Chrysler 200 Forum banner
121 - 132 of 132 Posts

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
2,865 Posts
SavioDuarte has left the forum. He kinda said good-bye in post #77. He hasn't logged in since June 2021.
Now that convertible weather is here again, it is time to drive with the wind & sun on you. ☺

Begin with a diagnosis. Is the top getting stuck on the way down? Any messages in the cluster?
There is a wealth of knowledge here. Type some keywords into the "Search Community" at the top of the page for possible answers. The problems are usually electrical or mechanical. Sometimes simple, sometimes not.
Chances are that someone here has been through the same problem. See how they found out what was wrong. See what they did to fix it.

Unlock the top and see what it does or doesn't do. You can usually always get it back up manually if it quits.
The more you can tell us, the easier it is to figure it out.

• Helpful
Reactions: Administrator

·
Registered
1 Posts
In regards to the above post #13.
The I.P. address of this post is invalid, which raises suspicion with me.
While I appreciate anybody wanting to help with our vehicles, I must post this message for everyone to be careful of who you reply to, or correspond with.

fltru103 - mod
It worked for me. It's valid. No one needs to beware of #13

·
Registered
1 Posts
DiagFCA AppCar software and an OBD link to interogate the top switches and operate the top step-by-step (total cost for both is around $100)
I am new to this forum, and I'm not sure how it works. I joined because I have a 2011 Chrysler 200 convertible with a "top malfunction" problem. I am interested in getting the diagnostic device and software, but when I look into it, there is a wide variety of available. Specifically, I looked at Foxwell devices and see several scanners ranging from $60 to several hundred dollars. I also see that there's a lot of software. I'm looking for a device/software to check this and other problems and vehicles. I have a 2019 Jeep, too.

Can you (or someone) be a little more specific as to what I should be looking for in these devices/software? I appreciate any help you may be able to offer. Thanks!

·
Registered
310 Posts
I would suggest visiting the 'sebringclub.net' site, dedicated to the care and feeding of chrysler ragtops.. There one contributor that has put together a guide on the operation of the top and trouble-shooting any issues.

Where in the top opening sequence is the failure occurring? The header latch motor operation is after the trunk lid opens and the toneau cover extends.

The two main areas of trouble are the header latch motor not completing its operation to trigger the 'operation complete' sequence. This typically is seen as a 'top not secured' message. The other area is the wiring harness by the right trunk hinge. There is a significant bend in the harness that is stressed when the trunk is opened or closed. The problem here is likely a broken wire in the harness at the bend. This is typically seen as a 'top malfunction' message.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You might want to try the Sebring/200 convertible forum.

* Chrysler Sebring / 200 Convertible Club *

I have a 2012 200 convertible but I don't have an answer for your question. There are ways for service techs to manually lower a stuck top. I found the following in the owner's manual regarding emergency operation of the top....

Emergency Bypass Mode (To Raise The Top Only)
• This procedure is only to be used to raise the top when the top cannot be returned to the
UP (raised) position by pressing the POWER TOP switch or is in a position in which the
vehicle cannot be driven. Please follow these emergency bypass instructions to return the
top to the UP (raised) position.
• Press the POWER TOP switch in the Top Up direction five times within two seconds and
hold the switch in the Top Up position for a minimum of two minutes.
• If damage starts to occur while in the Emergency Bypass Mode, immediately release the
POWER TOP switch and see your authorized dealer.
NOTE: This procedure may take more time to fully raise and close the power top. It is not
uncommon to see delays of up to 30 seconds before operation begins.

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
2,865 Posts
Welcome to the forum. What year? Softtop or hardtop? Do you have more details? The top is stuck? Any messages in the cluster?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome to the forum. What year? Softtop or hardtop? Do you have more details? The top is stuck? Any messages in the cluster?
2011 hardtop Chrysler 200. Started with the wiring getting caught up with the moving parts. I went through the wiring and repaired all the wires to where theyre connected and not exposed. i checked the fuses. i checked the mechanisms above the windshield. They seem like theyre not moving fluid. im about to turn that star to reset those functions. i tried the 5 time up and hold with the switch and held it for ten minutes and nothing happened. As of right now i can move the top thats in the trunk nothing seems to be locked and might be able to pick it up with help. But i dont know what else to do

·
Registered
310 Posts
To begin diagnosing the problem you need to pull any dtc's (diagnostic trouble codes) from the ptcm (power top control module). A high end code reader/scanner should be able to do this but I would suggest appcar-diagFCA with an OBD link which you should be able to get for about $100.

I specifically note appcar-diagFCA as there is a repair guide on the 'sebringclub.net' forum that uses appcar to diagnose 200 convertible top issues. The guide shows how to pull the dtc's and read the sensors. There is a procedure on how to manually operate the top one step/operation at a time and read the sensors to identify any inconsistencies.

I will also suggest posting on 'sebringclub.net' as the forum is dedicated to the care and feeding of chrysler convertibles. They are more than generous with their time to get your top operational.

The repair guide is attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey
This happened to my car and it was a 5 minute fix. The knob that controls the latches was stuck. Take the upper panel behind the mirrors off. There is a "star" knob in the middle. Turn it to the right until it clicks. It will restart the closing cycle and everything will work fine.
hey @ce
This happened to my car and it was a 5 minute fix. The knob that controls the latches was stuck. Take the upper panel behind the mirrors off. There is a "star" knob in the middle. Turn it to the right until it clicks. It will restart the closing cycle and everything will work fine.
I’m having the same issue can u contact me 2513913989
Hi, I'm a dealer in Orlando Florida and just had 2 of those cars come in with top problems.

I sent the hard top to Chrysler dealer and after paying $135 to be told they ran tests and it all failed.

They wanted another $270 then if no luck another $400 also diagnose the problem.

I got fed up and took it back.

I unbolted the headed plate and did several tests myself, which took less than 1 hour ($135) they charged me at the dealer.

Bottom line, the problem is the motor that powers the latch that clamps down the top to the windshield frame.

Motor gets week and can power it all the way so that the switch sees it latched.

I checked the second soft top 200 and the problem was the same.

I found out by removing the motor and operating the latches manually and everything worked perfectly.

Top opens and closes flawlessly.

Chrysler dealerships don't know anything and charge a lot for no work performed.

Any one needing help with this, let me know. I can help.
I'm not sure why someone would say my IP address is invalid. I am posting thru my smart phone. Would that be why?

Anyways, I'm not trying to charge anybody. I am just trying to pay it forward.

I spent $135 for nothing, so I would like to help other people with the same problem.

As a car dealer, I'm presented with all kinds of issues and the internet always help with other people sharing the same problem and also offering the solution.

That is the reason why I posted.

Was to do my part. I have been helped many times and now is my turn to do the same.
hi I need help can u call me 2513913989

·
Registered
310 Posts
Please note SavioDuate has left the forum.

If you would please note the year of your 200 and if it is a soft-top or hard-top.

What is the issue you are experiencing? For example, top not opening, stopping part-way, not closing, etc. Any messages being displayed, 'top not secured' or 'top malfunction', etc? Most often any top operation issue will set a dtc (diagnostic trouble code) in the ptcm (power top control module). Being able to pull the dtc's will help in determining what the issues may be and where to start trouble-shooting. Many scanners and auto parts stores are not able to pull ptcm codes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The diagFCA software is totally worth the price of admission and more so for add on vehicles. One time license purchase per vin. Aside from DTCs and such, ya get all the registers in the controller - top ready, lid latched, pump direction and ya can even operate a few of the bits.

Generally what I hear, goes like this:
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

this bundle includes license plate lamp, boot motor / limit sw, antenna, trunk latch. it's wrapped too tight at the factory and all too common.

while I'm at it:
Azure Rectangle Font Screenshot Operating system

app will create a log, has a real time viewer, clunky to customize.

Light Font Line Parallel Screenshot

121 - 132 of 132 Posts