Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of this type of "DIY - Aiming The Headlights" (Do It Yourself) I see enough cars (and trucks) on the road with "mis-aimed" or "mis-aligned" headlights that are "blinding" to oncoming traffic at night! Maybe they're just out of alignment, or maybe it was a "do it yourselfer" who didn't do it right! Was your vehicle sitting on level ground? Were the "markings" for aiming placed correctly? Was the vehicle the correct distance back from the wall? For the few dollars involved I'd rather have it done correctly by a dealer, or Garage, than trying to "do it myself"! Is it worth the "ticket" if stopped for mis-aimed headlights? I don't think so. Sorry, just my .02 cents!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of this type of "DIY - Aiming The Headlights" (Do It Yourself) I see enough cars (and trucks) on the road with "mis-aimed" or "mis-aligned" headlights that are "blinding" to oncoming traffic at night! Maybe they're just out of alignment, or maybe it was a "do it yourselfer" who didn't do it right! Was your vehicle sitting on level ground? Were the "markings" for aiming placed correctly? Was the vehicle the correct distance back from the wall? For the few dollars involved I'd rather have it done correctly by a dealer, or Garage, than trying to "do it myself"! Is it worth the "ticket" if stopped for mis-aimed headlights? I don't think so. Sorry, just my .02 cents!
On the other hand I just got my car back from a shop and had my headlight replaced because someone back into me. I was following the wife home from the shop and it was dark out, she called me and said one of headlights looked really funny. Come to find out when I get home that 10 feet away from my garage door with the low beams on my right headlight (the one that was replaced) was 3 inches lower than the left headlight. This is a simple thing that most people won't have to do, but I would have never thought of being able to do it without this post. The more we know about our cars, the better.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just aimed mine a bit higher because I have trouble seeing at night, even after adjustment by dealer.
Thanks for the pictures. I couldn't figure it out without them.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I looked at my car a couple days ago, wasn't sure if those were what I thought they were, so thanks for the confirmation! Don't have the right driver on me right now, but can probably adjust them here in the hotel lot;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello, i installed an HID KIT for my car, and need to aim the headlights, what should i look for to aim them correct? What would be a measuring tool to see how i should aim them

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks! I just got off the phone with the dealership where we bought our 2013 200s, and the service manager gave me the impression that they might not be able to adjust them! I've been around cars all my life, and have never seen a vehicle that had non adjustable headlights!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wasn't able to adjust them using the above method, but there on my 2013, there is a bolt head right by where the screwdriver head would go. I had a time getting to it especially on the driver's side due to a big bundle of wires, but was able to adjust them this way by trial and error on the direction I turned the bolt. Thanks for getting me in the right area for adjusting them. Now, if I could only find how to adjust the fog lights!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had to aim my lights up as well. Called the dealership and they wanted $50 to do it "correctly". I bought a longer screwdriver and aimed them myself. All I did was 2 full turns up on each side, and it's perfect. I think these are some of the best headlights I've ever seen stock on a car, once they're aimed correctly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Was just under my 200 the other day and did an adjustment on my fog lights. There are 2-4 holes (approx. 1") under the front lower valance, right below the fog lights. You need a 6" Torx head screwdriver (#15 I think). If you can get the front end up a little (could use bumper jack and a jackstand - please use a stand or something to prevent car coming back down on you) and a flash light, you can look up behind the fog lights to see the adjuster screw. I used the manufacturer markings on the screwdriver as a reference and turned both screws one turn clockwise to raise the light pattern. I will test over next few nights away from traffic to see if they are aiming where I want them. Remember, they are fog lights not driving lights, have a wide not narrow pattern. Cheers!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had to aim my lights up as well. Called the dealership and they wanted $50 to do it "correctly". I bought a longer screwdriver and aimed them myself. All I did was 2 full turns up on each side, and it's perfect. I think these are some of the best headlights I've ever seen stock on a car, once they're aimed correctly.
Can you show me the size of the screwdriver you bought? Flat head or Philips?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
18 Posts
@chris41: I looked at my headlights, and the adjustment screw in it had markings from the factory aim. (I'd tried aiming with a wall and ruler, but I couldn't get somewhere level enough.) I aligned the paint lines (Looks like it is from when the car was assembled) and then turned my screwdriver 2 full turns to raise each side. I was worried that they were a little high, but they're perfect. Low enough as to not get in a driver's eyes, but high enough that they shine really far.

@DouglasR1: I used this screwdriver: http://www.lowes.com/pd_318314-930-324G84PC_0__?productId=3353344

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you! Seems I'm in need of whole new sets of screw drivers, all mine seem to have disappeared?

Can't wait till I aim these headlights. Really sucks driving at night with how they are aimed right now.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone out there know if there is an adjustment for "side to side" on the headlights for a 200 Convertible?
Up and down, no problem, but it seems both headlights are aiming into oncoming traffic, or to the left farther than they should be.
Doesn't seem o be pissing off oncoming cars, but it sure doesn't look right.
Any help would be appreciated.
Breezy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
As far as I've seen, it's only up/down aim. They do have a really wide path, but I haven't had a single car flash me since I got the car in July. I live and drive in the city mostly, so there's plenty of people around.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts