Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday morning while starting my car and driving to work I noticed that the car was idling roughly where the engine was shaking and the check engine light came on. When I drove the car felt like it was lacking power and anytime I press the gas pedal to accelerate the engine seemed to struggle. I immediately took it in to my dealer and left the car there. A few hours later they informed me that the car needed a "tune up" and changed bad spark plugs. So changing 6 spark plugs @ $20 each for a total of $120 plus labor took me to over $700. They claimed that it was 3.5 hrs labor to change the spark plugs. I argued with the manager and long story short they reduced the price to $550 plus tax. Well, I picked up my car, drove off and about 20 mins onto the HWY I get the check engine light come on again and the same problem with the lose of power and rough engine. So first thing this morning I bring my car right back to the dealer. As I am now typing this, I am waiting to see the outcome. At this point I am pissed because I fee like I wasted my money on the spark plugs when this could be a completely different problem.

·
Super Moderator
2,437 Posts
That's awful. I just went through something similar this myself.

I would ask the dealer if they bothered to check the ignition coils. Unfortunately, these are not covered under the power train warranty. The dealer replaced the coil, wanted to charge me $800 since it was under the upper plenum of the intake manifold.

A few weeks later, my car did the same thing again. This time I took it to the auto parts store and had a code read since I didn't have my scanner with me. Most auto parts stores don't charge to scan codes. It was a P0305 - that meant cylinder 5 misfire. I replaced the coil myself, got it at the parts store for $40 I think.

In your case, it could be or that it is one or 2 cylinders it could be coils, but if not, it could be the PCM, and that IS covered under power train warranty.

Hope that info helps and hope they get that resolved under warranty or cheap!

Please pardon the typos etc...

·
Super Moderator
1,819 Posts
So what happened ?
You didn't state the mileage on your vehicle either.
If the spark plug or plugs failed, before the recommended replacement interval, then a call to Chrysler might provide assistance.
Either way, they charged you for a service to repair your vehicle. The real issue is someplace else, so in my opinion, the first "repair" wasn't needed and either should be refunded, or cover the cost of any subsequent repairs.

So tell us ... what is the outcome ?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately there is still no outcome as my car is still there. At the end of the day on Friday they told me they wanted to keep it overnight to preform a cold start in the morning and drive it on the highway. So today I went to the dealer again and they told me that they still don’t know what the issue is and need more time to diagnose what it is. So now I’m looking at Monday to hopefully find out. This is all getting me worried and I am definitely going to argue about the refund for the spark plug replacement. For now I’m am stuck driving a rental Jeep Wrangler which isn’t very pleasant to drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's awful. I just went through something similar this myself.

I would ask the dealer if they bothered to check the ignition coils. Unfortunately, these are not covered under the power train warranty. The dealer replaced the coil, wanted to charge me $800 since it was under the upper plenum of the intake manifold.

A few weeks later, my car did the same thing again. This time I took it to the auto parts store and had a code read since I didn't have my scanner with me. Most auto parts stores don't charge to scan codes. It was a P0305 - that meant cylinder 5 misfire. I replaced the coil myself, got it at the parts store for $40 I think.

In your case, it could be or that it is one or 2 cylinders it could be coils, but if not, it could be the PCM, and that IS covered under power train warranty.

Hope that info helps and hope they get that resolved under warranty or cheap!

Please pardon the typos etc...
Thanks for the info, I’m going to keep it in mind and look into it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh I forgot to mention, my car has 80,000 km (50,000 miles).

·
Super Moderator
1,819 Posts
Oh I forgot to mention, my car has 80,000 km (50,000 miles).
Regardless of the mileage and being out of the basic warranty, I would still call Chrysler customer service and register a complaint.
The dealer, in my opinion, claimed what repair was needed and charged you for that repair. It was not the problem, yet I would wager your repair order does not say other conditions or problems may exist that could require additional charges.
Call the dealer principal too. Tell them your not happy with the incorrect diagnosis and repair cost that didn't fix your car.
Besides the fact ( it seems ) your paying for a rental vehicle.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Regardless of the mileage and being out of the basic warranty, I would still call Chrysler customer service and register a complaint.
The dealer, in my opinion, claimed what repair was needed and charged you for that repair. It was not the problem, yet I would wager your repair order does not say other conditions or problems may exist that could require additional charges.
Call the dealer principal too. Tell them your not happy with the incorrect diagnosis and repair cost that didn't fix your car.
Besides the fact ( it seems ) your paying for a rental vehicle.
Yeah I am definitely going to put in a complaint on this. But for now I am trying to be calm because my car is still there today and still don't know what the problem is and what the outcome is. If by the end of today I still don't get an answer then I am going to start to raise ****. This is downside of buying a used car. You don't know what it's really been through before you got it. When I bought it last October it had 43,000 KM on it. And yeah I am paying for a rental at a discounted price ($35 per day) for a Vehicle which isn't very pleasant to drive.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: so I just heard back from the dealer and they said it is the fuel injection module which needs to be replaced. And apparently it's not covered by the powertrain warranty. So another $600 plus out the door for a car with only 80,000 KM.

·
Super Moderator
1,819 Posts
Update: so I just heard back from the dealer and they said it is the fuel injection module which needs to be replaced. And apparently it's not covered by the powertrain warranty. So another $600 plus out the door for a car with only 80,000 KM.
Powertrain warranty covers the internally oiled parts of engine, transmission/transaxle and rear diff or transfer case.
All manufacturers warranties are very similar. Modules, sensors and electronic items aren't covered past the basic warranty's expiration.
The dealer should still step up and help with those repairs since they preformed a repair and mis-diagnosed the issue on the first try, all while charging you an exorbitant amount to "tune-up" the vehicle.
Good luck.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I got my car back this morning. Long story short, they did reduce the cost by quite a bit and claimed that the original diagnostic of changing spark plugs was correct and that the car needed new spark plugs and a new fuel injection module. At this point I have no way to verify if that is true or not, and just want this to be over with now so I can get on with my regular life. The dealer was only about 10 mins from my work so it's too soon to tell if the problem is completely fixed. I will have a better idea today when I leave work during my 1 hr drive home.

·
Super Moderator
2,437 Posts
Well I got my car back this morning. Long story short, they did reduce the cost by quite a bit and claimed that the original diagnostic of changing spark plugs was correct and that the car needed new spark plugs and a new fuel injection module. At this point I have no way to verify if that is true or not, and just want this to be over with now so I can get on with my regular life. The dealer was only about 10 mins from my work so it's too soon to tell if the problem is completely fixed. I will have a better idea today when I leave work during my 1 hr drive home.
Horse poop (what the Broncos do on the field lately) regarding the plugs. They replaced them, they were wrong, and the original plugs were probably fine. I would have asked to see the original plugs. :mad: Not even my car and that bugs me.

I hope it was by nearly 100% cost reduction - what car needs new plugs that early on?

I hope it's finally fixed for you.

Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Horse poop (what the Broncos do on the field lately) regarding the plugs. They replaced them, they were wrong, and the original plugs were probably fine. I would have asked to see the original plugs. :mad: Not even my car and that bugs me.

I hope it was by nearly 100% cost reduction - what car needs new plugs that early on?

I hope it's finally fixed for you.

Thanks for the update.
I agree, I don't think there was anything wrong with the spark plugs either. I am just swallowing this one and hoping that nothing else goes wrong.

·
Registered
254 Posts
So changing 6 spark plugs @ $20 each for a total of $120 plus labor took me to over $700. They claimed that it was 3.5 hrs labor to change the spark plugs. I argued with the manager and long story short they reduced the price to $550 plus tax.
Omfg. That price is crazy. Anyone near me in MI please do NOT do anything like that. I'd charge $50 to do it if you have the plugs. That price is insane. More or less I'd charge $5 for a gallon of milk while they are asking ~$430.:confused: I'd recommend people to try going elsewhere, or get the diagnosis, then go elsewhere. Disgusting IMO. That's like Ferrari spark plugs changing cost.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I am having the same issue what was the result of your issue? I got the car used and have only had it for 6 months and warranty wont cover it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 200 that has 68,000 miles. Check engine light came on. Showing Code P0301 - Cylinder 1 misfire. It is at the dealership right now. They say there is a problem with a lifter on the right side of the engine and both cam shafts. Has anyone else had this problem? They are checking to see if it is covered under my extended warranty. I have had the car for 5 years and bought it used from a dealership. $4200 if it is not under warranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My engine light came on. I have a 2015 200c V6, code read 305, cylinder 5 misfire, but when I brought it to Chrysler, they said it was the battery. I already have the 5th cylinder replaced, so I don’t understand why it’s still giving me that code along with battery issues. The battery light hasn’t come on, and the screen says that the battery is currently at 14v, but sometimes drops to 13.5 when driving or stopped.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 200 that has 68,000 miles. Check engine light came on. Showing Code P0301 - Cylinder 1 misfire. It is at the dealership right now. They say there is a problem with a lifter on the right side of the engine and both cam shafts. Has anyone else had this problem? They are checking to see if it is covered under my extended warranty. I have had the car for 5 years and bought it used from a dealership. $4200 if it is not under warranty.
Was if fixed?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts