Chrysler 200 Forum banner
101 - 120 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I just recently bought a 2011 Chrysler 200 convertible and my top is doing the exact same thing yours was and having all the same other issues with the rear defrost not working and the trunk not opening without a key, except I got an error message saying "convertible top not secured." Did you ever find out anything else on why this was happening or how to fix it?
Likely a failed cable harness. The 200S/Sebring are famous for them. Can't buy a replacement for them any more so you will have to ring out the harness and find broken wire or wires. Like broken right at the big bend at the trunk hinge.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are you getting a 'top malfunction' or 'top not secured' displayed? If so, getting the diagnostic codes as 200_s_awd suggests is necessary to determine where to start.

If there is no top malfunction displayed, the window drop is the first step. After the window drop, the trunk deck will open and the tonneau will extend. Only after this will the header latch motor activate to unlatch the top. The latch motor is midway through the top operation.

Before any top operation is started the PTCM will check the state of the various switches and sensors to determine if it is ok to proceed. At any time the sensor and switch readings do not match what the PTCM expects the top operation stops, a dtc is set and the 'top malfunction' is displayed.
Hello, my top is down and it shows "Top Malfunction" and nothing moves. What can I do??

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
2,865 Posts
Welcome to the forums. The following are Copy/Pastes of helpful info when a top fails. If the PTCM determines that a fault exists that could do hardware damage or be a safety hazard, it may not allow emergency bypass to occur.

Emergency Bypass Mode (To Raise The Top Only)
• This procedure is only to be used to raise the top when the top cannot be returned to the UP
(raised) position by pressing the POWER TOP switch or is in a position in which the vehicle
cannot be driven. Please follow these emergency bypass instructions to return the top to the
UP (raised) position.
• Press the POWER TOP switch in the Top Up direction five times within two seconds and hold
the switch in the Top Up position for a minimum of two minutes.
• If damage starts to occur while in the Emergency Bypass Mode, immediately release the
POWER TOP switch and see your authorized dealer.
NOTE:
This procedure may take more time to fully raise and close the power top. It is not
uncommon to see delays of up to 30 seconds before operation begins.

Always diagnose first. The PTCM (power top control module) has the ability to store fault codes and perform tests.
Each fault code has a procedure to narrow down the Possible Causes and nail the culprit. Guesses (even the good ones) can get expensive and frustrating:

MODULE, Power Top Control (PTCM)
  • Diagnosis and Testing
    • B18D1-CONVERTIBLE TOP RETRACTED POSITION SENSOR CIRCUIT PERFORMANCE
    • B18D2-CONVERTIBLE TOP RETRACTED POSITION SENSOR CIRCUIT LOW
    • B1929-LEFT REAR WINDOW CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN OR HARDWARE THERMO PROTECTION ACTIVE
    • B192D-RIGHT REAR WINDOW CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN OR HARDWARE THERMO PROTECTION ACTIVE
    • B210A-SYSTEM VOLTAGE LOW
    • B210B-SYSTEM VOLTAGE HIGH
    • B210D-BATTERY VOLTAGE LOW
    • B210E-BATTERY VOLTAGE HIGH
    • B21C1-PTCM LEFT WINDOW/HEADER POWER SUPPLY CIRCUIT
    • B21C2-PTCM LEFT WINDOW/HEADER MOTOR GROUND CIRCUIT
    • B21C3-PTCM RIGHT WINDOW/TONNEAU POWER SUPPLY CIRCUIT
    • B21C4-PTCM RIGHT WINDOW/TONNEAU MOTOR GROUND CIRCUIT
    • B21C5-PUMP POWER SUPPLY CIRCUIT
    • B21C6-PUMP GROUND CIRCUIT
    • B2278-POWER TOP CONTROL MODULE INTERNAL
    • B235A-PRODUCTION MODE
    • B2520-CONVERTIBLE TOP HEADER LATCH CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN OR HARDWARE THERMO PROTECTION ACTIVE
    • B2528-TONNEAU COVER CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN OR HARDWARE THERMO PROTECTION ACTIVE
    • B2529-DECKLID RELEASE CONTROL CIRCUIT PERFORMANCE
    • B252A-DECKLID RELEASE CONTROL CIRCUIT LOW
    • B2530-CONVERTIBLE TOP CONTROL CIRCUIT 1 OPEN
    • B2534-CONVERTIBLE TOP CONTROL CIRCUIT 2 OPEN
    • B2539-CONVERTIBLE TOP HEADER LATCH/UNLATCH LIMIT SWITCH CORRELATION
    • B253A-CONVERTIBLE TOP HEADER LATCH LIMIT SWITCH PERFORMANCE
    • B253B-CONVERTIBLE TOP HEADER LATCH LIMIT SWITCH CIRCUIT LOW
    • B253D-CONVERTIBLE TOP HEADER UNLATCH LIMIT SWITCH PERFORMANCE
    • B253E-CONVERTIBLE TOP HEADER UNLATCH LIMIT SWITCH CIRCUIT LOW
    • B2540-CONVERTIBLE TOP SENSE LIMIT SWITCH/CONVERTIBLE TOP POSITION SENSOR CORRELATION
    • B2541-CONVERTIBLE TOP SENSE LIMIT SWITCH PERFORMANCE
    • B2542-CONVERTIBLE TOP SENSE LIMIT SWITCH CIRCUIT LOW
    • B2544-DECKLID LATCH LIMIT SWITCH/DECKLID POSITION SENSOR CORRELATION
    • B2545-DECKLID LATCH LIMIT SWITCH PERFORMANCE
    • B2546-DECKLID LATCH LIMIT SWITCH CIRCUIT LOW
    • B2548-TONNEAU RETRACT/EXTEND LIMIT SWITCH CORRELATION
    • B2549-TONNEAU RETRACT LIMIT SWITCH PERFORMANCE
    • B254A-TONNEAU RETRACTED LIMIT SWITCH CIRCUIT LOW
    • B254C-TONNEAU EXTEND LIMIT SWITCH PERFORMANCE
    • B254D-TONNEAU EXTEND LIMIT SWITCH CIRCUIT LOW
    • B254F-CONVERTIBLE TOP PANEL LATCH/PANEL UNLATCH LIMIT SWITCH CORRELATION
    • B2550-CONVERTIBLE TOP PANEL LATCH LIMIT SWITCH PERFORMANCE
    • B2551-CONVERTIBLE TOP PANEL LATCH LIMIT SWITCH CIRCUIT LOW
    • B2553-CONVERTIBLE TOP PANEL UNLATCH LIMIT SWITCH PERFORMANCE
    • B2554-CONVERTIBLE TOP PANEL UNLATCH LIMIT SWITCH CIRCUIT LOW
    • B255D-DECKLID OPEN POSITION SENSOR CIRCUIT PERFORMANCE
    • B255E-DECKLID OPEN POSITION SENSOR CIRCUIT LOW
    • B2579-CONVERTIBLE TOP SWITCH CIRCUIT PERFORMANCE
    • B257A-CONVERTIBLE TOP SWITCH CIRCUIT LOW
    • B2515-REAR WINDOW POSITION SENSOR SUPPLY CIRCUIT LOW
    • B2517-LEFT REAR WINDOW POSITION SENSOR 1 CIRCUIT PERFORMANCE
    • B2518-LEFT REAR WINDOW POSITION SENSOR 2 CIRCUIT PERFORMANCE
    • B2519-RIGHT REAR WINDOW POSITION SENSOR 1 CIRCUIT PERFORMANCE
    • B251A-RIGHT REAR WINDOW POSITION SENSOR 2 CIRCUIT PERFORMANCE
    • B251B-LEFT REAR WINDOW - INCORRECT DIRECTION
    • B251C-RIGHT REAR WINDOW - INCORRECT DIRECTION
    • U0020-CAN B BUS OFF PERFORMANCE

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm writing again from a computer, maybe this time there will be an IP address.

Anyways, I am pretty sure I got it figured out what the problem is with the convertible top for the latter sebrings and 200.

If anyone needs help free of charge, please contact me and I will be of assistance.
I know this is a few years later but my daughter just purchased her first car, 2012 Chrysler 200 ...she is having issues with the top...can you point us in the right direction?

·
Registered
310 Posts
SavioDuarte has left the forum.

Please describe the issues. Are there any error messages being displayed? When does the top failure occur, part-way open, not opening at all?

You may want to post over at 'sebringclub.net' dedicated to chrysler convertibles. There is more knowledge there than any dealer would likely have and more than willing to assist.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I'm a dealer in Orlando Florida and just had 2 of those cars come in with top problems.

I sent the hard top to Chrysler dealer and after paying $135 to be told they ran tests and it all failed.

They wanted another $270 then if no luck another $400 also diagnose the problem.

I got fed up and took it back.

I unbolted the headed plate and did several tests myself, which took less than 1 hour ($135) they charged me at the dealer.

Bottom line, the problem is the motor that powers the latch that clamps down the top to the windshield frame.

Motor gets week and can power it all the way so that the switch sees it latched.

I checked the second soft top 200 and the problem was the same.

I found out by removing the motor and operating the latches manually and everything worked perfectly.

Top opens and closes flawlessly.

Chrysler dealerships don't know anything and charge a lot for no work performed.

Any one needing help with this, let me know. I can help.
I need help. My 2014 has the same problem. I tried to turn the star key but it is stuck. How do you remove the motor to replace it?
Mike Stoppels

·
Registered
3 Posts
You might want to try the Sebring/200 convertible forum.

* Chrysler Sebring / 200 Convertible Club *

I have a 2012 200 convertible but I don't have an answer for your question. There are ways for service techs to manually lower a stuck top. I found the following in the owner's manual regarding emergency operation of the top....

Emergency Bypass Mode (To Raise The Top Only)
• This procedure is only to be used to raise the top when the top cannot be returned to the
UP (raised) position by pressing the POWER TOP switch or is in a position in which the
vehicle cannot be driven. Please follow these emergency bypass instructions to return the
top to the UP (raised) position.
• Press the POWER TOP switch in the Top Up direction five times within two seconds and
hold the switch in the Top Up position for a minimum of two minutes.
• If damage starts to occur while in the Emergency Bypass Mode, immediately release the
POWER TOP switch and see your authorized dealer.
NOTE: This procedure may take more time to fully raise and close the power top. It is not
uncommon to see delays of up to 30 seconds before operation begins.
I have the same problem. Won't work

·
Registered
2 Posts
Convertable Top Stuck

I just had the same thing happen to my 2011 200S Convertable. Top is almost fully closed within a qtr inch. Only way to tell it is not fully closed is the note on the dashboard and when driving faster than 20mph you can hear the wind coming in through the small barely noticeable gap. Also trunk will not open.

What did you end up doing? I have the exact same problem!!

Thank you

·
Registered
4 Posts

Anyways, I am pretty sure I got it figured out what the problem is with the convertible top for the latter sebrings and 200.

If anyone needs help free of charge, please contact me and I will be of assistance.
Dealing with what appears to be the same problem. I replaced the latching motor and tried to position the latching mechanisms in several locations; from latch totally open to slightly more closed. And this is with the plate reinstalled. I've filled the hydraulic pump. The new latching motor does not seem to try and move. My guess is there is a switch that hasn't been made. I would appreciate any help.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I would suggest visiting the 'sebringclub.net' site, dedicated to the care and feeding of chrysler ragtops.. There one contributor that has put together a guide on the operation of the top and trouble-shooting any issues.

Where in the top opening sequence is the failure occurring? The header latch motor operation is after the trunk lid opens and the toneau cover extends.

The two main areas of trouble are the header latch motor not completing its operation to trigger the 'operation complete' sequence. This typically is seen as a 'top not secured' message. The other area is the wiring harness by the right trunk hinge. There is a significant bend in the harness that is stressed when the trunk is opened or closed. The problem here is likely a broken wire in the harness at the bend. This is typically seen as a 'top malfunction' message.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Recently purchased 2012 200 convertible. 24,000 miles. Such a great find! We had new tires and brakes put on.
The top was working fine before this. Now it seems as if no power at all to top. I have checked several times to make sure the trunk is set up correctly with the v slot. The car is in park and on. The up down switch has no response. I looked at fuse # 1. Does not seem to look blown. I am going to replace it and try that first. My thoughts are any wires that could have been compromised during brakes or tire repair? Seems so odd stop working and with so little miles. I washed it and vacuum recently. I am heart broken. Never got to drive with the top down yet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
😀

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
2,865 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on the find. Check the basics first. Any slight dimming of courtesy lights when actuating the top switch? Do the side windows drop slighty when actuating the switch? Trunk lid wires were known to fatigue & break after many flex cycles.
I can't see any brake or wheel service affecting the top operation. Enter a problem into the Search Community at the top of this page and read other discussions on power top issues.

Reactions: ggoose

·
Registered
2 Posts
No dimming of lights or window drop. The switch has no response at all when I push up or down to activate the top.
Do you think a fuse or is it possible the switch is bad inside the car? Or is it possible that the button in trunk is bad?
I am going to get a fuse for 5 dollars and start there.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Are there any messages appearing in the evic (compass/temp display)? If a top switch is not in the proper position it will not open but will display a message, e.g. 'cargo shield not secure' if there cargo shield is not in place of the switch is bad. I mention the cargo shield as it is the first check made. Fold the cargo shield and see if the message appears when attempting to open the top. If no message appears it may be the console switch or a power issue but this is a guess only.

I would suggest posting on 'sebringclub.net' which is dedicated to sebring/200 ragtops. There is more collective convertible top knowledge there than found in most any dealer or convertible specialty shop. One contributor has put together a guide describing the operation of the top and a diagnostic step-by-step. One of the tools used is the DiagFCA AppCar software and an OBD link to interogate the top switches and operate the top step-by-step (total cost for both is around $100).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I'm a dealer in Orlando Florida and just had 2 of those cars come in with top problems.

I sent the hard top to Chrysler dealer and after paying $135 to be told they ran tests and it all failed.

They wanted another $270 then if no luck another $400 also diagnose the problem.

I unbolted the headed plate and did several tests myself, which took less than 1 hour ($135) they charged me at the dealer.

Bottom line, the problem is the motor that powers the latch that clamps down the top to the windshield frame.

Motor gets week and can power it all the way so that the switch sees it latched.

I found out by removing the motor and operating the latches manually and everything worked perfectly.

Chrysler dealerships don't know anything and charge a lot for no work performed.

Sounds like my situation. Just to be sure, you had the headplate down and were able to open/close the top?

·
Registered
4 Posts

I just posted a reply to your previous post. My email is [email protected]. I tried replacing the motor with no luck. Interested in your experience, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As a frustrated 2011 200 convertible owner, I also had top problems. Last year, I too got the dreaded "top not secure" Someone on another forum gave me the fix. The trunk also did not open with the fob or the dash button, and it was all related to a limit switch that had not quite set. The solution was to grab the silver strut on the side of the trunk just behind the taillight, when the trunk is open, and pull up on it a bit. You should see the wire cable that runs over it move slightly. It could be the left or the right one, so check both. Solved my problem with very little effort. Hope this helps
Thanks for your story......I had the same problem on a 2013. Replaced the hatch motor and nothing changed. I slid both struts up and down and heard the drivers side strut engage a switch. Pulling up and pushing down I could hear the click of the switch. Cycled the top two times and worked great. One thing to notice; the top of the strut on both sides has a small plastic piece that anchors a metal bead attached to a metal cable. On the driver's side this plastic piece had a crack that allowed the bead to pop out. Had to reposition the bead to open/close the top. Our bandaid fix was to use a tie wrap and super glue to secure the bead in the plastic piece. Took awhile to position the tie wrap but it holds the bead in place. If you try and put the top down and the trunk only attemps to lift the passenger side, look at the top of the strut.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
I just recently bought a 2011 Chrysler 200 convertible and my top is doing the exact same thing yours was and having all the same other issues with the rear defrost not working and the trunk not opening without a key, except I got an error message saying "convertible top not secured." Did you ever find out anything else on why this was happening or how to fix it?
I also ran into this problem. Long story short: for the top to go up or down certain steps must go in order for it to all work. You get the malfunction message when in the middle of one of the steps, you stopped it and tried to go the other way before finishing the step it was in. To fix this we got a OBD-2 scanner/reader (FoxWell scanner) it will read your car and tell you what problems the car is having. It will let you reset codes after replacing parts. And it has a manual override section for the top. You have to do each step in the order they have and once you get the top and sensors all reset, then no more error. If putting top down or open, don't stop and restart or try to put back up before it is all the way down. This is where the malfunction comes from. We also had the locks above the windshield work but not click into the system program (sensors not register it is done) and it would cause the error. Make sure they fully set when open and when closed.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Please tell me how. My boyfriend had to lock the top of my 2012 200 manually locking, it would no longer go up or down. I miss riding with the top down. How can I fix this?

101 - 120 of 132 Posts