Chrysler 200 Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm a dealer in Orlando Florida and just had 2 of those cars come in with top problems.

I sent the hard top to Chrysler dealer and after paying $135 to be told they ran tests and it all failed.

They wanted another $270 then if no luck another $400 also diagnose the problem.

I got fed up and took it back.

I unbolted the headed plate and did several tests myself, which took less than 1 hour ($135) they charged me at the dealer.

Bottom line, the problem is the motor that powers the latch that clamps down the top to the windshield frame.

Motor gets week and can power it all the way so that the switch sees it latched.

I checked the second soft top 200 and the problem was the same.

I found out by removing the motor and operating the latches manually and everything worked perfectly.

Top opens and closes flawlessly.

Chrysler dealerships don't know anything and charge a lot for no work performed.

Any one needing help with this, let me know. I can help.
Hello,
If you are still active on this site, I have some questions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm a dealer in Orlando Florida and just had 2 of those cars come in with top problems.

I found out by removing the motor and operating the latches manually and everything worked perfectly.

Chrysler dealerships don't know anything and charge a lot for no work performed.

Savio:

I am experiencing a problem with my soft top (2014 Chrysler 200). When attempting to put the top down, it stops halfway. It just goes silent. Eventually a "malfunction" message comes on. The top will go right backup. What is your suggestion?

Dan

·
Registered
562 Posts
You should probably check out this thread in the Chrysler convertible forum. There are some pictures starting at post #13 that may be helpful. Basically there is a known problem with the convertible top wiring harness in the area by the passenger side trunk hinge. These wires flex a lot every time you open the trunk and have a tendency to break over time. Quite a few people have discovered this issue. Here is link...

There is quite a bit of discussion on that forum about issues with the top and might find it helpful. Another group of posts explain a very inexpensive diagnostic software product the replicates the functionality of the dealer diagnostic tool. It will let you see the specific trouble codes for every electronic module in the car, including the Power Top Control Module.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I sent the hard top to Chrysler dealer and after paying $135 to be told they ran tests and it all failed.

They wanted another $270 then if no luck another $400 also diagnose the problem.

I got fed up and took it back.

I unbolted the headed plate and did several tests myself, which took less than 1 hour ($135) they charged me at the dealer.

Bottom line, the problem is the motor that powers the latch that clamps down the top to the windshield frame.

Motor gets week and can power it all the way so that the switch sees it latched.

Can u please tell me how to access the windshield motor and latches, and how to operate it manually? I am certain that is where the problem is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can u please tell me how to access the windshield motor and latches, and how to operate it manually? I am certain that is where the problem is.
Here is what I learned when I was dealing with this issue on my 2011 Soft Top 200...

To get to the latches at the top of the windshield I had to take the visors off. Once those were off you can pull the plastic trim pieces down to get to the mechanism that has the latches and motor in it. It is one big piece that is bolted to the windshield. The knob that other folks are talking about is 1/8th 8 point star bolt in the center. That socket was hard to find. When I did find one it was very hard to turn and I ended up turning it the wrong way to close the latches. After a couple of attempts the bolt striped out and would not turn. Either way, doing this did not solve the issue. The issue was the motor itself. To replace the motor alone or the entire mechanism was about $200 each. Both used off of Ebay. In my particular case I ended up trading the car in. I figured more little things would start to go wrong with the top and cost even more money. I hope this helps. Good luck.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts