Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here’s a cautionary tale about driving in deep water with your 200.

This is the 2015 200C that I’m always working on for my brother. He drives for DoorDash and his city was somewhat flooded a few weeks ago. He tried to go through water way too deep that night. The engine stalled abruptly and wouldn’t restart. I had him tow it to the dealer because we smelled electrical burning smell and I didn’t think I’d have access to proper wire schematics to troubleshoot the problem.
Dealer charged about $1600 for diagnosis, new starter, new plugs and air filter. They gave it back to him and he was able to drive it for about a week.
Then, while leaving his apartment, the engine made a bang, all warning lights illuminated and the engine started clattering. He made it back to his parking spot and shut it off.
When I came to see it I could tell there was a hole in the block under the No 1 cylinder.
My theory is that the shock of the engine stopping so abruptly and the fact the dealer didn’t change the oil to remove any remaining water are they reasons why the connecting rod gave up.

A close friend of mine is now replacing the entire engine for him

The silver lining is his car has about 162k miles on it and the new engine only has 27k.

Look out for that deep water!

The third photo here is what the front of the block area is supposed to look like.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Asphalt Automotive exterior Gas

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Gas Auto part

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Rim Engineering

Automotive tire Bicycle part Gas Wood Machine

·
Registered
39 Posts
Insurance pays us technicians very well. I always look forward to massive rain storms lol. I once pulled the upper intake on a 3.6 minivan, and every single intake port was filled with water

1 - 2 of 2 Posts