Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, new here and have a couple questions about the 2013 200S I inherited from my dad.

First up, I went to take the car out today and wash it, battery was dead. I dont drive it much because the plates are expired and I havent been able to transfer the title yet. I did a search and it says the battery is in the wheel well OR under the rear seat. Which is the right location?

The other issue ha to do with the radio. When I try to listen to FM radio I get almost no reception, Im in a somewhat rural area of FL, but I first noticed this when I was in Chicago and had trouble tuning stations in and getting a good signal. Then about 2 months ago when I took the car out the radio would play for 2 seconds, then cut out for 2 seconds and kept doing that, it didnt seem to matter if it was on FM, Sirius, or even with a CD playing. Sound would come and go every 2 seconds. Today, the battery was dead when I went to take the car out, so I charged the battery and got it to start and took it for a drive to finish charging the battery. While driving I noticed the radio was playing fine (on Sirius), then when I stopped for gas and turned the car off it started doing it again, 2 seconds with sound, 2 seconds without. Stopped again to wash the car, got back in and everything was fine, again. Has anyone else had this problem? Is this or was this caused by a low charge on the battery (even on a long drive it didnt get better and the battery should have been charged after driving an hour)? Do you think it would be caused by a battery going bad, its probably the original battery still in the car.

Thanks in advance for the help and for having a forum for these cars.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,324 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Your friendly local auto parts store should be able to test the battery/charging system in the parking lot for free, if they are staffed and not too busy.
The battery is mounted under the LF wheelhouse shield, in front of the LF wheel. If it is an original battery, after 8 years it may be time.

Which radio? You might see a sales code in white letters, on the lower right corner of the faceplate beginning with an 'R' as shown below.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Agree with replacing the battery if it is original. A quick check of the battery, the voltage should be 12.4+ volts for a battery in good condition. 12.2 volts is acceptable but 12 volts or less indicates a weak/failing battery. Check the battery after the engine has been stopped for at least 20 minutes; you need to let the surface charge dissipate to get an accurate reading. Both the positive and negative cables from the battery have connection points in the engine compartment.

Yes, a weak/failing battery may affect the radio. If the voltage is low, some systems will shut themselves off. Note that a weak/failing battery may also affect the charging system as the battery is necessary to stabilize the output pf the alternator and keep the car voltage steady and over 12 volts.

Note that the 'we will replace your battery free' does not apply to the 200. Even though the battery can be replaced without removing the LF tire, I find the additional room makes the battery replacement a lot easier.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,324 Posts
Then it is a RES radio. Fairly common in all Chrysler products. It is a base radio, simple, no TSBs or software updates like the more complex radios.
It is likely an internal problem as there is no external amplifier. If it cuts out on Sirius and CD, the AM/FM antenna is probably OK.
You can look for a used radio. If it says Anti-Theft on the faceplate by the CD slot, you will also want the 4-digit security code for the replacement radio from the seller (or the VIN of the car it came out of).

There are online tutorials on removal and service of these radios if you or someone you know can solder small (SMT) components. The problem may be a loose or broken solder joint that needs a reflow? I don't know your tools or skills inventory

The problem may not be the specific chip in this video, look for any loose or fractured solder joints and touch-up any that appear to be suspicious:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Agree with replacing the battery if it is original. A quick check of the battery, the voltage should be 12.4+ volts for a battery in good condition. 12.2 volts is acceptable but 12 volts or less indicates a weak/failing battery. Check the battery after the engine has been stopped for at least 20 minutes; you need to let the surface charge dissipate to get an accurate reading. Both the positive and negative cables from the battery have connection points in the engine compartment.

Yes, a weak/failing battery may affect the radio. If the voltage is low, some systems will shut themselves off. Note that a weak/failing battery may also affect the charging system as the battery is necessary to stabilize the output pf the alternator and keep the car voltage steady and over 12 volts.

Note that the 'we will replace your battery free' does not apply to the 200. Even though the battery can be replaced without removing the LF tire, I find the additional room makes the battery replacement a lot easier.
Also, don't forget to test the voltage output of the alternator. A good one will put out 14 volts. If the battery is not getting the proper charge, it will not work right. Eight year old battery is at the end of life and you could have dead cells.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Batteries do not last 8 years these days. If it lasts 4 years it’s a miracle. Even the ‘high quality’ Interstates. My mother’s grand am had an interstate from 2001 to 2013, only replaced it because of its age, it started the car just fine. Ive lost count on the amount of batteries I’ve put in my 2012 200 since new

1 - 7 of 7 Posts