Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have had this issue going on for a few weeks now.
If my 200 is at idle,roughly at 750 RPM, I can hear a faint knocking sound. It happens regardless if it is in D,R,N or P.
It is only audible if radio and ac are off.
No warning lights,and I just had an oil change done at the dealer. The battery was also replaced recently.
I took it to the dealer three times over the past 5-6 weeks and they cannot pin point to exactly what the problem is. Dealer told me they cannot reproduce the issue and Chrysler will not do anything about it since there is no warning lights (still under warranty) Any idea what it could be? I thought based on my previous experience with an old Asian car I used to drive that it is a rod knock. It produces a similar sound, and when I popped the hood, I hear the sound around the engine the loudest.
However, the dealer said it would not happen this early in the engine and that there would be a warning light.
My 2015 200S V6 has 36,000 miles on it.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Not sure, but what I posted is not on all the time. The purge valve goes on and off when needed. I figured since the dealership didn't hear it, sounds like this might be the issue. If it was the valves, I'm hopeful the dealer would have heard it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does it sound like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q8YVyPP_hw

If this is it, it's normal. We have had in depth discussions on this, it's not an issue just the purge valve working.
It does sounds very similar. Somewhat quieter. Where was the in depth discussion at? I would like to see a little more of it.
If it is a known thing, how come Chrysler does not have anything about it, in service bulletins, or their Mopar certified techs are clueless about it?

·
Super Moderator
1,821 Posts
Interesting idea. Could be. Would a rocker arm issue aka the Pentastar tick show a code? I thought it would
I've heard of the "hemi tick" ... never the pentastar tick.

Noise emitting from the engine area won't register a code. The computers don't process information on noises. If they did, the mechanics job would be much easier.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've heard of the "hemi tick" ... never the pentastar tick.

Noise emitting from the engine area won't register a code. The computers don't process information on noises. If they did, the mechanics job would be much easier.
It is mostly found on 11-13 Pentastars that were used on Wranglers, sporadically on Dodges as well. It is accompanied by a check engine light and I have none.

I do not know, but I even had mechanic sit down in the vehicle with me. He heard the noise as well (proof I am not crazy), but could not pin point. Pretty much told me to wait until it gets worse lol.

·
Super Moderator
1,821 Posts
It is mostly found on 11-13 Pentastars that were used on Wranglers, sporadically on Dodges as well. It is accompanied by a check engine light and I have none.

I do not know, but I even had mechanic sit down in the vehicle with me. He heard the noise as well (proof I am not crazy), but could not pin point. Pretty much told me to wait until it gets worse lol.
I am sure your not crazy.
The period 11-13 had some issues with cylinder heads. As the problem worsened the engine would misfire, thus producing a code.
The engine and heads have been changed and were completely resigned somewhere around 2015 or 16.

Hopefully you have time or mileage on your side.
The powertrain warranty is 5 years, 100K miles.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Take the car for a hard ride! A couple W.O.T. blasts and if it's the engine, the noises will be more noticable during or after. A stethascope is the best tool for finding engine noises. They're cheap at the parts store. My guess is it isnt the engine, prob emissions, or belt? Poke around, Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just had this issue fixed and I would not let it go if I were you.

I have a 2015 200C AWD with the 3.6 with about 75K and that tick has been driving me insane!

Then I started having a hard shift between 4th and 5th so I took it in under factory power-train for service, thinking the transmission would be major and the engine would be minor, wound up the transmission was just a software update.

This is what was on the paperwork when I picked it up

"replaced the right intake camshaft, replaced 4 weak lifters and all rockers on intake cam, all had loose rocker arm bearings. Exhaust camshaft is good, no signs of wear but did find 2 weak lifters, replaced those also, installed valve cover and replaced upper intake gaskets, installed intake and the ticking is gone"

I wonder what that would have cost me!

·
Registered
316 Posts
WOW!!! Got me nervous now. Though my car is quiet w no drivability issues...was the car running crappy at all? With the list if repairs they did, it had to b running poopy, or some distinct sounds coming from the valve train.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts