Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently upgraded from Uconnect 3 to 5, and the dealer is telling me they can't flash the car because the used stereo I bought has a VIN number in it?

The radio works fine, but they can't program it to the car, so the odometer flashes and the mirror does not work.

I have not seen anyone else upgrading from 5.0 to 8.4, with used units, have this issue....

Is my dealer just stupid?

·
Registered
254 Posts
View attachment 50633

**** Canucks....tell them you know a guy with an Android phone and a $10 Bluetooth obd adapter that can do it
Just kidding about the Canuck thing. Anyway, I was wrong. You need the good $70 (USD) Bluetooth obd adapter, or the connecter that has different color adapters for different can devices. The app is $50. Or you can get it for a Windows PC.
Screenshot_20180104-165032.jpg

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, but how does that help? The dealer is telling me that the used radio I bought has the previous VIN number in it and so can't be added to my car, yet dozens of people have put used radios in their cars without any issue?

I thought it was as simple as adding the new option codes to the car list, nothing to do with the radio itself?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I haven't "done" it, but it looks like you can write a new VIN to the radio. So you could write your VIN to it. But then you need to do a........"proxy alignment" which from what I understand is a CAN communication network re-learn. So since you installed a new radio, which uses can communication to the other devices, it need to be re-learned to the network. There's a thread in the Dodge dart forums about doing all this....can't remember where but if you search Dodge Dart AlfaOBD I think you"ll find it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right, but why can't the dealer do this? They told me they can't change the VIN in the radio, I would have to buy a 'new' radio.

I have no idea why the radio would need to know the car's VIN. I can see how the car might need to know the s/n of the radio.

The radio is communicating with everything it is supposed to, except maybe the rear view mirror. The mirror has a red light on.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I don't know specifics. But if the VIN isn't cleared or blank when they get it, it falls under the stolen or improperly purchased category. Where did you get it from? It may be possible trying to go in with emails, screen shots of say the eBay post, receipt shown you bought it? Or....try finding a radio shop. Some places can do it. If you look on some eBay posts, it will say the VIN is clear or unlocked to plug n play. Hope you kinda understand.

·
Registered
254 Posts
https://www.justanswer.com/dodge/8z7xe-need-radio-s-anti-theft-vin-lock-code-just-bought.html

Read this.

Then this.

PROCEDURE TO OBTAIN ANTI-THEFT CODE:
1. Call 1-800-448-0944
2. Request anti-theft code.
3. State dealer code.
4. State radio serial number.
5. State VIN
6. The 4-digit anti-theft code will be provided.
NOTE: Radio anti-theft code call center support is available from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm
Eastern Time Monday through Friday.
RADIO ANTI-THEFT CODE PROCEDURE
1. Ignition in the run position.
2. Press the ON/VOL control.
3. The word
CODE
or
Please enter Anti-Theft Code
will appear on the display.
4. Enter the 4-digit code by pressing the corresponding preset buttons in sequence.
NOTE: If three successive attempts are made to enter an invalid anti-theft code the
radio will enter a ‘WAIT’ state. While in this state the radio display will read
‘WAIT’. To exit the ‘WAIT’ state the radio must remain powered with the
ignition in the run position for a continuous 30 minutes (the vehicle may be
driven during this time). After exiting the ‘WAIT’ state the radio will again
display ‘CODE’ and a valid anti-theft code may be entered.
Policy:
Information only.
08-051-11 -2-

They can likely do it if you can prove you purchased it and it wasn't stolen. I'd show them this. Or take it to another dealer. And have them send me the hourly pay in USD please. 1hr rounded up.

·
Registered
59 Posts
yes you can. all they have to do is the proxi align. did it to mine. im a tech at a dealer. they have to add the 8.4 to the build of the vehicle. then download config then proxi align. find a new dealer if they cant figure it out

·
Registered
254 Posts
yes you can. all they have to do is the proxi align. did it to mine. im a tech at a dealer. they have to add the 8.4 to the build of the vehicle. then download config then proxi align. find a new dealer if they cant figure it out
I think there's another step other then the proxy alignment since the radio he bought?installed still had the previous vin loaded in it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The problem is not the anti theft code. I got that, and the radio works fine.

The dealer is telling me they can't flash the car to accept the new radio, I think what you are calling the 'proxy align.

The radio can't have the previous VIN or it would not accept the antilock code based on the new VIN?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Only other thing I can think is they didn't do a car configuration change or didn't do that right before the proxy alignment? At this point I'm lost. Good luck. If you get it figured out, report back.
Screenshot_20180106-100841.jpg Screenshot_20180106-100807.jpg

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They said they can't add the radio to the car because it has a previous VIN, in the radio.

This makes no sense, since I have updated the anti-theft code to the VIN of my car.

I suspect they just don't know what they are doing when it comes to adding options.

·
Registered
59 Posts
i did the swap in mine. got a radio from another car. the proxi align writes the vin in the radio or any other modules in the vehicle. they need to add to the vehicle build. have to add the 8.4 radio or it will continue to flash. all this literally takes 30 min to do.

·
Registered
344 Posts
They said they can't add the radio to the car because it has a previous VIN, in the radio.

This makes no sense, since I have updated the anti-theft code to the VIN of my car.

I suspect they just don't know what they are doing when it comes to adding options.
"Sales code" what's used to unlock new cars.
Dose not only apply to radio but allows the vehicle to operate normally. (Or as intended)

Be sure that the mechanics can see the previous VIN to the vehicle. Do you have previous cars VIN number?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just curious, because they keep saying they can't add this to my car because of the origin VIN being stored in it. If there is a storage device it could be erased...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts