Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All! I have some comments on my experience w drilled and slotted rotors.
So I purchased EBC "red stuff" ceramic pads and Powerstop drilled and slotted rotors and changed fluid too synthetic for a little upgrade and cool looks.
My wheels are a mess w tons of dust! 7000 mi (so much for little dust w ceramic)
My conclusion is the slots are too aggressive for street driving.There purpose is too keep the pads clean for a clean bite when on the brakes hard.
Im cleaning my wheels every week! Im thinking the slots are taking too much pad material off, which is going too shorten there life.
Looking fwd too your comments. Thanks!

Screenshot_2020-11-16-09-34-08.png

Reactions: fltru103

·
Super Moderator
2,000 Posts
I have replaced my rotors and pads with Wagner parts on our 200. Didn't need the extreme braking power that comes from slotted rotors.
I have enough to clean on my other car which has slotted rotors with Brembo's. Talk about dust !

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have replaced my rotors and pads with Wagner parts on our 200. Didn't need the extreme braking power that comes from slotted rotors.
I have enough to clean on my other car which has slotted rotors with Brembo's. Talk about dust !
Sounds like its because of the slots. Thanks!

·
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
637 Posts
I think that if drilled & slotted rotors had real benefits, we would see them on OEM performance brakes like SRT, etc.
We don't. My feeling is that they just aren't worth it.
I do like the ceramic pads for my daily driving. I buy the conventional white box, store brand rotors.

·
Super Moderator
2,000 Posts
I think that if drilled & slotted rotors had real benefits, we would see them on OEM performance brakes like SRT, etc.
We don't. My feeling is that they just aren't worth it.
I do like the ceramic pads for my daily driving. I buy the conventional white box, store brand rotors.
SRT brakes are slotted, just not drilled rotors.
Plenty of dust !

·
Registered
19 Posts
There is no braking advantage to drilled/slotted rotors under normal conditions. Under repeated heavy braking (think racing on a road course), the slots allow the hot brake pad gases to escape and improve pad contact pressure for more consistent performance and feel. Unless you are an SCCA member and 'play' on your local road course, on a street car they are mostly for looks.

·
Super Moderator
2,616 Posts
I had slotted rotors on my 200 (not driled and slotted). I didn't use ceramic EBC, I used a different brand of ceramic - Power Stop I think and had very little dust. The pads and rotors didn't last very long. About 3 or 4 months before I traded the car in, I put back on the OEM pads and rotors (not worn out yet), turned out the preformance was better under normal conditions. Wtth heavy and repeaded braking, the high performance pads and rotors were better. I won't be putting high performance pads and rotors on my new ride.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had slotted rotors on my 200 (not driled and slotted). I didn't use ceramic EBC, I used a different brand of ceramic - Power Stop I think and had very little dust. The pads and rotors didn't last very long. About 3 or 4 months before I traded the car in, I put back on the OEM pads and rotors (not worn out yet), turned out the preformance was better under normal conditions. Wtth heavy and repeaded braking, the high performance pads and rotors were better. I won't be putting high performance pads and rotors on my new ride.
Except for the excessive dust, I am happy w the pad and rotor performance. No squeeking or chatter... nice linear stopping when on them hard and in wet conditions. Ill prob go w a different pad next time around. Ill update at another 7500mi see where Im at. Thanks for all the input guys! Happy Thanksgiving! ( easy on the cranberry sauce)

Reactions: fltru103
1 - 8 of 8 Posts