Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in a 2015 200C. V6 FWD. 16000 miles.

I have never paid attention to depreciation very much as I like to keep cars for 8-10 years. But this car has me worried.

For those who track this sort of thing, will the depreciation start to slow down? Is there any way to predict that?

My original plan was to upgrade to the lifetime warranty and give this car to my 8 year old daughter in 10 years. A reliable car to take to college and still be covered for repairs. But now I'm wondering if the buyout price (of the mopar maxcare) will come up quicker than I want.

For example, in 7 years, when the transmission dies from repeated hard 2-3 and 4-5 shifts (which we are forced to accept as "normal") and the car has depreciated to $1500, I'll get a check from FCA and be sent on my way only to have to have the transmission fixed on my own and wait for the next major repair. In essence, my fear is that the rapid depreciation will make the lifetime warranty much less valuable.

Since I am looking at my current car as being a car to give to my kids in 10 years, I'm beginning to wonder if its better to get out of it now and try again with something else?

If anyone who follows these trends could shed some light on what we might be looking at I'd appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
1,788 Posts
Looking into the future and attempting to guess values of any product or commodity is just that ... a guess. Car values may continue to climb as new vehicles prices climb, thereby increasing the value of older, used vehicles.
Either way, guessing if a vehicle will hold or lose value ( more or less ) is anybody's guess.
Drive the car, enjoy it for it's intended purpose and don't worry about what the car will be worth in 7 years.
Selling your car now will surely mean a monetary loss as depreciation slows the older a car gets. Either way, you lose.

·
Super Moderator
2,421 Posts
Almost 100% of new cars are a terrible investment, that stated, the sting isn't bad if you really plan to keep it 8 - 10 years. As fltru103 said, no matter what you lose.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I understand that any new car is a bad investment. I guess I should try to clarify.

My concern is the reliability. I have owned Chryslers all my life. I've been loyal, as my dad worked at the local plant for 34 years. I only drive 8k miles per year. I've grown accustomed to failing half shafts and wheel bearings before 70k miles and transmissions that barely last 10 years and less than 100k miles.(Every Chrysler I've ever owned)

With upgrading to a maxcare lifetime, this was supposed to be the car that I could keep longer than any other Chrysler I've owned without being nickel and dimed to death. But with the higher than average depreciation, I'm concerned this won't be possible.

Does anyone know the cost of replacing the suspect 9 speed transmission?
Whatever it is, it seems this car's value is approaching that amount at a faster rate than most. So FCA will buy their way out of the warranty and instead of having a car that's paid off and still covered, I'll be out of warranty and footing the bill for half shafts and transmissions like every other Chrysler I've owned.

For me, Lifetime max care was supposed to make this car different. I'm worried that the rapid depreciation is threatening to negate that.

I'm not concerned about how much I could sell/trade the car for in 8-10 years. I'm concerned that sending my daughter off to college in 10 years with a car still covered under warranty is quickly becoming less probable.

·
Super Moderator
2,421 Posts
I understand that any new car is a bad investment. I guess I should try to clarify.

My concern is the reliability. I have owned Chryslers all my life. I've been loyal, as my dad worked at the local plant for 34 years. I only drive 8k miles per year. I've grown accustomed to failing half shafts and wheel bearings before 70k miles and transmissions that barely last 10 years and less than 100k miles.
My intent isn't to be rude, I genuinely mean that. Did you just answer your own question about reliability with your own perception/experiences? Don't you have any kind of rapport or connections with Chrysler since your dad worked there for 34 years? Can you elaborate on how they can buy their way out of an extended warranty/service contract? Is there a clause that if the car isn't worth a part that needs replaced they just give you the value of the car?

All I have done is buy 3 new Chryslers from the same dealer and it seems I am taken care of pretty well, without going into detail I have been taken care of with things beyond what is covered in the warranty...

·
Super Moderator
1,788 Posts
The lifetime max care warranty does have a stipulation that if the value of the repair exceeds the value of the car, by NADA used car pricing, the final payment will be the all they pay after which the plan is terminated.

However, asking "if" that would happen 8 to 10 years down the road, is plain and simple a gamble and a guess.

Also, asking what the price of a reconditioned, or rebuilt 9 speed transmission will be is an impossibility. Usually the prices drop as the inventory increases, and those transmissions will be in millions of car ( and mini-vans ) by then.

As for reliability, who knows. What I do know is on the "Allpar" web site is a section for MoPar's with over 200,000 miles. Many with 400K and over, including a 2015 200, with a 2.4 engine, that already has over 200K !

Treat your vehicle right, maintain it according to factory recommendations and I feel it will be a dependable car.
But it also sounds like your mind is already made up.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you really think there will be millions of these transmissions available? With the bad press and bad reception of the 9 speeds (in several manufacturers) I wonder if that idea will be scrapped. I'm not trying to come off as argumentative, and I certainly haven't kept up with all of the auto news, but I wonder if 5 years from now we are going to look back and say "remember that 9 speed trans everyone tried....what a dumb idea". Again, trying to predict the future...but it hasn't had the smoothest of starts. (No pun intended)

My mind is definitely not made up. I'm learning a lot of perspectives as I read this stuff. Plus....I'm married....so spousal approval is the last step in any decision. That's a harder sell than trying to get NADA value on a dealer trade in.

To the earlier question about rapport/connections because my dad worked for Chrysler for 34 years...nope. None to speak of. My area had both a Chrysler and GM plant until about 10 years ago. Just about everyone had a close family member who worked on the line. 6 degrees of separation. I'm a dime a dozen around here. Some dealers I've dealt with have been awful. They dont have to worry about pleasing the customer because they have a ready made client base coming in for EP prices so they can move cars. Bad business practice but it happens. Hopefully the one I'm with now is better And we can eventually get the transmission to stop throwing me around when it decides its ready to slam into 5th gear.

·
Super Moderator
1,788 Posts
Do you really think there will be millions of these transmissions available? With the bad press and bad reception of the 9 speeds (in several manufacturers) I wonder if that idea will be scrapped. I'm not trying to come off as argumentative, and I certainly haven't kept up with all of the auto news, but I wonder if 5 years from now we are going to look back and say "remember that 9 speed trans everyone tried....what a dumb idea". Again, trying to predict the future...but it hasn't had the smoothest of starts. (No pun intended)
I said they will be in millions of vehicles, not that there will be millions available. However, they soon will be in over a million vehicles. Total production run for all the 200's, with the 9 speed transmission is around 271,000 units. Combine that with the new Chrysler Pacifica with the 9 speed, and in 4 to 6 years time, they will be in millions of vehicles. Let's not forget other manufacturers use the same basic ZF 9 speed. The trend is for multiple speed transmissions for fuel economy. 10 speeds will be next.
My mind is definitely not made up. I'm learning a lot of perspectives as I read this stuff. Plus....I'm married....so spousal approval is the last step in any decision. That's a harder sell than trying to get NADA value on a dealer trade in.
That I understand. However, I make the automotive decisions in my house and allow the wife to pick what she knows best.
To the earlier question about rapport/connections because my dad worked for Chrysler for 34 years...nope. None to speak of. My area had both a Chrysler and GM plant until about 10 years ago. Just about everyone had a close family member who worked on the line. 6 degrees of separation. I'm a dime a dozen around here. Some dealers I've dealt with have been awful. They dont have to worry about pleasing the customer because they have a ready made client base coming in for EP prices so they can move cars. Bad business practice but it happens. Hopefully the one I'm with now is better And we can eventually get the transmission to stop throwing me around when it decides its ready to slam into 5th gear.
Some dealers are still awful. Try another dealer and explain to them how you feel the transmission shifts too hard, etc. Maybe they will have a better understanding of your issues, or can check to make sure all relevant updates and been performed.
Good luck.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Check your car in THIS site llcamino to see if there are any outstanding fixes available. Just insert your full VIN number.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just looked up 10 year old Chrysler Sebrings, and they are selling between $5,000 and $8,000 at retail here in Canada. I guess our cars will be around the same after 10 years. I have a 2013 limited V6. I like the car and will keep it as long as it doesn't rust. I get it rust proofed every year, so hopefully that will be a long time. I think warranties are a bit of a scam. I recently thought I had a front wheel bearing failure. That is not covered under the 5 year power train warranty. Turns out the tire was scalloped. There always seem to be a reason that any particular failure is not covered. Remember that $5,000 for a transmission rebuild is only one years payment on a new car. Have a great day!

·
Super Moderator
1,788 Posts
I think warranties are a bit of a scam. I recently thought I had a front wheel bearing failure. That is not covered under the 5 year power train warranty. Turns out the tire was scalloped. There always seem to be a reason that any particular failure is not covered.
I felt I should remind people to read the warranty booklet and familiarize yourself with what is covered. The power train warranty specifies exactly what is covered, which is basically everything internally within the engine, transmission and differential assembly and their respective cases, housings or engine block.
A front wheel bearing has literally no connection with anything power related.
The reason some items are not covered is because it's not part of the group specially listed on the "parts covered" section in the warranty booklet.

Read your warranty booklet.

·
Super Moderator
1,788 Posts
I've been guilty of not doing that, thinking that I knew what was covered and what wasn't.
Yea, I think we are all guilty of that !
Some dealer personnel don't even know what's covered within the sub sections of the warranty either.
Plus they change from year to year.
Confusing at the very least.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Unfortunately, depreciation hasn't ever been a friend of many Chrysler owners. Which is why I buy them - used. After someone buys and takes the depreciation hit, I get to swoop in a year later and get a pretty nice car at half the price the original owner paid. I've had pretty good luck with this method. I have two other Chrysler products, a Stratus with over 200k miles and an '11 Avenger about to cross 100k. Neither of which have required anything outside of basic maintenance. I've discovered that anything outside of the factory warranty is almost complete crap (even if it is factory backed), so you might have bit the bullet taking out a "lifetime" warranty.

That being said - I had that same "normal" 4-5th shifting issue. I took my car to the dealership 5 times, each time they denied the problem. Finally, I'd had enough. I contacted Chrysler customer care via e-mail. They opened a case and scheduled me an appointment with a new dealership in my area. The dealership I took it to replaced the valve body in the transmission and I haven't had the problem since. I don't like to complain, but sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease. They even gave me a 5 year service contract for oil changes because of the issue. I don't plan to use it, but a nice gesture for my loyalty to the brand, none the less. Good luck!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I try to get a warranty that covers everything except specific exclusions. It is much easier to understand and comprehend -

·
Super Moderator
1,788 Posts
I've discovered that anything outside of the factory warranty is almost complete crap (even if it is factory backed), so you might have bit the bullet taking out a "lifetime" warranty.
Any "Service Contract" or extended warranty is a gamble.
Your simply taking a gamble that your vehicle will have a covered repair in exchange for money up front.
As for biting the bullet on a lifetime contract, that is open to debate.
As these new vehicles become more electronically sophisticated, with complicated engines and transmissions, all that require a dealer to service and repair, it may be prudent to consider a contract.
A simple radio replacement could cost in excess of $1000, or more. Not to mention the body, engine and transmission controllers ( computers ) that control every aspect of the car. The list is endless.
I'll gamble now so that if I have a problem later, I won't need to worry as much.

Maybe people should look at what the "Lifetime Max Care" service contract covers. You might be surprised.
http://www.chryslerwarrantys.com/maximum_care.cfm

As a disclaimer, I have no connection, or stand to gain anything by this post.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I'm at 63K miles and the only thing I changed is tires, oil and filters (oil,air, cabin)

The only thing broke is the stupid visor mounted garage door opener. What a dumb place to put it.

I will probably pass it down when the time comes but wouldn't waste my money on an warranty. Selling or trading is not an option as its not worth much now, can't imagine in 7 years its value ;)

My magical Olds is still kicking at 140K and kid #1 drives in when home from college.

·
Super Moderator
2,421 Posts
I'm at 63K miles and the only thing I changed is tires, oil and filters (oil,air, cabin)

The only thing broke is the stupid visor mounted garage door opener. What a dumb place to put it.

I will probably pass it down when the time comes but wouldn't waste my money on an warranty. Selling or trading is not an option as its not worth much now, can't imagine in 7 years its value ;)

My magical Olds is still kicking at 140K and kid #1 drives in when home from college.
At least you have a garage door opener built in. I don't think the "S" has it available. Mine doesn't at least, and it's slightly above middle of the road equipped with remote start and heated seats etc...

I am sure the Olds will still run another 100K miles at minimum, they are like cockroaches, you can't kill them, but then... do you want them?

(My first car was an Olds and I have had several Olds and GM cars, so I so like them, but I had to say it!)

·
Registered
868 Posts
At least you have a garage door opener built in. I don't think the "S" has it available. Mine doesn't at least, and it's slightly above middle of the road equipped with remote start and heated seats etc...

I am sure the Olds will still run another 100K miles at minimum, they are like cockroaches, you can't kill them, but then... do you want them?

(My first car was an Olds and I have had several Olds and GM cars, so I so like them, but I had to say it!)
The last time I drove the Olds was a few weeks ago for a test drive after changing front pads and rotors. The last time before that was to get it inspected. If the kids not home, it just sits. ;)

Maybe I will drive it one day next week and check for any issues kid didn't tell me about. Right now I have my Polaris Ranger in the garage spot the Olds gets and haven't decided who gets it this winter yet :cool:

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've very, very carefully done the numbers on Lifetime Max Care. And as I've said many times in the past, the V6 people have nothing to worry about.

If you own a 200S or 200C V6, you're fine for the first decade.

For the car to be "totaled out" under the Mopar Lifetime Max Care for either engine or transmission failures, your car would have to be at least valued below $4,500.

The OP was concerned about the car being worth "$1,500" in 7-10 years. That's basically impossible. There is no way a Chrysler 200, in Blue Book Good condition, would be worth that little amount. It has nearly 300 horsepower, and it has safety ratings that exceed the 2015 BMW 3-series. Go check IIHS Small Offset (the most brutal test in the industry), see for yourself.

Now, it could get pretty bleak. It could get down to $5,000 a decade from now for a car under 100,000 miles - even an S or a C with a V6.

So what? You have maneuverability, even with a lifetime. For example, you can - at your discretion - split the bill. Have the dealer send the parts bill to Mopar and a $0 reimbursement for labor. Then if the car blue books out at $3,800... and your trans fails, you'll pay $800 (in labor) for a new trans, and Mopar will pick up the $3,500 for a new ZF 9 Speed. The car then wouldn't be totaled out (albeit by a mere $300), and your lifetime policy will live on.

Just don't ever let the dealer submit a claim that gets within 10% of blue book. Know your blue book values, and dig in if Mopar cries foul.

Do be aware of this stuff, but don't panic. If you have a 200, get the lifetime Max Care, and go from there. These cars are going to be lead balloons in deprecation. So grab another one and arbitrage.

Hopefully FCA will get bought by a big tech company, or another big auto maker, and these lifetime policies will be grandfathered and securitized for the next 30 years.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts