of mom's low-mileage 2007 Caliber. A good car, but not a great car.
I also considered the older JS Sebring/Avenger/200, but being in the NY salt belt, I wanted something newer and more advanced.
The used car market for 200 lease turn-ins and rentals taken out of service has some really good deals out there. I hope that you find yours.
To tell you the truth, I never noticed the rear headroom/door taper issue until Sergio mentioned it and killed the car. I think he wanted to utilize the plant to build more trucks anyways. The UF was a short, but sweet run. Much of the tech and design themes can be found in the Pacifica.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Go for it! 2015 - 2017 A great car if you take care of it. Read thru this forum thoroughly for its quirks and spotty probs 1st. The trans is fine... has an akward 4-5 shift occasionally, D mode shifts smooth and fast up and down and S is firm and holds gears longer so whichever mode suits you better. Make sure all PCM and other updates are up too date (dealer) and change the battery every few years and your good. And get a Car shield warranty too cover any major probs for ensurance. . ( i did ). Good luck!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I read a bunch of reviews before buying 2011 Touring convertible. Most of the reviews and magazine articles said there was not much difference in the gas mileage.
FWIW, I have not driven a 4-cyl, but would NOT give up the V6 power.

Otherwise, my car was not well-maintained before I got it, and other than routine wear and tear, I'm satisfied.

·
Registered
2015 CHRYSLER 200S
11 Posts
I'm sure the original poster has made his choice already, but in case he hasn't... I would personally encourage you to look elsewhere.

I purchased a mint condition 2015 Chrysler 200S with only 22,000 miles on it, single-owner, just a few months ago and I've firmly regretted it ever since. I am an avid MOPAR owner and enthusiast, and it kills me to say it but... go buy a Camry. I seriously wish I would have.

This is one of the worst riding cars I've ever had the extreme displeasure of owning. Granted, I have the "S" which is sport-tuned. To be fair, I've owned sport-tuned vehicles before that also rode MUCH nicer than this. An hour in this car and I'm just done.

The transmission may have a million gears but it's super flighty and it's responses are unpredictable. The acceleration lag is pretty sad and there is an alarming amount of slop in the parking pawl. So when you shift this dinky shift knob into park and take your foot of the brake, that 200 will roll farther than any other vehicle I've ever owned before the parking pawl danes to catch up and hold the vehicle. The solution is to turn on the automatic electric parking brake every time park is engaged. I don't do this because I don't want to pay the king's ransom it will cost to replace whatever ridiculous electronic modules have to be replaced when the electronic park brake fails.

The seats are mediocre at best and the side-view mirrors on the car are a flat JOKE.

The design of the center console makes it so you'll be turning down the radio volume for a while instead of putting the car in Park until you get used to all the knobs. Why Chrysler simply had to have a pass-through cubby hole storage compartment so badly to get rid of the standard gear shift is beyond me.

They only made this iteration of the ill-fated 200 model for a measly three model years and it had EIGHT recalls. That should tell you ALL you need to know. Don't make the outrageous mistake I did.
View attachment 57021

·
Registered
2011 Touring Convertible
6 Posts
Wow ... I am surprised to read your review Chris, I never driven a 2015 but didn't know they had so many problems. We got our 2011 Touring convert (78,xxx miles) a couple of years ago and although we did have a couple of more considerable issues I was able to fix both in 3-4 hours each and honestly no other problems. We love the smooth and comfortable ride of this car, no problem with the transmission so far which has been smooth and shifting well, also plenty of power from the V6 engine. I agree the radio can be confusing with all the features and buttons including on the steering but then we only use a few of the functions regularly.

If you have so many problems with it it's probably best just to sell it and consider another car, probably test drive one too before you buy it and also read reviews on it ahead. Sorry you had so many issues with this car, I'll keep this in mind when we get our next one.

·
Registered
2015 CHRYSLER 200S
11 Posts
Yeah I read the reviews on the car which were largely mixed. But to be fair I thought that most were largely skewed against Chrysler because Chrysler has had a hard time recovering from the Daimler era, despite having finally gotten rid of them as of 2010.

I test drove this car twice actually. But these were extremely abridged dealer test drives in the middle of the first COVID-19 outbreak, so I barely got to go anywhere in the car and I was desperate to find a vehicle. I certainly didn't get to go any longer distance which is where the car's astronomical faults really begin to stand out.

I thought I'd be the last person on earth to say this but...

Why oh why did I not buy a Toyota. A mistake I will reflect on for a while.

Every other Chrysler product I've owned up until this one, even the RAM I had previously that gave me some problems, were leaps and bounds ahead of this 200 in multiple categories.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I read the reviews on the car which were largely mixed. But to be fair I thought that most were largely skewed against Chrysler because Chrysler has had a hard time recovering from the Daimler era, despite having finally gotten rid of them as of 2010.

I test drove this car twice actually. But these were extremely abridged dealer test drives in the middle of the first COVID-19 outbreak, so I barely got to go anywhere in the car and I was desperate to find a vehicle. I certainly didn't get to go any longer distance which is where the car's astronomical faults really begin to stand out.

I thought I'd be the last person on earth to say this but...

Why oh why did I not buy a Toyota. A mistake I will reflect on for a while.

Every other Chrysler product I've owned up until this one, even the RAM I had previously that gave me some problems, were leaps and bounds ahead of this 200 in multiple categories.
Well Thank God I was waiting on to buy an AWD. And i coulnd' find one.

Your opinion pretty much makes me consider it like a lot before buying the car. The transmission design scares me being honest. I simply for that reason only im not going to buy any Chrysler products with that transmission. Also thanks to the COVID I had extra time to do a research on these cars. I being honest i Like it and i would trade it for my compass 2018 but im not really in a good economy position to trow money at something :/

·
Registered
2015 CHRYSLER 200S
11 Posts
Well Thank God I was waiting on to buy an AWD. And i coulnd' find one.

Your opinion pretty much makes me consider it like a lot before buying the car. The transmission design scares me being honest. I simply for that reason only im not going to buy any Chrysler products with that transmission. Also thanks to the COVID I had extra time to do a research on these cars. I being honest i Like it and i would trade it for my compass 2018 but im not really in a good economy position to trow money at something :/
I am a huge Mopar fan. But Chrysler thoroughly dropped the ball on this car.

My 23,000, CHRYSLER CERTIFIED 200S... is going into day 2 of what is likely going to turn out to be a couple thousand in repairs from everything from the transmission, to the suspension and even the electronics.

If I were you... I'd either buy an older Mopar back when they were actually WORTH buying... or if you want something new. Sadly, you'd best consider a foreign make.

·
Super Moderator
1,929 Posts
I am a huge Mopar fan. But Chrysler thoroughly dropped the ball on this car.

My 23,000, CHRYSLER CERTIFIED 200S... is going into day 2 of what is likely going to turn out to be a couple thousand in repairs from everything from the transmission, to the suspension and even the electronics.

If I were you... I'd either buy an older Mopar back when they were actually WORTH buying... or if you want something new. Sadly, you'd best consider a foreign make.
Your forgetting one thing.
There are many people happy with this car, this model and the way it performs.
Sure, the transmission is a little "quirky" but if you ignore most of what it doing, it performs fine. ( Providing it's had the proper updates to the software )
Our 115,000 mile, 6 year old 2015 Chrysler 200 S has been exemplary. ( bought brand new ! ) All the recalls were performed and the only warranty issue was the radio GPS unit malfunction, which was replaced under the basic warranty.
Consider this. The Toyota Corolla that was my wife's car was a water leaking nightmare. Multiple times at the dealer, including windshield replacements, ( twice ) but never able to fix the intrusion of water into the passenger compartment. We gave up and traded it in.

All cars have issues. Some just need a competent mechanic to sort things out.
Sorry your having problems.

·
Registered
2015 CHRYSLER 200S
11 Posts
Your forgetting one thing.
There are many people happy with this car, this model and the way it performs.
Sure, the transmission is a little "quirky" but if you ignore most of what it doing, it performs fine. ( Providing it's had the proper updates to the software )
Our 115,000 mile, 6 year old 2015 Chrysler 200 S has been exemplary. ( bought brand new ! ) All the recalls were performed and the only warranty issue was the radio GPS unit malfunction, which was replaced under the basic warranty.
Consider this. The Toyota Corolla that was my wife's car was a water leaking nightmare. Multiple times at the dealer, including windshield replacements, ( twice ) but never able to fix the intrusion of water into the passenger compartment. We gave up and traded it in.

All cars have issues. Some just need a competent mechanic to sort things out.
Sorry your having problems.
Your completely uncalled for assumption notwithstanding...

I'm not forgetting that at all.

If some people weren't happy with it, the ill-fated model would have died an even earlier product death than it did.

You're absolutely right, all cars have their issues. But the numbers show that Chrysler just isn't what it used to be when every single one of their major brands falls below the industry average of problems per 100.

I have a Chrysler-certified, single owner 200 I purchased in amazing shape with 22,000 miles, that was just towed away under a warning from two different dealerships that the vehicle isn't even safe to drive. All recalls were completed and I had it examined by two independent mechanics prior to my purchase. In a matter of months the car went from being just mediocre to a safety hazard.

Truly shameful. If someone is considering a purchase, it's only fair they see both sides of the coin to make an informed decision.

·
Super Moderator
1,929 Posts
Your completely uncalled for assumption notwithstanding...

I'm not forgetting that at all.

If some people weren't happy with it, the ill-fated model would have died an even earlier product death than it did.

You're absolutely right, all cars have their issues. But the numbers show that Chrysler just isn't what it used to be when every single one of their major brands falls below the industry average of problems per 100.

I have a Chrysler-certified, single owner 200 I purchased in amazing shape with 22,000 miles, that was just towed away under a warning from two different dealerships that the vehicle isn't even safe to drive. All recalls were completed and I had it examined by two independent mechanics prior to my purchase. In a matter of months the car went from being just mediocre to a safety hazard.

Truly shameful. If someone is considering a purchase, it's only fair they see both sides of the coin to make an informed decision.
My "uncalled for assumption" was certainly needed.
You express frustration with a vehicle you purchased, but that is all we hear on this forum. Complaints, but never how good something is.
The vehicle was killed off for several reasons, of which you may not have heard of.
The head of FCA, at the time, didn't appreciate the car and felt the back seat egress wasn't sufficient.
He also knew the other vehicles FCA / Chrysler manufactures would sell better with a higher profit margin ... SUV's and pickup trucks. Today, the Sterling Heights assembly does just that. They produce Ram trucks.
If you bought a "certified" Chrysler product form a Chrysler dealer, then I suggest your dealer and it's techs may not be up to speed on the repairs needed to correct a problem. Clearly you state the car went from hero to zero in 2 months. Independent mechanics are good, but may not understand all the electronic with this, or any new vehicle.
I suggest calling Chrysler customer care and allow them to assist you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm sure the original poster has made his choice already, but in case he hasn't... I would personally encourage you to look elsewhere.

I purchased a mint condition 2015 Chrysler 200S with only 22,000 miles on it, single-owner, just a few months ago and I've firmly regretted it ever since. I am an avid MOPAR owner and enthusiast, and it kills me to say it but... go buy a Camry. I seriously wish I would have.

This is one of the worst riding cars I've ever had the extreme displeasure of owning. Granted, I have the "S" which is sport-tuned. To be fair, I've owned sport-tuned vehicles before that also rode MUCH nicer than this. An hour in this car and I'm just done.

The transmission may have a million gears but it's super flighty and it's responses are unpredictable. The acceleration lag is pretty sad and there is an alarming amount of slop in the parking pawl. So when you shift this dinky shift knob into park and take your foot of the brake, that 200 will roll farther than any other vehicle I've ever owned before the parking pawl danes to catch up and hold the vehicle. The solution is to turn on the automatic electric parking brake every time park is engaged. I don't do this because I don't want to pay the king's ransom it will cost to replace whatever ridiculous electronic modules have to be replaced when the electronic park brake fails.

The seats are mediocre at best and the side-view mirrors on the car are a flat JOKE.

The design of the center console makes it so you'll be turning down the radio volume for a while instead of putting the car in Park until you get used to all the knobs. Why Chrysler simply had to have a pass-through cubby hole storage compartment so badly to get rid of the standard gear shift is beyond me.

They only made this iteration of the ill-fated 200 model for a measly three model years and it had EIGHT recalls. That should tell you ALL you need to know. Don't make the outrageous mistake I did.
View attachment 57021
I bought my 2015 200s used with 8,000 miles for a great price. Good thing I also purchased an extended warranty because the car has problems ll over the place. Here is a list of items that were replaced from 8,000- 99,000 miles
1) headliner
2) A pillar interior moulding
3) Uconnect 8.4 head unit (would not keep time, could not find car for navigation)
4) a/c center stack module (half of switches quit working)
5) Oil Cooler replaced after major leaking
6) rear shocks leaking @ 60,000 miles (this was strangely not covered under the warranty)
7) both front wheel bearings failed @ 50,000 miles
8) Top strut mounts rotting after 3.5 years
9) struts replaced @99,000 miles (this was covered)
10) inner interior on rear doors is peeling off both doors. Bad glue?

So I consider the car to be fun to drive, it looks nice, but it was/ is not a good car. I have had a Stratus go 200,000 miles before selling. I have a Camry nearing 300,000. The 200 has more problems in the first 1000,000 miles than BOTH the Stratus and Camry had combined.

Hawk

·
Super Moderator
2,583 Posts
Many of us have have very little problems with this car. The ZF9 speed transmission in this Chrysler is in many other makes and models including Acura TLX. The transmission doesn't have any problems, it's the way people perceive how it should perform compared to their old outdated 5 and 6 speed automatics. I have over 115K miles on my car and zero transmission problems.

Does ANYONE test drive a car more than around the block before they buy it? I guess if you are gullible enough to do something like buy extra insurance on a rental car while already having full coverage on another vehicle and not actually knowing your insurance policy covers it (and the "for peace of mind..." line worked on you), then certainly a fast talking car salesperson can draw your attention away from your actual driving experience and get your emotions all worked up, get your trust, and get you to pull the trigger before you realize something simple like "gee... I discovered after 3 months of ownership these seats are uncomfortable and the ride is harsh". shakes head :rolleyes:

Reactions: fltru103

·
Super Moderator
2,583 Posts
My "uncalled for assumption" was certainly needed.
You express frustration with a vehicle you purchased, but that is all we hear on this forum. Complaints, but never how good something is.
The vehicle was killed off for several reasons, of which you may not have heard of.
The head of FCA, at the time, didn't appreciate the car and felt the back seat egress wasn't sufficient.
He also knew the other vehicles FCA / Chrysler manufactures would sell better with a higher profit margin ... SUV's and pickup trucks. Today, the Sterling Heights assembly does just that. They produce Ram trucks.
If you bought a "certified" Chrysler product form a Chrysler dealer, then I suggest your dealer and it's techs may not be up to speed on the repairs needed to correct a problem. Clearly you state the car went from hero to zero in 2 months. Independent mechanics are good, but may not understand all the electronic with this, or any new vehicle.
I suggest calling Chrysler customer care and allow them to assist you.

It wasn't at all uncalled for! Thanks for posting Ken.

I 100% agree with what you are saying and couldn't have said it better if I tried.

Most people join because they have an issue they are trying to solve or are frustrated. This isn't a Mustang forum where people post time slips etc... It's a "how much oil does this thing take" and "why does the remote start not work (with the low fuel light about to turn on)" forum. There are still a few of us that joined that purchased new and are very satisfied with this vehicle and are indeed enthusiasts.

Now that this car is getting old and less expensive to purchase used - and in light of the fact that some major accidents and repairs can stay out of a car history report (despite what you might believe because of marketing/advertising), there are going to be more problems with them as time goes on, just like any other make or model.

Reactions: Warren and fltru103
1 - 16 of 16 Posts