Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012, I have 2 keys , 1 key has buttons for unlock ,lock, panic, trunk the other key does not have the buttons, both keys start the car , I would like to make another key myself for backup I have done this before on a ford pickup but not a chrysler. Anyone done this?

·
Registered
71 Posts
You could have a key cut that would physically match the lock but it wouldn't be able to start the car unless it was the proper transponder key and was programmed to the vehicle (probably has to be done by the dealer but you might be able to do it yourself, I'm not sure what the procedure is).

·
Registered
163 Posts
I bought 2 grey top keys from a dealer back in 2012 for my 2011.

I programmed them as per the owners manual but they're not perfect.

With the grey key:

If I lock the door then unlock with the grey key no problem.

If I lock the door with the power door lock button the alarm honks when unlocking.

As soon as I start the Engine with the grey top key the alarm turns off.

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
272 Posts
My wife bought her 2012 new and has two identical keys with all of those button features on both.
I bought my 2011 used, and the dealer gave me two identical keys, with those features on both, plus remote start on both. All of them work identically to the other in each pair.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I bought 2 grey top keys from a dealer back in 2012 for my 2011.

I programmed them as per the owners manual but they're not perfect.

With the grey key:

If I lock the door then unlock with the grey key no problem.

If I lock the door with the power door lock button the alarm honks when unlocking.

As soon as I start the Engine with the grey top key the alarm turns off.

Thanks
Randy
Hi Randy,

We are sorry to hear of your concerns! If you are unable to receive more feedback from here, please feel free to contact Customer Care in your region at 800-465-2001.

Alex
Chrysler Cares

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi Alex:

I appreciate your reply and I guess my post was confusing to read!!

I'm not complaining at all, the car originally came with 2 proper keys that work fine.

Just sharing my satisfactory experience with the inexpensive grey top keys

The grey top keys weren't expected to function like the originals with the buttons.

They are just emergency backups and are fine for that purpose.

I was able to program them to start the Engine as per the owners manual instructions.

I didn't expect them to activate the power door locks as they don't have any buttons!!

The horn honks for a second after opening the locked door but stops once the key is in the ignition.

Then the car operates normally just like a proper Chrysler 200

Sorry for any confusion!!

Thanks
Randy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts