Chrysler 200 Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
This happened to my car and it was a 5 minute fix. The knob that controls the latches was stuck. Take the upper panel behind the mirrors off. There is a "star" knob in the middle. Turn it to the right until it clicks. It will restart the closing cycle and everything will work fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This mechanism gets stuck because the motor that powers it started to get weak. If you replace the latch motor all problems will go away.. A lot of the top problems on these cars are related to this motor

It would be a good idea to test the system first before replacing it just to make sure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
thank you so much this worked perfect star in middle theres a socket for it so you don't strip it turn to the right all the way it released it. I tried everything my fluid was low so had to refill that didn't work out I was about to start changing switches before I read this I recommend this all the way

This happened to my car and it was a 5 minute fix. The knob that controls the latches was stuck. Take the upper panel behind the mirrors off. There is a "star" knob in the middle. Turn it to the right until it clicks. It will restart the closing cycle and everything will work fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In regards to the above post #13.
The I.P. address of this post is invalid, which raises suspicion with me.
While I appreciate anybody wanting to help with our vehicles, I must post this message for everyone to be careful of who you reply to, or correspond with.

fltru103 - mod

So let me say this is guy is NOT fake and I met him and his very nice wife at their auto dealer in Orlando. He not only was correct (see his posts on this board) but he (with little to zero assistance from me) disassembled the parts to get access to the convertible motor and helped me secure to the top so I could drive it home safely. The new part is ordered and I will be coming back next week so he can install it. Also he charged me NOTHING just as he said he would and refused to take payment. the guy is an A+ and legit.

·
Super Moderator
1,909 Posts
So let me say this is guy is NOT fake and I met him and his very nice wife at their auto dealer in Orlando. He not only was correct (see his posts on this board) but he (with little to zero assistance from me) disassembled the parts to get access to the convertible motor and helped me secure to the top so I could drive it home safely. The new part is ordered and I will be coming back next week so he can install it. Also he charged me NOTHING just as he said he would and refused to take payment. the guy is an A+ and legit.
Glad to hear of your positive experience.
Thank you for posting.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm writing again from a computer, maybe this time there will be an IP address.

Anyways, I am pretty sure I got it figured out what the problem is with the convertible top for the latter sebrings and 200.

If anyone needs help free of charge, please contact me and I will be of assistance.
Good evening sir....I just bought a hard top from a friend (2012). Everything seemed fine- tonight I dropped the top to clean the inside a bit Put it back up- everything seemed ok... could hear ALL latches latch, but no "ding" and the dash stated a Malfunction-- Convertible top not secure. Windows would not go up.
After reading here a bit, I went back out & Conformed Truck would not release from inside or remote. Manually put windows up - noticed they didn't seat correctly into the gasket trim & has a small crack between front & back glass.
Did all this several times- confirmed the trunk would open w/ the key with top up or down. ALL seams & top appear to be latched & secure . I visually inspected latches above front window....only thing I saw questionable was inside the round hole on the passenger side - it appeared to be a ivory or white plastic pin that you could move with your finger. No such on the driver's side. I've finally gotten all the windows to sit and operate as they should with the top up. Am not getting the warning on the dash at the moment but am simply not going to mess with the top again for now. I'm calling the tech that serviced the vehicle a few years ago and replaced a bad motor.....It appears to be a bad sensor to me.....would this possibly be signs of the Limiter switch I've read about? You seem to be very knowledgeable and I'm just trying to avoid a bunch of wasted money chasing down a problem.....Thanks for any insight you may be able to provide.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you. I'll call you as soon as possible....I manager a Major grocery store and am covered up right now but I'll hopefully contact you by Saturday.....Thanks again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok, it's easier that way. There are a few things that I need you to do in order to make sure of the problem.

From your description, it should be the top latch motor.

But we can test it before you spend any money.

The motor activates the switches, that's why some people think it's the switches, but to this day I have never seem a bad one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
[/QUOTE

Does this take a special tool?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm a dealer in Orlando Florida and just had 2 of those cars come in with top problems.

I sent the hard top to Chrysler dealer and after paying $135 to be told they ran tests and it all failed.

They wanted another $270 then if no luck another $400 also diagnose the problem.

I got fed up and took it back.

I unbolted the headed plate and did several tests myself, which took less than 1 hour ($135) they charged me at the dealer.

Bottom line, the problem is the motor that powers the latch that clamps down the top to the windshield frame.

Motor gets week and can power it all the way so that the switch sees it latched.

I checked the second soft top 200 and the problem was the same.

I found out by removing the motor and operating the latches manually and everything worked perfectly.

Top opens and closes flawlessly.

Chrysler dealerships don't know anything and charge a lot for no work performed.

Any one needing help with this, let me know. I can help.
Can you send me more information about this in my email please

·
Registered
2 Posts
SAVIO.......I just bought a 2011 Chrysler 200 with soft top convertible. I am also a used car dealer but mostly classics. Bought this one to drive for a while. My top has all the issues mentioned here.....keyfob won’t work with top or trunk, top won’t retract or secure, have to use key for trunk and it’s very heavy, etc. But when you do try to retract top the trunk portion does not open. Nobody else mentioned that as issue. So we got top secured last night and realize we probably need to buy new header motor. I have seen the whole assembly for sale and just the motor. Seem to be similar pricing for both. Where have you purchased? Do I have other issue in trunk with it not opening? Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just saw your reply.....thank you! I will try you tomorrow afternoon. And we can talk then or another time that is good for you. I will be calling from area code 501.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok no problem. I want to explain to you how to test it to make sure, before you buy it.

To write it down it's kind of complicated.

Call me anytime.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts