Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the convertible top operation starts, The trunk opens, the other cover then meets the thrunk,
the convertible top begins to rise and stops about one foot off the windshield and then it locks up.
"convertible top not secure" is the fault. I don't see any loose wires or anything out of place?
I need to understand why, I am mechanically inclined. I can read and repair most things. but I can't find
any info on why the dance of the top fails at that moment.
HELP

·
Registered
562 Posts
I replied to your PM. It certainly is a complicated top mechanism. The two latching "ears" should raise out of the windshield header as the top raises. I can't remember exactly when this happens in the cycle. Honestly I think I would take my car to the dealer if I were in your situation.

Does it make the normal noises? The pump is in the rear near the license plate and you can see it if you take out the spare tire. Low fluid in the pump might make it fail to close but I would thinkit would make a funny noise if the fluid was low. The only way it could loose fluid would be a leak and you would probably see evidence when you checked around near the spare.

There was a guy on the Sebring/200 convertible forum who had a similar problem and he took the latch mechanism out of the windshield header and eventually got it working again but I don't know if that is your issue or not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 Chrysler 200 convertible. Top goes down fine but stops midway when closing. Read an article about Sebring with same problem. They suggested topping off hydraulic fluid in pump located behind rear seat. Tried removing back seat...bottom came out fine but could not get back off. Is it bolted on. What is secret in removing. Now my concern is.... is the hydraulic pump behind seat as in older Sebring or is it near spare tire?????

·
Registered
562 Posts
I've seen the pump when I had my spare out. Right near the license plate area. I would think you'd see fluid in the trunk area if you had a leak. I'm sort of doubtful that it's the fluid level but still worth checking.

I remember a thread from the Sebring convertible forum where a guy had a similar issue and it was a problem in the latch mechanism behind the trim near the passenger side sun visor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This happened to my car and it was a 5 minute fix. The knob that controls the latches was stuck. Take the upper panel behind the mirrors off. There is a "star" knob in the middle. Turn it to the right until it clicks. It will restart the closing cycle and everything will work fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As the convertible top operation starts, The trunk opens, the other cover then meets the thrunk,
the convertible top begins to rise and stops about one foot off the windshield and then it locks up.
"convertible top not secure" is the fault. I don't see any loose wires or anything out of place?
I need to understand why, I am mechanically inclined. I can read and repair most things. but I can't find
any info on why the dance of the top fails at that moment.
HELP
Where do you find the answer to this convertble top problem mine is doing same thing:(

·
Registered
3 Posts
  1. Hello friends. My Sebring 2010 convertible trunk wouldn't close yesterday. The roof closed but the trunk hang in the air. I was able to open it and now have a summer version - open roof. I cannot close it, shows malfunction. I read advice here and touched the limit switch on the right side. There was something like a very tiny spring that fell off... please see the pictures. One is with the cover and obe without the cover. You can see that switch- or rather a little lever is loose. So i cannot close the roof. I am afraid using bypass. What if it gets stuck... what to do? Please please help. What is the name of that spring- part? Where to buy it? Can I safely try bypass so I can drive my car with the roof closed?

Attachments

·
Registered
562 Posts
I can't tell from the pictures what's wrong. Did you find the part that came off? I looked at one of the online Chrysler parts vendors and see some of the switches are available but others are not. Here is a link to the page...

One known issue that causes top problems is broken wires in the wiring harness near the passenger side trunk hinge and it might be worth a look. There is a lot more discussion about the top mechanism on the Chrysler convertible forum. Here is a link and you might want to post something there and see if somebody has any ideas.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you so much Dale. I went to a dealer today. They put the spring that I lost but the roof doesnt want to close. It stops in the middle of the cycle. The soft roof closes but the trunk hangs in the air. They tried to unblock all kind of sensors. Nope. The stubborn trunk stops up in the air. But tomorrow they will be looking at the electrics... may be like you said --- the wires. Just God help me avoid thousands of dollars. I wonder why the dealer didn't want to do an emergency bypass. He said it is more complicated than it is in the manual. Thanks again. I will update.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Also. My membesrship in the convertible club is waiting for approval... cant do anything there but I read it yesterday- all day. Driving with the open roof is a bit uncomfortable. Rains dont care.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts