Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I’m at 54,xxx miles and 500 miles till 5k miles and I’m at 38% oil life. Just checked the oil and it’s at the lower end of the crosshatch but dirty. I’m I ok to still go the extra 500 miles before my oil change or go ahead and change it?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,513 Posts
Recent things that shorten oil life like cooler weather and the change of seasons, probably haven't been figured into the PCMs oil life algorithm yet.
Short trips are another factor that lowers oil life. Crankcase moisture and condensation rise with these 2 situations. Sometimes the PCV valve can't keep up with it.

I would change the oil & filter at your earliest opportunity. It isn't an emergency.
I change mine with synthetic at about 20% life or 1 year, whichever comes first. I don't drive very much.
Use an API-certified motor oil that meets Chrysler MS-6395. MS is Material Standard:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I’ve always been a 3000mi oil changer. But that changed with my wife’s 21 Cherokee. I’m a mechanic and got sick of changing oil all the time on my vehicles. I use Pennzoil synthetic and change every 5000mi now. Even at 15k miles the oil appears dirty. But it’s fine. Engines these days are built to have extended oil change intervals. Just trust the oil life monitor. Even 5k is overkill in my opinion in a modern vehicle. Also the rest of the car will fall apart or rot away long before the engine gives out due to oil related issues. Unless people go way over like 10k on an oil change.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I change mine around 8k. Right now Im using Mobil 1 syn and extended life filter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts