Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 200 HT Conv, 3.6L My problem is I have a cruise control that works ONLY when it wants to work. Driving on the interstate at 65MPH, push the on/off button, I can feel it click but the activation light does not come on. Try this repeatedly giving it about a 10 to several minute delay and still nothing. Then, when I get fed up but still only pushing the on/off button with normal pressure it decides to come on. I push the SET button and all works as it should. Please tell me what is my problem with the on/off button? Thank You, Bil

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
2,077 Posts
Next time it fails to engage, try lifting up on the brake pedal with your toe and try again. Sometimes these brake switches are on the cusp of being out of adjustment.
The brake pedal switch is actually 3 switches in one, so your brake lights may be working fine.
The cruise control brake switch portion is normally closed. It is interrupted (opens) when you push the pedal.
The rear brake lamp switch portion is normally open. It closes when you push the pedal to light the lights.
The PCM brake 'sense' switch portion is normally open. It provides a path to ground when you press the pedal (closes) so that the PCM knows when you are braking.
Modern brake pedal switches aren't really adustable. Once a replacement is installed, it sets to the correct depth with a pedal application and it is complete.

If it is not a brake switch problem, drive the car with a scan tool or AlfaOBD to watch the switch states on the display. It should show each steering wheel button push and the brake pedal push. The dealer scan tool (WiTech2), will show the reason for the last cruise disengagement. This is very useful for intermittent issues.

Font Material property Rectangle Number Screenshot

Rectangle Font Line Parallel Pattern

Reactions: fltru103

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[/QUOTE]
Next time it fails to engage, try lifting up on the brake pedal with your toe and try again. Sometimes these brake switches are on the cusp of being out of adjustment.
The brake pedal switch is actually 3 switches in one, so your brake lights may be working fine.
The cruise control brake switch portion is normally closed. It is interrupted (opens) when you push the pedal.
The rear brake lamp switch portion is normally open. It closes when you push the pedal to light the lights.
The PCM brake 'sense' switch portion is normally open. It provides a path to ground when you press the pedal (closes) so that the PCM knows when you are braking.
Modern brake pedal switches aren't really adustable. Once a replacement is installed, it sets to the correct depth with a pedal application and it is complete.

If it is not a brake switch problem, drive the car with a scan tool or AlfaOBD to watch the switch states on the display. It should show each steering wheel button push and the brake pedal push. The dealer scan tool (WiTech2), will show the reason for the last cruise disengagement. This is very useful for intermittent issues.

View attachment 59229

View attachment 59230
Thank You for your reply and suggestion/recommendation. Will try lifting up the brake pedal with my toe the next time the cruise control fails to engage. Bill

·
Registered
593 Posts
My 2012 convertible has a cruise control that sometimes doesn't work and I'm positive it's the switch on the steering wheel. I suspect your car might have a bad switch too. I bought a replacement switch and the part is not expensive but I never felt the need to actually replace it because it's really easy to make the original switch work again. Try rapping on the switch with your knuckles sort of like knocking on a door. That works 98% of the time for me. If that doesn't work, beep the horn normally and then try the cruise. One of these two tricks always works for me.

If you want to replace the switch you need to relocate the airbag to take off the silver trim bezel. The airbag is held in with two 10mm bolts that are easy to reach because there is a little plastic cover at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions. You can have the airbag loose in less than 2 minutes.

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
2,077 Posts
Safety first! Always disconnect the battery and wait a couple of minutes for the system to discharge before disturbing or servicing the airbag. Respect it!
Rectangle Font Circle Magenta Number

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My 2012 convertible has a cruise control that sometimes doesn't work and I'm positive it's the switch on the steering wheel. I suspect your car might have a bad switch too. I bought a replacement switch and the part is not expensive but I never felt the need to actually replace it because it's really easy to make the original switch work again. Try rapping on the switch with your knuckles sort of like knocking on a door. That works 98% of the time for me. If that doesn't work, beep the horn normally and then try the cruise. One of these two tricks always works for me.

If you want to replace the switch you need to relocate the airbag to take off the silver trim bezel. The airbag is held in with two 10mm bolts that are easy to reach because there is a little plastic cover at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions. You can have the airbag loose in less than 2 minutes.
Dale_K, I have no doubt that your procedure to correct a non engaging cruise control is not the school solution but it sure does work. Not sure how long it will continue to work but I guess the good part is I don't use the CC all that often and most of the time I am alone so I don't have to explain why I am knocking on the switches. Car just rolled up on 78,000 miles. It is however on the list for the dealer to look at the next time it is in for a service. Thank You Kind Sir! Bill

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 2013 200 HT Conv, 3.6L My problem is I have a cruise control that works ONLY when it wants to work. Driving on the interstate at 65MPH, push the on/off button, I can feel it click but the activation light does not come on. Try this repeatedly giving it about a 10 to several minute delay and still nothing. Then, when I get fed up but still only pushing the on/off button with normal pressure it decides to come on. I push the SET button and all works as it should. Please tell me what is my problem with the on/off button? Thank You, Bil
WHY CRUISE CONTROL DOES NOT WORK. CRUISE CONTROL FIX - YouTube
The above video talks about cruise control problems and it turned out to be the brake pedal switch. I have a 13 200 touring and have never had a problem with cruise control. I have a 07 Silverado and started having problems with cruise control. The problem started when it would not work in cold weather and then just sometimes and finally not at all. I changed out my brake pedal switch and it worked again. I was not sure about the brake pedal switch because the brake lights worked fine but seems the switch works the brake lights separate from the cruise control operation.

WHY CRUISE CONTROL IS NOT WORKING. TOP 3 REASONS CRUISE IS NOT WORKING - YouTube
#1 brake light switch
#2 push buttons for cruise control
#3 bad ABS speed sensor which is located on wheels.

Hope this helps

1 - 7 of 7 Posts