Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had noticed that heat was being supplied to only half of my car. Thankfully the Drivers side. With the sub zero temps, I had enough so I took my car into my dealership. Turns out....This is a problem that Chrysler knows about....They put some extra stuff in with the coolant that takes care of any pinhole leaks...apparently all manufacturers do...problem is...whatever Chrysler used is clogging up the heater cores in the 200's. This is NOT a recall, but what the service manager just told me. I am going to be without my car now for an unknown period because the parts they are required to place according to Chrysler are on national backorder. What are the parts?? Heater Core and Radiator.

I had posted a while back asking if anyone had noticed any "gelling" up of their coolant as I had...Not sure if this is related or not to that. Regardless...I will be getting fresh coolant, a full flush of the engine and a new parts. Hopefully this permanently fixes the problem.

for those of you wondering obout my mentioned gelling...a tech had looked at it at my last oil change and said it looked fine...Even though you could see it looked milky and cloudy....

PLEASE CHECK YOUR COOLANT!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same issue with mine. I took it to the dealer back in December because I was getting a coolant smell through the heater. They said when they did a pressure test on the cooling system they heard a wierd noise at first. Then whatever was causing a blockage came loose and everything was fine. I drove the car for a few weeks then I started to get the smell again. My brother and I started to look at the cooling system and noticed sludge in the overflow reservoir. Took it back to the dealer, they replaced the heater core, radiator, overflow reservoir, and flushed the engine. Had the car back for a few weeks now and everything seems to be alright.
View attachment 1279 IMG_0449.jpg

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I'm surprised they replaced the core instead of flushing it first. Usually on something like that I would out a garden hose to the outlet side of the core and cranked it up.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heck I'm not going to complain....It's what Chrysler recommends to be done and I'll happily take the brand new parts. I should have my car back today. Dealership just called and said they got the parts in and were going to work on it. Only problem is now they cant get the key out of the ignition. HA.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Probably be taking my car back to the dealer. I am still getting a coolant smell. Also there is something rattling in the dash from when they removed my dash to replace the heater core. I am about ready to trade the **** thing in, it's been nothing but problems since day one.

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got an oil change and was advised that my coolant was gunking up on my 2013 200 with 6k miles. I took it to the dealership yesterday and they too are going to change out the radiator and heater core. He didn't explain why it was gunking up but did say that they called Chrysler and were advised to replace and not even try to flush.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have just taken my car in to get the heating core replaced. Over the summer I took my car to Mr Lube for an oil change. They said that there was a large amount of sludge in my coolant reservoir. I asked the dealership. They said it was normal. Apparently the sludge is the crap Chrysler puts in the coolant system to fix leaks. Well that crap plugs up the coolant system and blows up your heating core. So let’s take and inventory here. First they are aware of the problem but don’t fix it. Then they put **** in my coolant. Then they tell me caked up sludge in my coolant reservoir is "normal". Then I take it in to get it repaired (a day with my car), then I get a call saying that they ordered the wrong part. Another day with out my car.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
98 Posts
The STAR case from Chrysler advises the techs to replace the radiator, heater core and engine oil cooler for the sludging concern. last I checked the heater core was the part on national back order (PITA.) :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
As far as I'm aware, the sludge in the coolant is due to manufacturing chemicals (used by the manufacturer of the cooling system parts not Chrysler) not being cleaned out properly, mixing with the coolant and causing the sludge. No automobile manufacturer I know of uses stop-leak chemicals in a brand new vehicle. This is what we (the techs at our dealer) were told was the problem. We've had Jeep Wranglers, 200's and Avengers. The Star case I read the other day dealt with trucks, I believe. We were told the heater core, radiator and oil cooler have to be replaced, AND the system flushed as well. So that's what the guys lucky enough to draw these jobs do. In keeping a very close eye on mine. There seems to be no set time on when it will occur, either...we've had vehicles with less than 1k, and those with as many as 20k.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
268 Posts
... No automobile manufacturer I know of uses stop-leak chemicals in a brand new vehicle. ... There seems to be no set time on when it will occur, either ...
I was going to say it seemed unusual for a modern car to have such clog chemicals put in it.

No the 2014 should not be a problem. I have a 2013 and have no issues. Seems to be common in 2011 and 2012 models with the V6.
I've read of 2013 models having gelling issues.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I was going to say it seemed unusual for a modern car to have such clog chemicals put in it.

I've read of 2013 models having gelling issues.

I have a 2011 V6 with just under 75k miles and have not had the issue, thank God. Just giving another data point, it is an intermittent problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have a 2012 with 45000 on it and just had both the heater core and radiator replaced at N/C and no extended warranty prior had motor flushed wasted $100 bucks
friend has the same car with 20000 on it and no problem yet

1 - 20 of 110 Posts