Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 chrysler 200s 3.6l engine with about 54k miles. I have replaced head gaskets, oil cooler, water pump, thermostat, radiator, and fan. However, the fan only goes into high speed at times. Other times engine temp goes up to about 238 at which point I have to stop the car. Any ideas on why this could be?

·
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
636 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Any (TIPM or PCM) fault codes? Any excessive pressure build-up in the cooling system?
Were all these parts replaced because of the overheating?
The cooling fan should only be necessary at stops and at lower speeds. On the road at highway speeds, enough air should be flowing through the radiator to keep things cool.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forums. Any (TIPM or PCM) fault codes? Any excessive pressure build-up in the cooling system?
Were all these parts replaced because of the overheating?
The cooling fan should only be necessary at stops and at lower speeds. On the road at highway speeds, enough air should be flowing through the radiator to keep things cool.
There was a leak in the water pump from there they noticed water dripping from exhaust so decided to replace head gaskets. Car had been hot in the front so the fan and radiator were replaced then. Also, no there is no pressure build up and yes temp only goes up at stops and slow speeds. Thing is that it's not all the way the time plus, you can hear the fan go to high speed when it does kick in. Problem is it doesn't do it all the time.

·
636 Posts
It does sound like intermittent electrical. Check the harness, grounds and connectors. All fuses and relays, etc fully seated?

·
Registered
444 Posts
The fan will only go to high when the a/c is on or the temp is high. Closer too 250deg. 238 is pretty norm on warm days for this car. Changing the radiator is a big job on this car, hopefully it wasnt for no reason. When you say you had too stop the car, is the over temp light coming on?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The fan will only go to high when the a/c is on or the temp is high. Closer too 250deg. 238 is pretty norm on warm days for this car. Changing the radiator is a big job on this car, hopefully it wasnt for no reason. When you say you had too stop the car, is the over temp light coming on?
Temp gets to 240 almost 3/4 of the way on gauge. Ac on and fan does not go to high.when it does work fine high will come on at about 220

·
Registered
444 Posts
I think its normal. Thats where my car runs in warmer temps. If its not going higher than that sitting at idle you should be good.

·
636 Posts
I'm running between 205°F - 218℉ (96℃ - 103℃) at an ambient temp of 70℉ (21℃).
One basic, simple thing that can cause elevated temperatures is coolant/water concentrations. A 50/50 mix of OAT antifreeze meeting Chrysler MS-12106 and soft, distilled water is recommended.
A deviation in the 50/50 mixture can cause issues.
From Autologic:

"The suggested amount is fifty percent water, fifty percent glycol coolant. This mixture ratio has a lower freezing point, and allows heat to transfer from the engine to the air. If you use 100% coolant, you are putting your engine at risk of failing. If you use 100% water, it can cause your engine to overheat. This is why It is best to use the 50/50 mixture of coolant and water for optimal performance".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will try replacing the temperature sensor just to see if that helps. Has to be something not sending the signal to the fan to go to high

·
Registered
143 Posts
I believe its normal.
Mine does the same thing when i idle for a couple of minutes in hot/mild weather.

Then at around 113C, fan kicks in and it drops.
I was told its normal.

Other than that, its alway 3-4mm below the half mark.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I believe its normal.
Mine does the same thing when i idle for a couple of minutes in hot/mild weather.

Then at around 113C, fan kicks in and it drops.
I was told its normal.

Other than that, its alway 3-4mm below the half mark.
Strange part is it kicks in at a lower temp when it wants. I just don't think it's normal to run at slow speeds at almost 3/4 on temp gauge

·
Registered
143 Posts
Strange part is it kicks in at a lower temp when it wants. I just don't think it's normal to run at slow speeds at almost 3/4 on temp gauge
3/4 nope, not normal.

Mine kicks in around 2min after the half mark.

I was referring to the pictures though. Those pictures looked normal to me if the fan kicks in at that mark.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
3/4 nope, not normal.

Mine kicks in around 2min after the half mark.

I was referring to the pictures though. Those pictures looked normal to me if the fan kicks in at that mark.
Yeah, it won't, honestly after the temp sensor if that don't work I'm ready to throw in the towel lol

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a 2017, 2.4 with 45k miles...my fan kicks on religiously at 230 at low speed, stop and go ect ect...takes it down to about 200 then shuts off until it sees 230 again. At highway speeds the car settles at 195ish without the fan running. Fan kicks on when A/C is on. Every once in awhile I get the slightest smell of anti-freeze when the car get close to that 230 mark but I had the dealer check it out twice and they couldn't find a problem. I'm not losing anti-freeze or if I am it's not perceptible. No leaks.

·
Super Moderator
1,998 Posts
I have a 2017, 2.4 with 45k miles...my fan kicks on religiously at 230 at low speed, stop and go ect ect...takes it down to about 200 then shuts off until it sees 230 again. At highway speeds the car settles at 195ish without the fan running. Fan kicks on when A/C is on. Every once in awhile I get the slightest smell of anti-freeze when the car get close to that 230 mark but I had the dealer check it out twice and they couldn't find a problem. I'm not losing anti-freeze or if I am it's not perceptible. No leaks.
Mine does the same thing, and I have only noticed that slight antifreeze smell once or twice.
Just returned from a road trip and watched temps along the way. Exactly what you describe.
Fuel mileage hit 40 MPG cruising highway speeds.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Ive smelled that slight antifreeze smell since day one and still do. Not losing any, I think its just the pressure bleeding off from the crappy hose connections and other weak spots or the over flow.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts