Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm starting a new thread because I don't see other ppl having the same problem as I do... a weird stalling problem on my 15 Chrysler 200 limited 2.4L engine. Has 85K+ on it.

So I was driving normally - started the engine, backed up from parking spot, then shifted to D to drive... but at first stop, the engine shuts off on its own. Dash read "Shift to P to start" and the gear light on the knob started flashing. This was several seconds before battery completely shut off, so I managed to shift to P before everything went out, and pulled to a gas station so I won't get hit (no engine power).

I then tried to restart the engine, but failed twice; and third try, it started. Everything was fine after then. I was able to drive normally back home.

Then the next day exact same thing happened: started fine, but engine stalled after FIRST STOP AT IDLE. I was able to re-start it after 2 tries, then was completely fine.

The worst thing was when I took it to my mechanics, they couldn't find what the problem is. Also, when I drove it to the shop, it was fine (engine did not stall at all). No codes, no lights on, and they basically couldn't get it to stall like I did.

So must be something wrong with myself?? Please send help... thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
1,819 Posts
Before going any further.
Has the battery been replaced yet ?
if not, I suggest doing that first. A 2015 model could be well over 4 year old by now.
It's time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion. The battery has not been changed and I will do that soon.

An update: I just checked the oil level, which was very low (below the lower bar on dipstick, but oil pressure light is not on). I added about 1 qt and it came back a little on the dipstick. So my guess would be that ECM somehow detects that oil level is too low and force shut down the engine at idle (is it even possible?).

I checked the hood and watched for leaks under the car, seems to be none, and no smell of any kind. My guess is oil consumption since it has 85,000 miles and last oil change was about 7k ago. Will get an oil change this weekend and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
This is a fail safe for the 2.4 liter. It shuts off to prevent the engine from seizing when it's too low on oil. The 2.4 liter does use alot of oil for some owners. My Ex's Dart 2.4 uses about a quart between 800 to 1000 miles.

I had found that Wal Mart had best prices for the Pennzoil 0W20 oil.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks man! It looks like that's the case. I changed the oil and filled about 5.8 qt to make the dipstick level look OK. And it has been running smoothly since. Looks like mine burns a qt around 1000 mi too, but defnitely I'll keep a closer eye on it.

And Walmart is probably the best option here in VA too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all, I'm starting a new thread because I don't see other ppl having the same problem as I do... a weird stalling problem on my 15 Chrysler 200 limited 2.4L engine. Has 85K+ on it.

So I was driving normally - started the engine, backed up from parking spot, then shifted to D to drive... but at first stop, the engine shuts off on its own. Dash read "Shift to P to start" and the gear light on the knob started flashing. This was several seconds before battery completely shut off, so I managed to shift to P before everything went out, and pulled to a gas station so I won't get hit (no engine power).

I then tried to restart the engine, but failed twice; and third try, it started. Everything was fine after then. I was able to drive normally back home.

Then the next day exact same thing happened: started fine, but engine stalled after FIRST STOP AT IDLE. I was able to re-start it after 2 tries, then was completely fine.

The worst thing was when I took it to my mechanics, they couldn't find what the problem is. Also, when I drove it to the shop, it was fine (engine did not stall at all). No codes, no lights on, and they basically couldn't get it to stall like I did.

So must be something wrong with myself?? Please send help... thanks in advance!
I was having this exact same issue, and it was driving me insane. I hadn't yet taken my 2015 200C in to be looked at by anyone, but I wasn't getting any warning lights on the engine cluster, I checked AlfaOBD and it didn't throw any codes. I thought it might be a battery issue, since it's 4 years old. But to be hoenst I was at a loss, until I saw the response below.

This is a fail safe for the 2.4 liter. It shuts off to prevent the engine from seizing when it's too low on oil. The 2.4 liter does use alot of oil for some owners. My Ex's Dart 2.4 uses about a quart between 800 to 1000 miles.

I had found that Wal Mart had best prices for the Pennzoil 0W20 oil.
Thank you so much for this response. This is exactly what my issue was as well. Unfortunately by the time I checked my oil, there wasn't any hitting the dipstick, and I'd been having the stalling issue for a little less than a week. Yea, I realize I might not be the brightest bulb, and, in hindsight, checking the oil regularly seems like a forgone conclusion. Oh well, I just have to hope I didn't do any lasting damage to my engine, and chalk this up as a learning experience.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts