Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on my commute this morning, I was in a hurry. Roads are 99% dry from a recent snowstorm. I am behind one person on a 2 lane highway. After this person established what speed they were going to maintain, I decided I wanted to go faster than that, so I safely and quickly passed. I wasn't tailgating or anything like that before - he was going a reasonable speed but I wanted to go faster. Then as I slow down from the pass, I hit the cruise 15 MPH faster than when i was behind the guy, admittedly over the speed limit. I look in my rearview and the guy is tailgating - really close. It's a young person in a Scion TC with a fart pipe.

I could have retaliated and either slammed on the gas and left him in the dust, or done the other aggressive and very illegal and dangerous road rage thing and slam on the brakes etc... like quite a few people do around here. Instead, I noticed that his car was just washed. My car is filthy from the recent snow storm here. So... I gave him a few more seconds to either pass or stop tailgating. He didn't. So I turned on my windshield washer and left it in for longer than normal. The instant I hit the washer and the spray traveled over the top of my vehicle he backed off... WAY off, back down to the speed he was going before. :D I don't feel bad at all. I don't understand why people get so uptight then they are passed.

I've got it all on camera too. :cool:

·
Registered
329 Posts
I don't get mad when people pass me, but have to shake my head and usually mumble something not forum-friendly after getting pased by people mad at me for doing the speed limit. In most cases, I'll do about 2-3 over. I don't try to do much more than that though. I got in a lot of trouble in my younger days, so I basically drive like a saint now. But, when people pass me (usually, dangerously) because I'm being responsible and following the law, I ust have to shake my head. There is nowhere in my town that takes more than 15-20 minutes if you plan a good route, so I don't feel the need to be in such a hurry. And I will not give in and speed up, because someone else is in one. Not my problem. Matter of fact, I'll drop that extra 2-3mph and pin it on the limit if they tailgate me just to be that guy.

It's especially funny when I see people's mad faces at me when I don't rocket from a light either. I'm not compelled to race from light to light, especially when they're timed. I don't like coming to a complte stop if don't have to. However, sometimes I will kinda gun it to get up to speed, when I know there isn't another light coming. But, once I get there, I'm not keeping that pace and jump into my normal habit. Boohoo if they get mad. Again... not my problem.

·
Super Moderator
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't typically give in and speed up either when I am tailgated. Especially not since I put in the dash cam. It's very entertaining reviewing footage of people being idiots and getting all uptight. Since I have the camera, I am much calmer behind the wheel now. Maybe I will start posting the idiocy I observe on YouTube. I was actually thinking of upgrading my dash cam to a nicer one.

I am sure the guy was mad when I passed him, probably why he retaliated and started tailgating me, or maybe because of my loud intake he wanted to race me... It actually made me laugh turning on the washer fluid on and seeing him drop back. It's as if I had nitrous oxide and I hit the button, it was more satisfying than if I had actually stepped on it and left him in the dust. If he would have passed I wouldn't have cared, as long as he didn't start playing road rage games and then slow way down after passing me etc... People can be so childish behind the wheel, completely different than if they weren't in that steel cage.

if someone wants to go around me, I have no problems regardless of the speed at which I am traveling, in fact I will move over if I have the opportunity because not just my road and I don't have a sense of entitlement on it. It's not my business or place to try and make someone drive legally or drive like I drive or how I approve of etc... unless they appear to be drunk or a danger to others, but then it's a simple call to the PD and I can follow up since I have their plates recorded if they are behind me or in front of me.

I try to see other people on the road as they are, someones son, daughter, dad, mother, grandma, grandpa, wife, husband etc... I just try to make sure my family and I are safe while on the road.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Nope, although while out in my Cherokee the other night, I passed a second gen Exploder that was sitting at a light just as it changed and next thing I knew he was dogging my for a few miles........in snowy conditions no less?! Funny thing, I passed a few crossovers, a second, lifted, g2 Exploder, and an Evo on that same stretch of road.......

·
Registered
16 Posts
You should definitely upload a video of this idiocy! But i would say ive taken a different approach. I use to drive an I4 avenger, but man did i drive that thing like a V8. I got my first ticket at 18 going to see my girlfriend. the cop clocked me at 108 and wrote me up for 20 over (70 was the speed limit). And man oh man was that a hefty ticket, weighing in at a whopping $300. After that i could of gone one of two ways. either drive like a mature individual (Boring). or protect myself from the law, aka a radar detector. you can guess which way i went. and i have absolutely no regrets. that thing paid for itself within the first week from the tickets i woulda had if i didn't have it! But long story short, i dont get passed much. Its usually me doing the passing. And it is oddly satisfying to watch drivers reactions when i do. Mainly because of the tinted windows. Knowing they cant see me but i can see them makes it all the more enjoyable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Fun way to start the Holiday for me. So on my commute this morning I was in a hurry as well. Just like you I am behind one person on a 2 lane highway "driving 50 in a 55". I wanted to go faster, so I safely and quickly passed so that I would not be in the oncoming lane for very long. They started to speed up as I was passing but the only thing I'm focused on is an oncoming car in the distance. After passing I discover that the oncoming car is a State Trooper:( I was pulled for 83 in a 55. Now I'm finding out that they could potentially take my license.

I do not mind getting passed but that does not usually happen. Anyway now I have to start the process of finding an attorney and telling my wife. Happy Holidays

·
Registered
329 Posts
^ Understandable on the highway. Completely fair game in-town, as long as they're doing the speed limit.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I usually confront them and ask "what the **** are you mad for?"
Then chew them out with logic so they can see how stupid they are.

·
Super Moderator
1,881 Posts
We live in a society that really doesn't care what the other person thinks or feels.
A confrontation over road manners or law is almost useless and could be dangerous.
I don't allow myself to become engaged over rules or etiquette of the road.
Take the high line, or whatever way to avoid confrontations. It's the safest way.

In this country, nobody seems to understand keep right​ ... and educating someone on that point is a lesson in futility.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You can't just ignore people like that, because then they will keep being assholes to everyone else without any repercussion.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
We live in a society that really doesn't care what the other person thinks or feels.
A confrontation over road manners or law is almost useless and could be dangerous.
I don't allow myself to become engaged over rules or etiquette of the road.
Take the high line, or whatever way to avoid confrontations. It's the safest way.

In this country, nobody seems to understand keep right​ ... and educating someone on that point is a lesson in futility.
Anymore, I agree here, non point in getting all worked up over something so minor. Just back down, chill out,

·
Super Moderator
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anymore, I agree here, non point in getting all worked up over something so minor. Just back down, chill out,
Exactly!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes, it bothers me but I don't let it get to me. Some people just take it too far. You never know if the other person may have a weapon. I tend to just focus on getting to my destination safely.

·
Super Moderator
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You can't just ignore people like that, because then they will keep being assholes to everyone else without any repercussion.
It only makes matters worse unless you are the Police and can actually legally do something about it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I drive a modded Chrysler minivan for work all day (wide wheels, summer performance tires, shims and cam bolts for AutoX levels of negative camber, EBC stage 2 pads and slotted rotors, Addco swaybar, load levelers, etc).

I drive fast at times since I'm trying to get to customers in a very tight timetable (that's why the van is modded to handle). If I pass someone it usually confuses or scares them enough that they don't challenge me. If someone does want to chase me I don't mind if they try. We'll make a game of it.

If someone passes me I might A) not care because I'm in no hurry or B) tease them from a safe but annoy distance. Nothing offends pushy low performance drivers like a trail-braking minivan nailing an apex and filling up their mirrors mid corner. LOL

But get mad? Nah. I've become pretty numb to stupid on the road.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Now that I'm driving 55 miles one way to work daily, I have started really seeing some crazy driving in the DC region. I have witnessed far too many incredibly bad accidents in which sedans have their trunks pushed into the back seats of the cars this past year. I have seen far too many drivers purposely ride other cars tails cussing people out, honking and being just crazy while on cell phones or putting make up on (both guys and girls). Far too many people with high powered engines in a high traffic volume area racing around all of us whom are wondering if we will make it to our cubicles alive.

It would be really nice if most people would just chill out, leave earlier enough for work, stop thinking you have to teach other bad drivers a lesson and get on with your measly in the cubicle lives.

This includes you dude driving that measly little white Sentra, there was no call for honking at me and flipping me off while passing me! I had a semi in front of me and couldn't go faster, really! did it help your ego!

(I really need to get out of my cubicle job in DC) sigh...........

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't get mad when people pass me, but have to shake my head and usually mumble something not forum-friendly after getting pased by people mad at me for doing the speed limit. In most cases, I'll do about 2-3 over. I don't try to do much more than that though. I got in a lot of trouble in my younger days, so I basically drive like a saint now. But, when people pass me (usually, dangerously) because I'm being responsible and following the law, I ust have to shake my head. There is nowhere in my town that takes more than 15-20 minutes if you plan a good route, so I don't feel the need to be in such a hurry. And I will not give in and speed up, because someone else is in one. Not my problem. Matter of fact, I'll drop that extra 2-3mph and pin it on the limit if they tailgate me just to be that guy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts