Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last week, while out of state 350 miles from home, the warning chime sounds, CEL illuminates, and I feel a very obvious miss. I pull off the interstate check codes with Alfa OBD and see P0201 Fuel Injector Circuit Open and P0301 Misfire Cylinder 1 (later after getting home there was also P1500 ECU Configuration Mismatch).

Being it's a Sunday I decide to drive all the way back home. Aside from power and fuel economy being down, and the vibration from the miss, which led to very rough running in stop and go construction zones, and the warning chime going off twice a minute, it was a lovely drive. ;)

I don't recall anyone else on this forum mentioning a fuel injector failure, and my UF probably has about the lowest mileage here, but this is proof it happens. The resistance across the other five all read about 13 ohms. The bad one was 165 ohms. So apparently a burnt out solenoid, not a clogged injector. Possibly from a bad batch, so not wanting to do this more than once I decided to replace the other five too. The originals were MOPAR brand / Bosch manufactured and I replaced them with Bosch. There are some minor differences in the housing mold marks, so perhaps the design was updated since 2014.

I decided to work on it myself and, since the upper intake had to come off, do as much other maintenance as could be done and hopefully avoid taking it off again any time soon. Meaning new plugs and coils and upgrading the lower intake manifold to the "PUG" version.

The coils and plugs came out easily. The original Champion spark plugs had held up pretty well. The gap spec is .043". Two of them measured at .044" and two at .045". The interesting thing though, was that one was at .039" and one at .035", so they were never set properly at the factory!

Here are a couple videos I found helpful, followed by my notes which might help out the next guy.

Injector Install:

Plugs and Coils:

PUG lower manifold:

Fuel Injector Replacement
  • Relieve fuel pressure. Remove fuel pump motor fuse (No. 43, engine compartment fuse panel). Attempt to start engine for approx. 10 seconds.
  • Remove upper intake manifold (see below)
  • Pull back red locking clip on each fuel injector connector, squeeze down on exposed area of connector and pull connector away from injector to disconnect.
  • Remove fuel rail bolts (x4), must have Torx style bit, there is no hex head.
  • Lift up fuel rail slowly and evenly on each bank, have rags on hand to catch fuel left in rail. (Optional: release fuel line connector first, later on, or not at all).
UF Intake Manifold Removal Steps

Upper
  • Disconnect electrical connector from and remove hose in front of throttle body
  • Disconnect wiring harness connector in front of throttle body (mass air sensor)
  • Disconnect sensor at rear of intake tube and remove tube
  • Release hose at driver side of intake manifold, pry out two clips from upper manifold
  • Disconnect same hose from front of air filter housing and remove
  • Unplug harness at rear of throttle body
  • Move hose and harness to rear of throttle body
  • Remove 8mm bolts at rear / top of intake manifold (x7)
  • Remove nuts at brackets in front of intake manifold 10 mm (x2)
  • Remove hose from driver side rear of intake manifold
  • Remove 2 nuts holding bracket to rear of throttle body
  • Loosen/remove stud from same bracket at driver side rear of intake manifold (easier if you can remove the electrical harness tie-down from the stud first)
  • Tilt upper manifold forward. Lift off.
  • Lift off foam gasket

Lower
  • Remove bolts (x8), Lift off

Install

Font Art Drawing Illustration Auto part

See attachment

Ignition Coil & Spark Plug Removal
  • Press coil electrical connector and pull off
  • Remove 10 mm bolt
  • Pull/twist coil to remove.
  • Loosen plug with socket & ratchet (tape socket to extension so it doesn’t come off.)
  • If socket and/or plug don’t come out after loosening, use magnet to lift out.
Install
  • Spark plug gap .043”
  • Spark plug torque 13 ft lb (17.5 N.m) (Reduce 10-20% w/ anti-seize)
  • Upper manifold torque 7-9 N.m in order shown in attachment.
    Font Art Pattern Illustration Circle
Font Art Pattern Illustration Circle

Attachments

Reactions: fltru103

·
Registered
490 Posts
How many miles does yours have? Mine is a 2015 with 48K miles, and I just got this code. It's weird actually...2 weeks ago I got a P0306 Cylinder 6 Misfire. Car was running fine, so I just cleared the code. Then a week later, I got P0206 Fuel Injector Circuit/Open. Again, no noticeable issues, so I cleared the code again. Been driving it around for 2 days and still no code. Can't really figure this one out, but if it comes back, first thing I'm doing is swapping the coil with another to see if it moves. Of course it's gotta be under the manifold though.

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
2,865 Posts
Chrysler also has a STAR bulletin for possible misfire/fuel injector codes. These can set without actually feeling a cylinder dropping out.
If a code does return and you pull the manifold to swap coils, inspect the wiring harness under the manifold for possible rub-throughs.
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

Motor vehicle Font Urban design Asphalt Engineering

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How many miles does yours have? Mine is a 2015 with 48K miles, and I just got this code. It's weird actually...2 weeks ago I got a P0306 Cylinder 6 Misfire. Car was running fine, so I just cleared the code. Then a week later, I got P0206 Fuel Injector Circuit/Open. Again, no noticeable issues, so I cleared the code again. Been driving it around for 2 days and still no code. Can't really figure this one out, but if it comes back, first thing I'm doing is swapping the coil with another to see if it moves. Of course it's gotta be under the manifold though.
Less mileage than yours. But in my case the injector totally failed, no doubt about it.

As 200_S_AWD helpfully posted, you're going to need to remove the intake manifold and inspect. If it's not a wiring issue, then possibly the injector is failing intermittently. Pull the cylinder 6 injector and check the resistance with an ohm meter to see if it is within spec.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have a feeling it's the wiring harness. I know this is a bulletin, but I've had that manifold on and off so many times to replace the oil filter adapter housing, that maybe the wires got caught up somewhere under there.

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
2,865 Posts
The Pentastars all use the same injector/coil wire harness in-between the banks. The bulletin image above shows a Pentastar in a longitudinal, rear-drive position.
In a 200, the engine position is transverse & the 'rear of the left head' would be shifted to the left-side of the front head.

However if the past history of the car is unknown or the manifolds have been off before, it would be good to check all hidden wiring for proper routing & for damage.
Make sure that all connectors are fully seated & the retainer clips are latched. The injector connectors have a wire bailing clip. Make sure that it looks like the one shown & is fully on.
Head Font Rectangle Circle Oval

Light Product Font Automotive lighting Cylinder

Cable Electric blue Font Rectangle Electronics accessory

Circle Electric blue Art Natural material Magenta

Reactions: mikemaj82
1 - 6 of 6 Posts