Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 Chrysler 200 Limited Convertible. Top operation works fine but the two small plastic covers (hidden under the rear seat side trim panels) that are supposed to extend to fill the 2 top hinge gaps between the trunk and back seat side trims are not extending. I don't even know what those are called in proper terms but any advice on what makes them work would be appreciated. It looks as if they should slide out on rails and then rise up to seal the gaps. Fused? Jammed? etc. Any suggestions welcomed.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The owner's manual refers to them as "spring-loaded flipper doors" but I can't find any reference to them anywhere.

·
Registered
577 Posts
One of mine stuck one but I drove on a rough road and it popped up. I remember seeing a write up on the Chrysler convertible forum that had pictures of how to gain access to them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The owner's manual refers to them as "spring-loaded flipper doors" but I can't find any reference to them anywhere.
I still haven't found out anything at all about them yet but did find a excellent video showing how to access them without damage even though for another purpose. He calls it a Sebring but is is a 200:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had the same problem on my 2013 LTD, and through trial and error fixed it. Follow the instructions in the above video re removal of the inner back seat armrest/panel. Once you have that removed, the "flipper door" mechanism will remain attached to it. A couple of screws hold it to the inside of that panel; remove it from the panel to see where the door mechanism is jammed. It consists of a spring device mounted to dual tracks. As the top is raised, a piston extends from the roof hinge area near those doors, and pushes the door forward and under the side panel. When the top lowers, the piston retracts, allowing the spring to pull the door to the visible position to fill the gap in the panel. The flipper door assembly has pins on both sides and rides in those tracks. It's all cheap plastic and can deform if left in the jammed position for an extended period of time (mine had been that way for a year and required complete disassembly and a heat gun to reshape the plastic). After some time and effort, you should be able to get it back to working order and reinstall. Once unjammed, you can test the flipper assembly in your hand to make sure it slides smoothly again and returns to proper position.
Good luck!
Unfortunately, Chrysler does not support this vehicle any longer, or the easy fix would be to buy a replacement. I tried, and couldn't find the part anywhere...including junk yards.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had the same problem on my 2013 LTD, and through trial and error fixed it. Follow the instructions in the above video re removal of the inner back seat armrest/panel. Once you have that removed, the "flipper door" mechanism will remain attached to it. A couple of screws hold it to the inside of that panel; remove it from the panel to see where the door mechanism is jammed. It consists of a spring device mounted to dual tracks. As the top is raised, a piston extends from the roof hinge area near those doors, and pushes the door forward and under the side panel. When the top lowers, the piston retracts, allowing the spring to pull the door to the visible position to fill the gap in the panel. The flipper door assembly has pins on both sides and rides in those tracks. It's all cheap plastic and can deform if left in the jammed position for an extended period of time (mine had been that way for a year and required complete disassembly and a heat gun to reshape the plastic). After some time and effort, you should be able to get it back to working order and reinstall. Once unjammed, you can test the flipper assembly in your hand to make sure it slides smoothly again and returns to proper position.
Good luck!
Unfortunately, Chrysler does not support this vehicle any longer, or the easy fix would be to buy a replacement. I tried, and couldn't find the part anywhere...including junk yards.
Thank you Bill. I found all that out the hard way too just last week and thus posted a followup to this thread called "Spring-Loaded Flapper Doors" the title being a mockery of the what the owners manual refers to them as. It is pretty extensive but I finally won by making a modification to the assembly besides heat treatments.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts