Chrysler 200 Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

· Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
3,083 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Reading through this thread is frustrating, because only one or two members have reported back on what fixed the problem.
The title of this thread doesn't make sense to me, "Engine warming, Please wait to Start". How can an engine warm up if it isn't started and running? I don't doubt that this is the message displayed as no one has disputed that. Does the message appear in the EVIC display between the speedometer and the tach? I see nothing about this message mentioned in the owners or service manuals.
There is no U1540 fault code for these cars and there is no such thing as a 'dead battery' fault code. The closest I could find was a U1504 fault code that is addressed in a TSB (see link below).
The member in post # 18 mentions that the problem hasn't returned since a TCM reprogramming.
I assume that we are talking about 2015 4 & 6 cylinder 200's since the OP began this thread almost 4 years ago?
Only a dealer should reprogram modules. The PCM may be covered under an 8 yr/80K mile extended federal emissions warranty. The TCM may also be covered as the 2015 9-speed has had an extended FCA warranty as well.
A visit to the dealer will also confirm that all recalls have been done. The S55 recall was for a wiring harness that could rub-through and cause weird fault codes.

For 2015 2.4L PCM (resolves U1504 among others):

For 2015 3.6L PCM:

For all 9-speed transaxles TCM:

For 2016 model year there are similar TSB's. Software updates are clean and easy and non-invasive fixes for many problems. There may be updated software available for issues with your HVAC, radio, heated seats and steering wheel, electronic parking brake, electronic shifter, AWD and NAV/GPS, etc.
TSBs are not recalls. They are provided by engineering to the service technicians to help resolve known issues.

• Helpful
Reactions: Administrator

· Registered
2 Posts
Only a dealer should reprogram modules. The PCM may be covered under an 8 yr/80K mile extended federal emissions warranty. The TCM may also be covered as the 2015 9-speed has had an extended FCA warranty as well.
It's because of the literature that's states in not so many but obvious wording if the customer doesn't know then charge him for the fault codes that arose from the failure of the ones that caused but if he is aware of it then reprogram. and that statement "only a dealer" that really doesn't inspire confidence in a dealership to be fair in their diagnosis.

Welcome to the forums. Reading through this thread is frustrating, because only one or two members have reported back on what fixed the problem.
The title of this thread doesn't make sense to me, "Engine warming, Please wait to Start". How can an engine warm up if it isn't started and running?
The ones that haven't reported back may have just given up and traded it in for someone else to buy and deal with.
That title is not correct because it says engine warming wait to start. In the same area where all the digital dash info is displayed. There I can see why you would be suspect we all know they wouldn't ask please. Lol.

My 200 has sat for now going on 1 year and 4 months because I took it to get inspected and was failed for fault code P0128 : Coolant Thermostat. There were no leaks I'm my coolant system, wiring in good condition. So I replaced thermostat. Took a couple days cause at the time I was in the process of building my house. Got it done won't start then attached reader and got I think 30 or so faults. Did a hard reset and it is still in same condition. This pandemic hasn't helped as I have been unemployed and really can't afford to tow to dealer to be fair in the diagnosis they provide me. I am certain all is needed is reprogramming of modules. Because I did the repair myself and it is fair to say that Dodge has pretty much designed these modules to lock down or what is other term low something that is basically what warming engine is. Code for DIY has been attempted. We could skim the security but most don't even know what that is anyway. Well it seems I have no choice but to be robbed of more money I don't have to spare to a dealership who won't let me work on a vehicle I thats in a few months hopefully, if I make it, will be mine clear and free. I do appreciate the links and I will present them when I take my car in. I am crossing my fingers on the warranties you speak of but my luck has been absent. Have a good night fellas I will keep yall informed on what happens of the fix.

· Administrator
3,083 Posts
Welcome to the forums. P0128 aka 'the thermostat code' may indicate the need for a new thermostat, but not always.
It is a common code in winter, but if your heater/defroster is working fairly well, then it may just need the PCM flash.
They made changes to the cooling system control software that includes an erroneous P0116 - engine coolant temperature sensor performance, P0480 - radiator cooling fan 1 circuit open, P050D - cold start, rough idle and P1D73 - AGS (automatic grille shutter) perfotmance.
I'm referring to a 2015 2.4L at the TSB below, but there are PCM software fixes for other years, models and engines.
PCM and PCM software may be covered by your 8 yr/80K mile Extended federal emissions warranty.

• Helpful

· Registered
2 Posts
Welcome to the forums. P0128 aka 'the thermostat code' may indicate the need for a new thermostat, but not always.
It is a common code in winter, but if your heater/defroster is working fairly well, then it may just need the PCM flash.
They made changes to the cooling system control software that includes an erroneous P0116 - engine coolant temperature sensor performance, P0480 - radiator cooling fan 1 circuit open, P050D - cold start, rough idle and P1D73 - AGS (automatic grille shutter) perfotmance.
I'm referring to a 2015 2.4L at the TSB below, but there are PCM software fixes for other years, models and engines.
PCM and PCM software may be covered by your 8 yr/80K mile Extended federal emissions warranty.
Thanks for the welcome and had I known of that bulletin I would have had no problem taking my car to dealership but I was already past warranty at time and really wanted to just get it fixed and move on but apparently it was the pcm as you stated and my ignorance of how Chrysler manages its vehicles computer systems at that time 1 year ago caused me to feel I had messed up the computer somehow. I am glad I refunded my money purchasing a new ecm that was ordered wrong the first time that the parts guy ordered incorrectly and then said he doesn'tknow what happened but the one for my car would be 200 more so that kind of incompetenceby the supposed parts manager didn't compel me to bring my car back but still doesn't fix my car. Now the question is will I still be able to get my car to dealership and will it cost me thousands just to get my pcm and tcm updated. You keep referring to an 8 year extended warranty but where is the link to said documents stating the terms cause may be covered doesn't make me want to take the chance not knowing what I will run into

· Administrator
3,083 Posts
The service advisor should be able to answer any warranty questions by entering your VIN. Are you under 80,000 miles?
If not, the dealer should be able to perform the updates under 1 hour. The last page of the bulletin allows 0.3 hr under warranty time.
All vehicles sold in the USA have EPA extended emission warranties on cats and PCMs. Google it.
A transaxle quicklearn, PROXI and programming of other (non-powertrain) computer modules aren't covered.
CISD-10-01 (LDV/LDT/ICI/LIMO) (epa.gov)
Federal Law 8yr/80k mile warranty on emission devices for every vehicle. Is this true? | Yahoo Answers
If this dealer won't work with you, find one that does.

Reactions: fltru103

· Administrator
3,083 Posts
From Tech2tech:

#1514: Engine no crank no start, "Engine warming message appears"

Martin
Technician

Created 11/5/20 11:18 AM
Last Updated 6/2/21 7:18 PM
Vehicle Info
Description 2015 Chrysler UF - 200
VIN 1C3CCCAB1FN------
Engine ED6-2.4L I4 MultiAir Engine
Transmission DFH-9-Spd 948TE Auto Transmission
Odometer 83352
Problem Description
DTCs (ORC B0028-13) (RFH B1A10-00)
Category System : Engine
Reproducible Yes
Issue
Vehicle will not crank over all lights come on battery voltage is there. We replaced the starter twice first time, for the vehicle not starting and hearing the starter click but not starting the vehicle. Sent the vehicle on its way two months later vehicle comes back same issue only this time it comes with a message on the EVIC " Engine warming wait to start". Contacted star but did not get any where with them, went and checked my start again, back probed it with a test light and had someone in the vehicle start it, light came on bright. Had service manger come and verify and called it for another starter, installed a second starter and vehicle started every time. Shipped vehicle and same thing happened again, vehicle will not start and same message appears. All temp sensors are reading fine in WItech. Any one come across this issue before?

Replies
  • 12/19/2020, 5:53 PM
    Sean
    Technician

Have one, same issue. Also have replaced starter twice , one jumper harness, swapped starter relays with rear def and blower motor. stayed gone 2 months, back today no crank. engine warming message. Did you come up with anything on yours?
    : 0 : 0
  • 12/21/2020, 2:12 PM
    Scott
    Technician
    MARTIN, I HAD THIS EXACT CONCERN ON A DART A SEVERAL YEARS AGO. NO DTC'S AND DASH WOULD SHOW WAIT TO START ENGINE WARMING. LONG STORY SHORT IT ENDED UP BEING A BCM RANDOMLY THINKING IT WAS A DIESEL. NO HELP FROM STAR OR EVEN A TECH ADVISOR WHO CAME OUT AND SAID I WAS A WIRING CONCERN. REPLACED THE BCM, AND ALL WAS WELL.
    : 1 : 0
  • 01/21/2021, 9:26 AM
    Martin
    Technician

Yeah so we found ours to be the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM). So after doing the starter twice and the starter wire eyelet. I verified it again when it came in again and it acts like its no good. But it was only about a month old and it all checked out. So we ran some more tests and like Scott said Star is no help when this problem comes in and our Advisor kind of gave us the run around, which tells me he had no idea. But yeah we replaced the TIPM and the car hasen't been back since. Will keep this updated.
  • 05/14/2021, 10:18 AM
    kyle
    Technician
    I'm having the same issue on a problem car from another tech, had a starter and wire done, kin, and I've put a bcm and tipm in with no change. after driving about 20+ mins, will not restart for about 10mins. briefly shows the wait to start engine warming message still
  • 05/28/2021, 1:20 PM
    Randall
    Technician

Anyone make any progress on this issue?
  • 05/29/2021, 9:28 AM
    kyle
    Technician
    FWIW my problem car is a 14 Cherokee, I know it needs a trans and motor at this point regardless, but its our old loaner and I'm just trying to get it usable again
  • 05/29/2021, 12:34 PM
    Trained
    Technician
    I have had a few with a bad main battery ground at the trans have a similar issue....
  • 06/01/2021, 11:53 AM
    Randall
    Technician

Mine is a '15 200. Problem is pretty intermittent, about every 3-4 days. Then it starts and its fine.
    I checked and cleaned the battery grounds at the frame and trans, and starter connections.

: 1 : 0
  • 06/02/2021, 4:33 PM
    Technician

Same issue mine is a 2015 200, checked wiring, someone else put in a starter...ect. Vehicle will only duplicate after being driven long time on a warm(ambi temp). About to shotgun a BCM and see if that fixes it
  • 06/02/2021, 7:18 PM
    Randall
    Technician

OK, I found the bolts inside the tipm that hold the connectors in were extremely loose. (like 10 turns.)
    After re-tightening them its been good for the last few days.
    It looks like someone recently replaced the trans mount and probably left them loose.

• Helpful

· Registered
1 Posts
post a picture of the dash showing the message, im curious.

sounds very electrical IMO.
Maybe TIPM?

Maybe consider checking the app called "AlfaOBD" on the play store. it can read dealer level codes that normal OBD scanners can't.

you said she has a new battery.. what happens when you leave the car parked overnight and locked so the computers go into a 'deep sleep' mode. will it produce better results?

best of luck
Having same issues
Automotive design Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Personal luxury car

· Administrator
3,083 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The 200, Dart & Cherokee all have a similar electrical architecture dependent on the Gateway (BCM) module for the vehicle configuration. I think that sometimes the BCM 'forgets' what vehicle it is in.
The message doesn't make sense unless you are a diesel. I mean how do you warm up if you aren't running?
If you read this thread, you may find that nobody really knows what it is.

If you Google this, you will find a YouTube, forum inquiry, etc, about the problem. Don't let them start throwing expensive parts at the problem. It doesn't seem to be a starter or computer module issue.
The battery & grounds must be good. Corrosion can be an issue, especially in damp climates. Road salt and floods can be regional issues.
What year? Do you know this car's past history?

• Helpful

· Registered
1 Posts
So I checked fuse f80 (radio fuse) and found that it was draining power from my battery causing weird messages like this to pop up I pulled the fuse (later replaced it) and haven’t had the problem since. Do an easy drain test on the battery and see if you’re finding a drain on that fuse. I’ve so far had 10 different people have this issue and found the same solution I did. Just check it out, might save you $$$$.

· Registered
894 Posts
So I checked fuse f80 (radio fuse) and found that it was draining power from my battery causing weird messages like this to pop up I pulled the fuse (later replaced it) and haven’t had the problem since. Do an easy drain test on the battery and see if you’re finding a drain on that fuse. I’ve so far had 10 different people have this issue and found the same solution I did. Just check it out, might save you $$$$.
I don't see how substituting a different fuse would have any effect.

While pulling the fuse would stop any current from flowing through the circuit, installing a different one shouldn't make any difference. The resistance of any fuse is essentially zero. i.e., it doesn't limit the current flow, that is until the rated current limit is reached and it blows then obviously no current will flow.

· Administrator
3,083 Posts
F80 is dedicated to the radio only. I can't see where it would have any effect on engine starting:

Rectangle Slope Line Parallel Font

• Helpful

· Registered
2 Posts
Was there ever an actual fix to this? This is now happening to me. Took the car to Pepboys and it took them almost two weeks to come up with the “starter and new battery” the “fix” worked for 2 days and now we’re back to “engine warming wait to start”

· Administrator
3,083 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I have been in touch with FCA about this & haven't had a response back (they may not know the reason either)? Have you experienced a blinking odometer display at all?
If you read the previous posts about this here & on Google, you will not see a definitive solution. It affects the electrically similar Dart & Cherokee?
If you use the 'Search Community' at the top of the page, you will see other threads about this.
I'm sorry that you bought a starter & battery that you probably didn't need.

If anyone can help, it would be a Chrysler dealer. There may not have been some inside-knowledge that I haven't been privy to?
If you do get a fix or an answer for this, please share it here.

The best I can figure out, is that it is something to do with the BCM PROXI configuration. Almost like the car forgets its core identity. The BCM (body control module) is the 'gate-keeper' for the other modules.
I don't know how it gets its identity back (or even if this is the problem). This is an 'intermittent' problem. Does the car always start for you later? Like nothing ever happened? I don't know how often this happens, but any problem that can strand you is a big problem.

If you do decide to have a dealer look at it, agree to the 'diagnostic' (usually the shop minimum) charge. They should not go beyond that without your authorization. There is a member here @ChryslerCares, that can help guide the car through the service department visit.
Rectangle Font Circle Number Paper

Rectangle Handwriting Font Magenta Smile

· Registered
2 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I have been in touch with FCA about this & haven't had a response back (they may not know the reason either)? Have you experienced a blinking odometer display at all?
If you read the previous posts about this here & on Google, you will not see a definitive solution. It affects the electrically similar Dart & Cherokee?
If you use the 'Search Community' at the top of the page, you will see other threads about this.
I'm sorry that you bought a starter & battery that you probably didn't need.

If anyone can help, it would be a Chrysler dealer. There may not have been some inside-knowledge that I haven't been privy to?
If you do get a fix or an answer for this, please share it here.

The best I can figure out, is that it is something to do with the BCM PROXI configuration. Almost like the car forgets its core identity. The BCM (body control module) is the 'gate-keeper' for the other modules.
I don't know how it gets its identity back (or even if this is the problem). This is an 'intermittent' problem. Does the car always start for you later? Like nothing ever happened? I don't know how often this happens, but any problem that can strand you is a big problem.

If you do decide to have a dealer look at it, agree to the 'diagnostic' (usually the shop minimum) charge. They should not go beyond that without your authorization. There is a member here @ChryslerCares, that can help guide the car through the service department visit.
View attachment 61594
View attachment 61595
Thank you for your response. My car hasn’t started back up at all. I did read that others were able to after sitting for a while. I’ll schedule an appointment with the local dealer and go from there. Whatever I find out, I’ll be sure to come back and post.

· Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for your response. My car hasn’t started back up at all. I did read that others were able to after sitting for a while. I’ll schedule an appointment with the local dealer and go from there. Whatever I find out, I’ll be sure to come back and post.
Any update on this? having the exact same “engine warming wait to start” message in my 2015 Dodge Dart 2.4L. Brand new battery and starter tested good. Looking to replace the BCM next to see if that does anything.

· Administrator
3,083 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The BCM is an expensive guess. After a starter & battery replacement, I would want to stop & review the situation.
Who has looked at this for you & what do they think?

· Registered
553 Posts
Was there ever an actual fix to this? This is now happening to me. Took the car to Pepboys and it took them almost two weeks to come up with the “starter and new battery” the “fix” worked for 2 days and now we’re back to “engine warming wait to start”
Hello!

If you are having these ongoing concerns persist, please reach out to our team! We are here to help alongside your dealership. Send our team a private message with your vehicle information so we can look into this further.

And @200_S_AWD if you also have any lingering questions or concerns feel free to shoot us another private message. Appreciate it!

Hannah
Chrysler Cares

Reactions: 200_S_AWD
21 - 38 of 38 Posts