Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my "Auto-comfort" settings I have it set to turn the heat on the drivers seat at ALL STARTS however, it has NOT been turning on & when I try it manually by tapping the screen icon it just immediately shuts off-never giving any heat whatsoever! Passenger side works fine (low & high temp settings) Does this sound like a short? A fuse issue? Anything that won't cost an arm & a leg? Living in WI. where the Winter's get mighty cold its a main reason I purchased this car to begin with!

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,695 Posts
Did you get the power seat up/down issue fixed or is this another problem?
The heated/vented seat and heated steering wheel control module for both seats is under the passenger seat. Make sure that no wiring has been pulled and the module connectors are securely plugged in.
This thread includes diagrams that may help:

If you need help, most dealers have a similar shop policy. It will be explained to you at the service desk and may be posted on the wall as well. The diagnostic charge to find out what is wrong is generally 1 hour labor. This 1 hour is usually also the minimum charge. Rate per hour can vary by region and shop and is about $100-$125 per flat rate hour.
If they can diagnose and repair it for that, great. If more time and/or parts are needed, they should stop and contact you with an estimate. At this point you can authorize or decline further action.

The seat module can store fault codes that are helpful in finding the problem. Hopefully it is something simple.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Strangely enough the up-down button just decided to work again out of the blue however, after having checked the fuse for my driver's side heated seat it was fine! My car is not equipped w/seat vents either but now I'm really stumped as to why it worked just fine last winter & now it doesn't? Like I said previously, the passenger seat heats up so if I have a "short" somewhere wouldn't it have effected BOTH seats? Could having my engine replaced have anything to do with it? Funny how this problem only occurred after my engine had to be replaced- thank god for Chryslers "good will" policy! What now?

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,695 Posts
The seat heaters work independently left & right side. Since the drivers seat is the one mostly used, it can 'wear out' the fastest.

It may be an 'open' heater element in the drivers seat cushion? The heating wires can flex & break inside the seat sometimes. It may store an 'open' fault code in the seat module to help with diagnosis. The seat back heater is less stressed than the seat cushion heater.

Seat module fault codes can be read with a capable scan tool. It may be worth a 'diagnostic fee' at the shop to save time and know what we are dealing with.

The seat 'up' motor deciding to work again may be from a bad connection? The same seat motor is used for going down (they just reverse it), so the motor itself should be OK. Did the drivers seat switch ever get wet from a window being left down?
Sometimes the underseat wiring can get pulled by something under the seat and the seat is moved forward or backward?

It may be unrelated to the seat heating problem, but if there is time left on your 'one hour of diagnostic time', an answer on the up/down switch would be appreciated (there may be a fault code for that also).
If the fixes are simple, I suggest going ahead with the repairs. If the repair estimate is too high, stop there for now and consider your options.

I think that the engine replacement and the seat malfunctions happening at the same time are probably a coincidence. The 2 are seemingly unrelated to each-other.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts