Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall

I'm new around here but i got a 2011 chrysler 200 touring 2.4 and recently while I'm driving or if its idling for a little while the rpms will drop to zero and the engine dies. If I try to start it immediately after it'll sputter and keep trying until I turn the key off. If i wait a few minutes it'll fire right up and might continue for a while or it might die in few seconds. Pretty inconsistent. No engine light comes on and I read else where that it might be the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) and before I start dropping $$ I wanna make sure that’s the problem. Thanks for any advice yall got.

·
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
500 Posts
Welcome to the forums. I would try to do some diagnosis before thinking of replacing anything. You don't want to 'guess' at a PCM. They can fail, but it wouldn't be my first suspect.
Have you tried looking for stored fault codes with an OBDII code reader? Do you have access to a scan tool that can view the cam and crank sensor outputs?
You want this to sputter or stall for diagnostics and troubleshooting, otherwise everything may look OK on the scan tool if it is running OK. It may be losing spark or fuel or both?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forums. I would try to do some diagnosis before thinking of replacing anything. You don't want to 'guess' at a PCM. They can fail, but it wouldn't be my first suspect.
Have you tried looking for stored fault codes with an OBDII code reader? Do you have access to a scan tool that can view the cam and crank sensor outputs?
You want this to sputter or stall for diagnostics and troubleshooting, otherwise everything may look OK on the scan tool if it is running OK. It may be losing spark or fuel or both?
Thanks. Yea i didn't want to do anything rash. I had the codes check the first time this happened and at the time there was a code for the leak detection pump but it went away. I have friends that have a scan tool or i can go to auto zone to use theirs but idk if they can view the cam and crank sensor outputs. I recently changed the spark plugs due to mileage requirement. I had brought the car to a shop for them to see what it was but it didn't do it while it was there for 2 days.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I'm just guessing but maybe the fuel pump. You'd need to check the fuel pressure to confirm. I don't know if the large nationwide parts store loan fuel pressure gauges.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had a similar problem a few years ago. I asked the dealership about it and they told me to replace the battery in the key fob. Believe it or not, this solved the problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts