Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I'm not asking a question previously answered, but here goes. Yesterday, I changed my oil myself (yes, I've always taken it elsewhere before now) in my 2011 Limited Hardtop Convertible. Simplest oil change ever! While under the car, though, I noticed that all the plastic surrounding pieces seemed to have holes to connect an "under-engine" splash shield. I have no big plastic part under the engine, and it doesn't look like there was ever one there. Should there be?

· Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
3,087 Posts
It might have been part of the Great Corporate De-contenting that took place to save money where they could. DaimlerChrysler was famous for this before the bankruptcy. Unfortunately, people noticed the missing content and felt ripped off.
If it had one, sometimes during an oil change, the shield wouldn't get reinstalled. Forgotten or a screw broke off.

Mom's new Caliber was part of the decontenting and it bothered me. I installed covers & shields (and floormats) that I thought that it should have come with. The small Jeeps usually come with bellypans.
The engineers designed & installed one at first, but the bean-counters took it away as unecessary. I can't really blame them as the order came down from management to cut costs.
The early Sebring(200)/Avenger (JS-body) would have had the one shown below.

It is more than looks, in some small degree, it makes the car quieter, reduces engine compartment and undercarriage wind turbulence, reduces drag and improves fuel economy. If you want one, look for a used or new one. It will need the plastic retainers & metric screws/washers:

Font Rectangle Parallel Terrestrial plant Automotive lighting

· Administrator
3,087 Posts
If it is a drain, it would drain water or melted ice under the engine.
The entire shield would come off for an oil & filter change.
You should be able to install it 'as is'. It should be intuitive once you see the part.

· Administrator
3,087 Posts
It depends. It does a fractional improvement in coefficient of drag (Cd).

Belly pan - EcoModder Forum Wiki

"The underside of your car is one of its most aerodynamically dirty areas".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.