Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok today we drove the car for the first time this winter and pulled into the drive and got stuck. the wheels started to spin and the wife got panicky and so i took over. anyway as i was rocking the car a neighbor came over and told me the back wheels were not turning. i look at the controls and found the e-brake light on. i could not turn it off bu\y pressing it until i put it in park and then when i tried to get out the car did move but the e-brake turned itself back on when the wheels spun a bit. so what is up with this a problem or is this normal? is there a procedure i need to learn in case this happens again like maybe turn off traction control? thanks for any help.

·
Super Moderator
2,422 Posts
Did you have the door open when you tried to rock it back and forth? If so, then this is normal, it's a safety feature for the park brake to turn itself on if you have the car in drive or reverse with the door even partially open.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes i had the door open thanks for that. wanted to see what i was doing with the wheels. and how would i disable the parking brake if stuck? thanks for that

·
Super Moderator
2,422 Posts
yes i had the door open thanks for that. wanted to see what i was doing with the wheels. and how would i disable the parking brake if stuck? thanks for that
I am not sure how to disable the safety feature since I have never needed to or tried etc... - actually you might be able to by going to "service" park brake, but I wouldn't recommend doing that besides to change out your rear brake pads - but here's a video with more info on the parking brake. It might be in a settings menu, hopefully someone that has more info will chime in. The 5" touchscreen has the same menu but looks a little different.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the video. i will watch them tonight for more information. i will have to just keep the door closed. it must be some safety features they have built into the car. can't beat them up for that. i was just not looking for the e brake to be on. now i know. i don't have a manual park brake feature of i have not yet found it. no lever or foot pedal. thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,820 Posts
thanks for the video. i will watch them tonight for more information. i will have to just keep the door closed. it must be some safety features they have built into the car. can't beat them up for that. i was just not looking for the e brake to be on. now i know. i don't have a manual park brake feature of i have not yet found it. no lever or foot pedal. thanks
It is a button on your console, it is an electronic park brake.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i know where the electronic brake is. in my post i said i had to turn it off a number of times. they tole mt i needed to close the door for the brake to not turn on when in gear.

·
Registered
814 Posts
There is no need to turn off the "auto park brake", and it wouldn't help if you did.

From the Owners Manual. As they say, "RTFM" :D.

Safehold

Safehold is a safety feature of the Electric Park Brake
System that will engage the park brake automatically if
the vehicle is left unsecured. If the automatic transmission
is not in PARK, the seat belt is unbuckled, the driver
door is open, the vehicle is at a standstill, and there is no
attempt to depress the brake pedal or accelerator pedal,
the park brake will automatically engage to prevent the
vehicle from rolling.

Safehold can be temporarily bypassed by pressing the
Electric Park Brake Switch to the release position while
the driver door is open. Once manually bypassed, Safehold
will be enabled again once the vehicle reaches
12 mph (20 km/h) or the ignition is cycled to the OFF
position and back to ON again.
So you can open the door without the parking brake automatically engaging (i.e. Safehold), if you have your seat belt on.

Or you can disable Safehold temporarily by "pressing the Electric Park Brake Switch to the release position while the driver door is open".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts