Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I've been driving my 2012 200 2.4L for about two months now relatively problem free until recently. This past week, a CEL popped on, and I ran to my local parts store to get the code. The code was a P0441, which I was hoping was just the gas cap. The CEL eventually turned off, but after driving my car through a pretty intense rain storm, the ETC light started flashing and the Stability control light came on as well. My car was then put in "limp mode," barely making it above 30MPH. I pulled over, turned it off for a couple minutes, and everything disappeared and the car ran smoothly. I drove it to work the next day without any issues, but once I went to leave, the ETC and stability control lights came on, and same issue again. I tried to pull the codes with the key method, but it wouldn't display any. I've also done some research on the issue, and its pointing towards a bad throttle body. The car doesn't even have 50,000 miles on it, which is why I'm slightly confused. I also believe that the battery is original. Could this be the problem or is the throttle body the culprit? Any help would be appreciated, but I'm debating on taking the car to my friend's shop and having them run some detailed diagnostic tests on it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello All,

I've been driving my 2012 200 2.4L for about two months now relatively problem free until recently. This past week, a CEL popped on, and I ran to my local parts store to get the code. The code was a P0441, which I was hoping was just the gas cap. The CEL eventually turned off, but after driving my car through a pretty intense rain storm, the ETC light started flashing and the Stability control light came on as well. My car was then put in "limp mode," barely making it above 30MPH. I pulled over, turned it off for a couple minutes, and everything disappeared and the car ran smoothly. I drove it to work the next day without any issues, but once I went to leave, the ETC and stability control lights came on, and same issue again. I tried to pull the codes with the key method, but it wouldn't display any. I've also done some research on the issue, and its pointing towards a bad throttle body. The car doesn't even have 50,000 miles on it, which is why I'm slightly confused. I also believe that the battery is original. Could this be the problem or is the throttle body the culprit? Any help would be appreciated, but I'm debating on taking the car to my friend's shop and having them run some detailed diagnostic tests on it.
Have you found a solution? I am facing the same problem

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
2,652 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The OP hasn't logged in since 2017. This is a 2012 with 2.4L?
Do you have the 'ck eng' light & flashing ETC light? Any stored fault codes?
The 'ck eng' light can turn off, but codes should stay stored in memory.
An ETC light can store fault codes in the PCM or ABS (anti-lock brake) module.
Any throttle body service history?

Reactions: ggoose

·
Registered
279 Posts
As 200_s_awd noted, pulling the stored diagnostic trouble codes (dtc's) / fault codes is important to know where to start trouble-shooting. An active ETC fault will light the lamp, however once the condition has cleared the lamp is turned off and the active code is reset. The code is then stored for 30-40 restarts so a past fault can be diagnosed. Thus you would need a scanner capable of reporting on stored codes as well as active codes.

Some codes will also trigger a data freeze frame when the fault occurred that can be pulled by some scanners. When I was trouble-shooting an ETC issue I was able to pull the data freeze frame when the P2110 fault occurred and in fact there were 3 or 4 data freeze frames all with the P2110 code (using the AlphaOBD software app).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The OP hasn't logged in since 2017. This is a 2012 with 2.4L?
Do you have the 'ck eng' light & flashing ETC light? Any stored fault codes?
The 'ck eng' light can turn off, but codes should stay stored in memory.
An ETC light can store fault codes in the PCM or ABS (anti-lock brake) module.
Any throttle body service history?
Throttle Body was replaced, still having the same problems. Throttle body light flashing with stability control light on cannot go above 30mph or the rpms jump and boggs down. It's throwing a few codes one is u1424 which is something with the Torque converter. Other codes with the sensors have already been replaced, but still showing up.

·
Administrator
2,652 Posts
Are you sure that it is U1424? That code does not exist in the service information for a 2011-2014 200 with either a 2.4L or 3.6L.
U1424-00-IMPLAUSIBLE ENGINE TORQUE SIGNAL RECEIVED

It has nothing to do with a torque converter. It is due to low engine power (torque) output on other cars.
Is this the correct car listed? Can you get the fault codes read again and post them here?
Fault codes may not mean a 'bad' sensor. It just tells us where to look. Use OEM parts.
Always diagnose first.

Product Font Wood Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

·
Registered
279 Posts
Please list the codes you have and note them as active or stored. Are you able to pull the codes from the other computer modules other than the ECM, for example, ABS module?

What is the condition of the battery? Chrysler computer modules do not tolerate low voltage conditions well and will throw sorts of random codes and cause all sorts of weird behavior.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Are you sure that it is U1424? That code does not exist in the service information for a 2011-2014 200 with either a 2.4L or 3.6L.
U1424-00-IMPLAUSIBLE ENGINE TORQUE SIGNAL RECEIVED

It has nothing to do with a torque converter. It is due to low engine power (torque) output on other cars.
Is this the correct car listed? Can you get the fault codes read again and post them here?
Fault codes may not mean a 'bad' sensor. It just tells us where to look. Use OEM parts.
Always diagnose first.

View attachment 60390
Hand Blue Fluid Finger Gadget

Hand Blue Finger Bicycle accessory Measuring instrument

Hand Blue Finger Gadget Measuring instrument

Hand Blue Finger Bicycle accessory Measuring instrument

Hand Fluid Finger Bicycle accessory Gadget

Hand Blue Finger Gadget Measuring instrument

Hand Blue Bicycle accessory Medical equipment Finger

Hand Finger Gadget Measuring instrument Bicycle accessory

·
Registered
9 Posts
Please list the codes you have and note them as active or stored. Are you able to pull the codes from the other computer modules other than the ECM, for example, ABS module?

What is the condition of the battery? Chrysler computer modules do not tolerate low voltage conditions well and will throw sorts of random codes and cause all sorts of weird behavior.
What is the correct way to perform throttle body relearn?

·
Administrator
2,652 Posts
OK. The 2015-2017 200 (UF-body) does have U1424 as a possibility, the previous generation 200 (JS-body) does not.
Thank you for posting the correct information. There are a couple of separate things going on.

There was a software update released in 2018 that may address some erroneous fault codes (DTCs).
Has the 2021 oil consumption recall update W20 been done (if it is eligible)? The recall update should contain all the improvements of previous updates.
Font Number Parallel Screenshot Rectangle

Otherwise, this service is covered under an 8yr/80K mile extended federal emissions warranty. If you are out of this warranty, the dealer may be able to do it under their minimum charge/diagnostic fee of 1 hr labor? No parts are involved and you might ask if they can check & update the TCM or other modules if they have newer software releases. Schedule an appointment with your dealer if you need any of this work done.
Font Material property Parallel Number Screenshot

TCM SOFTWARE UPDATE:
Font Screenshot Number Document

The P0108 & P1185 are MAP-related codes. Has the MAP been replaced? An engine stall can set a MAP code as the PCM sees the engine still turning with no manifold vacuum.

The P0520 & P0522 are oil pressure related fault codes. Has the oil pressure sender been replaced? Does the car have the correct motor oil & filter on it?
Rectangle Font Circle Number Pattern

Rectangle Font Circle Art Number

The P0440, P0456 & P0457 codes are evaporative emission codes. The P0457 'gas cap' code indicates a large leak. I have fixed nuisance leak codes by lightly sanding the fuel filler tube opening where the gas cap seal ring seats against it & coated the rim with a silicone grease. This will improve the seal & help prevent future surface rust.
Erase the codes and see if any come back. They shouldn't affect the way the car runs.

With related fault codes, I usually try to see what 'Possible Causes' they may share in common. Then eliminate the culprits one at a time until you narrow down the list and hopefully find the answer.

For best results, use OEM parts. They don't necessarily have to be Mopar, but should describe themselves as OEM. Many repeated problems are from 'wrong' parts. You don't suspect they are the problem because they are brand new. Some parts say OE-style or OE-fit, but I avoid these.
FCA dealer parts counter prices vary a lot & there are some good Mopar deals on ebay, etc.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Electric blue

Font Rectangle Screenshot Parallel Number

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Electric blue

Font Screenshot Rectangle Parallel Number

·
Administrator
2,652 Posts
Were they OEM parts? What is the brands & part numbers. Do they still have a warranty?
The MAP fault code may be a symptom of something else? It may be a wiring (short/open) or ground connection problem?
There is no throttle body fault code.
The codes don't have to mean a bad MAP sensor or a bad throttle body themselves, but the codes can tell you what circuits are involved and maybe what to look at more closely.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I believe they're the OEM parts from Mopar. Has the pcm update been promising for other owners that you're aware of? I have it scheduled for Wednesday at the dodge dealership hopefully that's the issue.

·
Administrator
2,652 Posts
It is at least part of the issues. Let us know which fault codes return after the update.

·
Administrator
2,652 Posts
There is an update for the HVAC also?:
Font Number

·
Registered
9 Posts
Update: catalitic converter is completely plugged and engine has misfires from all 4 cylinders. Dealer wanted to charge 8k for replacement. charging 5k for cat! I got the oem cat, spark plugs, coil pack and 2 o2 sensors under $800. Job is extremely easy to do yourself.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts