Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is to plan for our maintenance and to know what are the common issues with the 200 , and to be able to identify the causes of some of the problems and how to avoid them.

List all failures you had and what do you expect you will have in the future

2016 Chrysler 200
Milage : 56K miles

1- Ticking Sound (Hydraulic Lifters & Rocker Arms Replacement)

Rocker Arm is a common failure to Penstater V6 Engines that causes ticking sound.

2- Rattling Sound from Steering Shaft (Replaced Steering Gear)

He talked about it At 4:38 , I got the same problem and the exact same rattling sound at 4:50. No issue noticed except the rattling sound.

3- Replace Engine Oil Cooler Adapter because of Engine oil Leak

Engine Oil Cooler Adapter was leaking oil under the transmission area , It's something to look for because I have seen it occurs as it's not uncommon to happen to Penstater V6 Engine. If Leak is not catched and got fixed early then it may develop later on into (Engine Oil and Radiater Coolant mixed)

4- Engine Cranckcase Seal Replaced because of a Leak

5- A/C Evaporater replaced duo to small refrigerant "Freon" leak

6- Either AC Door Blender Actuater or AC Blower Motor got replaced (not sure which one) , the issue there was a clicking sound

Wear and Tear items :

1- one Front Shock Absorber
2- Both Front Lower Controling Arms
3- PCV Valve
3- Battery got replaced twice

·
Premium Member
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
412 Posts
2016 200S @ 19,000 miles:
1) Worn right. rear sway bar link. Rattle over bumps. Replaced rear links under warranty.

2) LF brake caliper slider rusted stuck. Caused LF pads to wear on a taper. Freed up sliders during brake job.

3) Had software updates done per TSB:
08-016-16A - heated steering wheel shuts off too soon.
08-038-16 - parking brake erratic.
08-111-19A - radio issues.
18-009-17 - PCM/driveability.
21-053-18 - TCM/shift quality and 21-013-16B - quicklearn. Performed Proxi alignment.
21-008-16 - AWD modules.
24-008-16 - HVAC module erratic temperature control.

It is easy and non-invasive when issues can be fixed by a simple software update.

·
Registered
78 Posts
2015 200C with 58,000 miles.

1. Transmission replaced in September 2019 under warranty. It had the same issues some other users have reported where it gave me many error messages on startup and refused to shift out of park. Originally the dealer thought it was the transmission valve body but it ended up needing an entire transmission.
2. Squealing tensioner. This is covered in a TSB and only happens on cold start and goes away after a few minutes. I have bought a new tensionser but haven't got around to installing it yet.
3. I may have a small coolant leak, but I'm not sure yet and if I do it's very small. I'll get it in for pressure testing eventually if I see further evidence of a leak.
4. This may be considered a wear item, but one of my front wheel bearings went bad. I replaced both of them a few weeks ago since the part was cheap enough it was worth doing both vs tracking down which one exactly was failing (plus if one was failing I figured the other might be right behind it).

Wear items:
1. Replaced both front struts a few weeks ago, at the same time I did the bearings. The car had gotten way more bouncy over bumps in the road and the mileage was about right for them to be worn out. I will also be replacing the rear shocks later this month when I have some time.
2. I am on my second battery. The OEM battery died a few years ago when one of the cells went bad (it was only reading 10 volts instead of 12) so it was necessary to jump the car to start it until I got a replacement.

Other than that just regular routine maintenance (oil changes, air filter, etc). Probably going to be time to replace the brake pads and rotors sometime soon.

Reactions: Believerguy

·
Registered
413 Posts
2015 200C 3.6 67K

UPPER HOSE CLAMP LEAKING - WARRANTY

# 3 FUEL INJECTOR CRAPPED OUT OUT AT 62K - OUT OF POCKET

TSTAT HOUSING BEEN SEEPING A LITTLE SINCE 40K - MAYBE ILL FIX IN SPRING. I DONT MIND THE PRESSURE BLEED OFF. MAYBE THE RADIATOR WILL LAST LONGER?

OTHER THAN ALL THE SOFTWARE UPDATES, THATS IT SO FAR.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2013 V-6 200 convertible and the water pump went out last fall at 47,000 miles.

Interesting reading about the ticking lifters here. I have a 2017 300 with the 3.6 engine and 51k. I have a noticeable ticking sound with the engine and wondered if it means trouble on the horizon. I guess the answer is yes unfortunately although I have maximum care warranty with $100 deductible.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have a 2013 V-6 200 convertible and the water pump went out last fall at 47,000 miles.

Interesting reading about the ticking lifters here. I have a 2017 300 with the 3.6 engine and 51k. I have a noticeable ticking sound with the engine and wondered if it means trouble on the horizon. I guess the answer is yes unfortunately although I have maximum care warranty with $100 deductible.
Look for metal flakes in the oil filter when you change. If none your good. Ive read here that ticking lifters is common w this engine. Metal flakes mean the rockers are wearing and you have too replace the whole head as its cheaper as an assembly. The cause I believe is the studs working their way out of the head, stressing the rockers. The Hemis are having the same random prob. F+%^$ng Chrysler cant build an engine any more. Good luck!

·
Registered
532 Posts

Hi dlk49,

We're sorry to hear of your concerns. If you are unable to receive more feedback from here, we do recommend following up via private message with more details.

Alex
Chrysler Cares

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thank you for sharing the issues and your experiences in the comments. It may be very helpful to other owners to look into what for and help them diagnose issues.

·
Super Moderator
2,583 Posts
I know this is for engine, but others have commented on other systems on this vehicle as well ex. lower control arms and struts. I have a 15 AWD.

My PTU has gone out 3 times. Transmission and engine held up just fine no issues whatsoever.

Oil cooler and radiator both needed replaced near 100K miles, dealer techs noticed coolant smell and cracked t-stat housing when replacing oil cooler.

if you ara a DIY'er and haven't worked on a vehicle newer than 2014 in a long time, be prepared for a very unusual setup in having to remove many components to properly repair your vehicle.

Lower control arm bushings went out 50K and 100K - probably should have replaced them both at the same time. Front wheel bearings going to be replaced soon. I've been through a few batteries as well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
2016 200s AWD 62k

Recently replaced oil cooler seals and both front exhaust flex pipes.

Doing all 4 brakes and rotors soon.

·
Registered
413 Posts
....add the oil cooler at 70k

Reactions: Black Knight

·
Super Moderator
2,583 Posts
Doing all 4 brakes and rotors soon.
Just to clarify for anyone reading, brakes wearing out are normal wear and tear not expected failure, unless a brake line or master cylinder or other non-wear brake system component failed, and varies by how the car is driven and in what type of traffic as to when the brakes will wear out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts