Chrysler 200 Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Don't forget when you add rear passengers or extra weight in the trunk your lights will be aimed higher yet

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of this type of "DIY - Aiming The Headlights" (Do It Yourself) I see enough cars (and trucks) on the road with "mis-aimed" or "mis-aligned" headlights that are "blinding" to oncoming traffic at night! Maybe they're just out of alignment, or maybe it was a "do it yourselfer" who didn't do it right! Was your vehicle sitting on level ground? Were the "markings" for aiming placed correctly? Was the vehicle the correct distance back from the wall? For the few dollars involved I'd rather have it done correctly by a dealer, or Garage, than trying to "do it myself"! Is it worth the "ticket" if stopped for mis-aimed headlights? I don't think so. Sorry, just my .02 cents!
100% Agreed.

Re-aiming headlights is a common DIY thing that's often done improperly. The easiest way for someone that insists on doing it themselves is have a friend drive your car, and you drive in front of them and see how your headlights look while driving around the block, then lower/raise a smidgen, and repeat until you're satisfied. Anything else and you're really just guessing and if you don't check you could be causing more of a hazard than you're removing.

On the other hand I just got my car back from a shop and had my headlight replaced because someone back into me. I was following the wife home from the shop and it was dark out, she called me and said one of headlights looked really funny. Come to find out when I get home that 10 feet away from my garage door with the low beams on my right headlight (the one that was replaced) was 3 inches lower than the left headlight. This is a simple thing that most people won't have to do, but I would have never thought of being able to do it without this post. The more we know about our cars, the better.
Your headlights should NOT be even. Your headlights however sound like they were aligned backwards. In the United States, almost all manufacturers have the left headlight pointed lower than the right, and this is by design, because we are left hand drive. In England, it's reversed.

So, your right headlight may be correct, and your left may be 6" too high, or your left may be correct and your right headlight may be 6" too low. In either case, that's a large range of motion, and without a proper headlight alignment, you could be making unintentional changes that are hurting your fellow driver.

My 0.02, bring it back, tell them to align it properly. Shouldn't cost you anything, because they should have done it in the first place.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
No, headlights (projectors) should always be perfectly aligned with one another. The effect of the left side appearing to be lower is due to the cutoff shield.

This is an ideal aim.

·
Registered
31 Posts
What is the exact procedure to aim them.

I know I have to be 25 feet away from the wall on a flat even surface. What is the optimum height?

·
Registered
791 Posts
21 - 28 of 28 Posts