Chrysler 200 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
11 and 12 was a bad year for the 3.6L, between head problems and sludging concerns... Chrysler had their hands full! I've seen no cylinder head issues on the 2013 3.6L's. Although early 2013's did still have the 2012 cylinder heads. I have seen 2013 vehicles with the 3.6 still with concerns of sludging. There are TSB's and STAR cases open for those vehicles. 2014 3.6's are having a new issue with the oil cooler/ oil filter housing which for some ungodly reason has started to leak and creates a puddle in the valley between the two head's. I would recommend to anyone who has purchased a new model 3.6L engine to get a flashlight and inspect the oil cooler for leaks!

Reactions: metalmom

·
Registered
593 Posts
Be aware that Chrysler changed the coolant specs between the 2012 and 2013 model years and the two coolants must not be intermixed or gelling will occur. I'm not saying that is the problem with any of the posts in this thread but just FYI.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My Wife's been driving the 200 lately. Went to dinner tonight and immediately noticed the coolant smell. I just roller over 6,000 miles. This ticks me off beyond belief. I know the dealer will take care of it but the dash will never be the same after they remove it. On top of that I have a Pioneer double din radio in it with tons of modules/wiring that i cant trust them to remove and put back properly so I will have to remove the radio myself before taking it in. Not cool. My first new car I've ever bought and they are going to tare it all apart. I hope they will have a loaner!

·
Registered
75 Posts
My Wife's been driving the 200 lately. Went to dinner tonight and immediately noticed the coolant smell. I just roller over 6,000 miles. This ticks me off beyond belief. I know the dealer will take care of it but the dash will never be the same after they remove it. On top of that I have a Pioneer double din radio in it with tons of modules/wiring that i cant trust them to remove and put back properly so I will have to remove the radio myself before taking it in. Not cool. My first new car I've ever bought and they are going to tare it all apart. I hope they will have a loaner!
Can you post a pic of your Coolant Reservoir? Just curious if you are getting any residue.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'll try to get pics Saturday.

Just got got off the phone with the dealer and they don't supply loaner vehicles unless you have a service contract. Wth. I buy a brand new vehicle from you and it has major coolant issues after 6,000 miles and you want me to pay extra for a service contract? This dealer has sucked from day 1. If you're in michigan, avoid AlDeeby Dodge.

·
Registered
875 Posts

Just got got off the phone with the dealer and they don't supply loaner vehicles unless you have a service contract. Wth. I buy a brand new vehicle from you and it has major coolant issues after 6,000 miles and you want me to pay extra for a service contract? This dealer has sucked from day 1. If you're in michigan, avoid AlDeeby Dodge.
Take the car to another dealer for the warranty work. Preferably a bigger dealer that has inventory to use for loaners. You could always contact Chrysler direct and pitch your case for a loaner.

·
Registered
322 Posts

Good ole' Al Deeby. When I was shopping I went on dealer reviews. This place has more negative reviews than Nixon right after the Watergate break ins!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Not sure if this will help any. I looked inside and the coolant still liquid. It did look like it has a layer of "oil" on top, not black oil but a shiny oil substance. The only thing I noticed was at the top near that black hose it looks like it might be built up/ gelled to make it stick to the container near the hose?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Mopar_man... May I ask where you would recommend? I'm looking at milosch, Al Serra (I've bought 2 used cars from them) or scottz in highland. Or any others you might recommend? Lol
[h=2]
[/h]
I found Friendly Chrysler in Lapeer to be fantastic. Their service department is first rate and the sales people are great.
I'm not too thrilled with Golling or Palace Chrysler either!

·
Registered
75 Posts
13LXV6 - Yours looks squeaky clean compared to mine.

Here's what mine looks like, guess I might have an issue, it kind of looks like scs' pictures :'( I haven't noticed any change in coolant levels.I should have wiped down the reservoir before taking the pics though, looks kind of dirty on the surface lol, too lazy to go back outside and re-take pics.

Should I get it looked at ASAP? (Going in for service in a few weeks)

Auto part Vehicle Car Automotive fuel system Fuel line

Auto part

·
Registered
268 Posts
@13LXV6, do you have a confirmed issue? I know pictures aren't as detailed as seeing it in person, but your tank appears normal.
Of course it could just be at the early stages... I don't know.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Nothing confirmed yet. Taking to dealer Wednesday. While it's reassuring that the tank looks good, I am getting a very distinct coolant smell through the heat vents in the car. I guess I shouldn't be as worried as I am. No check engine lights. Heck if the dang thing blows up it's under warranty they'll just replace the whole engine lol.

·
Registered
875 Posts
13LXV6 - Yours looks squeaky clean compared to mine.

Here's what mine looks like, guess I might have an issue, it kind of looks like scs' pictures :'( I haven't noticed any change in coolant levels.I should have wiped down the reservoir before taking the pics though, looks kind of dirty on the surface lol, too lazy to go back outside and re-take pics.

Should I get it looked at ASAP? (Going in for service in a few weeks)

View attachment 8521

View attachment 8529
This looks like the infamous sludged coolant to me. Get it in sooner than later....

·
Registered
12 Posts
FYI this doesn't only affect v6 cars. My 2012 touring is at the dealership right now having these repairs done and I have the 4cyl. Just turned 20,000 miles. My GF has the 2011 v6, 25,000 miles, no issues so far. Probably will happen to hers right when the warranty expires. I am sure they won't fix or do any preventative repairs even though this is a known issue. Had all the usual symptoms in mine, no heat out passenger side, heat never got hot, etc. I just hope they put everything back together nicely, I will be very mad if everything rattles after they reinstall the dash.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Dealer told me they couldn't find anything wrong yet. At least I now know to keep a close eye on my coolant reservoir.

I had the dealer activate the DRL's so at least I got something out of the trip lol.

21 - 40 of 120 Posts