Chrysler 200 Forum banner

Faint knocking sound

18K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  200_S_AWD 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have had this issue going on for a few weeks now.
If my 200 is at idle,roughly at 750 RPM, I can hear a faint knocking sound. It happens regardless if it is in D,R,N or P.
It is only audible if radio and ac are off.
No warning lights,and I just had an oil change done at the dealer. The battery was also replaced recently.
I took it to the dealer three times over the past 5-6 weeks and they cannot pin point to exactly what the problem is. Dealer told me they cannot reproduce the issue and Chrysler will not do anything about it since there is no warning lights (still under warranty) Any idea what it could be? I thought based on my previous experience with an old Asian car I used to drive that it is a rod knock. It produces a similar sound, and when I popped the hood, I hear the sound around the engine the loudest.
However, the dealer said it would not happen this early in the engine and that there would be a warning light.
My 2015 200S V6 has 36,000 miles on it.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

See less See more
#7 ·
It does sounds very similar. Somewhat quieter. Where was the in depth discussion at? I would like to see a little more of it.
If it is a known thing, how come Chrysler does not have anything about it, in service bulletins, or their Mopar certified techs are clueless about it?

#5 · (Edited)
Not sure, but what I posted is not on all the time. The purge valve goes on and off when needed. I figured since the dealership didn't hear it, sounds like this might be the issue. If it was the valves, I'm hopeful the dealer would have heard it.

#11 ·
Take the car for a hard ride! A couple W.O.T. blasts and if it's the engine, the noises will be more noticable during or after. A stethascope is the best tool for finding engine noises. They're cheap at the parts store. My guess is it isnt the engine, prob emissions, or belt? Poke around, Good luck!

#12 ·
I just had this issue fixed and I would not let it go if I were you.

I have a 2015 200C AWD with the 3.6 with about 75K and that tick has been driving me insane!

Then I started having a hard shift between 4th and 5th so I took it in under factory power-train for service, thinking the transmission would be major and the engine would be minor, wound up the transmission was just a software update.

This is what was on the paperwork when I picked it up

"replaced the right intake camshaft, replaced 4 weak lifters and all rockers on intake cam, all had loose rocker arm bearings. Exhaust camshaft is good, no signs of wear but did find 2 weak lifters, replaced those also, installed valve cover and replaced upper intake gaskets, installed intake and the ticking is gone"

I wonder what that would have cost me!

#14 ·
I just had this issue fixed and I would not let it go if I were you.

I have a 2015 200C AWD with the 3.6 with about 75K and that tick has been driving me insane!

Then I started having a hard shift between 4th and 5th so I took it in under factory power-train for service, thinking the transmission would be major and the engine would be minor, wound up the transmission was just a software update.

This is what was on the paperwork when I picked it up

"replaced the right intake camshaft, replaced 4 weak lifters and all rockers on intake cam, all had loose rocker arm bearings. Exhaust camshaft is good, no signs of wear but did find 2 weak lifters, replaced those also, installed valve cover and replaced upper intake gaskets, installed intake and the ticking is gone"

I wonder what that would have cost me!
You didn’t pay for it? And what kind of shop checks for the noise?

#13 ·
WOW!!! Got me nervous now. Though my car is quiet w no drivability issues...was the car running crappy at all? With the list if repairs they did, it had to b running poopy, or some distinct sounds coming from the valve train.

#15 ·
I believe what you were hearing was the HVAC systems servo motors resetting for when you start the car, once you opened the door you turn on a lot of the cars presets that automatically happen and you normally don't even know cause you just get in buckle up and fire the engine, and all of this is done just cause you opened the door.

#16 ·
Hi everyone,

I have had this issue going on for a few weeks now.
If my 200 is at idle,roughly at 750 RPM, I can hear a faint knocking sound. It happens regardless if it is in D,R,N or P.
It is only audible if radio and ac are off.
No warning lights,and I just had an oil change done at the dealer. The battery was also replaced recently.
I took it to the dealer three times over the past 5-6 weeks and they cannot pin point to exactly what the problem is. Dealer told me they cannot reproduce the issue and Chrysler will not do anything about it since there is no warning lights (still under warranty) Any idea what it could be? I thought based on my previous experience with an old Asian car I used to drive that it is a rod knock. It produces a similar sound, and when I popped the hood, I hear the sound around the engine the loudest.
However, the dealer said it would not happen this early in the engine and that there would be a warning light.
My 2015 200S V6 has 36,000 miles on it.

Any suggestion is appreciated.
I have a 2015 Chrysler 200 and every time I take it in and complain they say the same thing they can't replicate it they don't find anything wrong. This has been from the beginning has been from day one-63000 MI program but a lot is Highway.

#18 ·
Welcome to the forums. Is the noise there all the time? Can you hear it best when sitting inside the car at idle?
I would actively get the service advisor, manager or technician to sit inside the car with you to point out the noise.
Gather your paperwork and make sure the concern is documented. If it isn't documented, it doesn't exist.
You can ask when the district service manager comes around and make an appt for him or her to assess the concern.
Many noises don't generate a fault code or turn on a warning light, that is a bogus statement.

The 'leaping forward' may not be related to the noise. Does it feel like engine or transaxle? Has the dealer experienced this 'lunge'? There is new software to address idle flare and surge, as well as shift engagement quality (see below).
Is this a 4 or 6 cylinder?

There are 4-cyl bulletins that may describe engine noises. The purge solenoid pulses like a heartbeat, some are audible. If it is touching body sheetmetal, it can be heard quite clearly inside the car.

The 6-cyl can have upper rocker wear and/or lash adjuster issues. This isn't widespread, but I have seen it. It is important to follow Chrysler recommendations on oil quality and use oil that meets Chrysler MS-6395.

Font Number Parallel Screenshot

Font Screenshot Magenta Musical instrument Advertising

Automotive tire Font Gas Cylinder Technology

Make sure that your PCM and TCM software has the latest and greatest updates installed:

Font Parallel Number Document Screenshot

Font Screenshot Parallel Number Rectangle
Font Screenshot Number Document

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.