Chrysler 200 Forum banner
81 - 100 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had my 2013 200 since December 2014. It currently has 52,000 miles on it. In the past 3 weeks I have had the same issue -- no heat on the passenger side...None. I was told today by the Chrysler dealer they -- and I quote -- "found heater core starting to be come restricted. Cooling system has build up in system. Found Star Case with similar description recommends replacing radiator, thermostats and heater core (11.0) $1925.00 plus tax." So tonight I google this and found this forum. My dealer gave me the number of Chrysler customer service and told me to call them that they might pay for this. They also said if there is a 'recall' to keep my receipts and they will reimbursement for these repairs. I got the feeling that the service people were well aware of this problem. From earlier posts here, it looks like its been a KNOWN problem by Chrysler and no public announcement concerning it. Would of been nice to learn this from the dealer that sold me the car (which is separate dealer in another city) instead of NOW looking at a 2000.00+ repair, plus the 2 days they said they need to fix it. Considering I just stuck almost 800.00 in the steering rack not 4 months ago, this is pretty devastating. ** 2.4L engine

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
I have had my 2013 200 since December 2014. It currently has 52,000 miles on it. In the past 3 weeks I have had the same issue -- no heat on the passenger side...None. I was told today by the Chrysler dealer they -- and I quote -- "found heater core starting to be come restricted. Cooling system has build up in system. Found Star Case with similar description recommends replacing radiator, thermostats and heater core (11.0) $1925.00 plus tax." So tonight I google this and found this forum. My dealer gave me the number of Chrysler customer service and told me to call them that they might pay for this. They also said if there is a 'recall' to keep my receipts and they will reimbursement for these repairs. I got the feeling that the service people were well aware of this problem. From earlier posts here, it looks like its been a KNOWN problem by Chrysler and no public announcement concerning it. Would of been nice to learn this from the dealer that sold me the car (which is separate dealer in another city) instead of NOW looking at a 2000.00+ repair, plus the 2 days they said they need to fix it. Considering I just stuck almost 800.00 in the steering rack not 4 months ago, this is pretty devastating. ** 2.4L engine
While it does appear to be an issue with these older model 200's, many different factors could have caused these issues. You noted your vehicle was purchased used. No way of knowing what the previous owner did in regards to maintenance to the cooling system. Was antifreeze mixed improperly ? That is the biggest question, and you have no way of knowing. For the 2013 model years, Chrysler switched to OAT antifreeze and that cannot be mixed with other types of coolants. The problems you are experiencing now seem to indicate that possibly has happened.
Here is some information on OAT antifreeze and why Chrysler switched in the 2013 vehicles. http://articles.sae.org/11284/

Good luck with your vehicle and sorry to have to sort out a very expensive problem.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I ran across a thread on Reddit concerning heater core replacement on the 1st gen 200 and the tech said it could be done by uncrimping the piping at the core, which makes getting the core out terrifically easier. He didn't have any pics but said the techs at his dealership could do the job in less than an hour. I don't know how he did the uncrimping/recrimping.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I ran across a thread on Reddit concerning heater core replacement on the 1st gen 200 and the tech said it could be done by uncrimping the piping at the core, which makes getting the core out terrifically easier. He didn't have any pics but said the techs at his dealership could do the job in less than an hour. I don't know how he did the uncrimping/recrimping.
By uncrimping do you mean straightening the bends in the piping?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't know exactly what they did. Here is a link to the post on Reddit. It's toward the bottom of the comments.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Justrolledintotheshop/comments/5oc2oj/****_heater_cores/
I understand now. The only concern for me personally with uncrimping/recrimping the hoses is that my initial problem with my heater core was major leakage. But it does sound like a much easier way to replace the unit. Interesting stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just got an oil change and was advised that my coolant was gunking up on my 2013 200 with 6k miles. I took it to the dealership yesterday and they too are going to change out the radiator and heater core. He didn't explain why it was gunking up but did say that they called Chrysler and were advised to replace and not even try to flush.
Did you also experience an engine overheating problem due to the jelled coolant / plugged core & radiator?

·
Registered
1 Posts
so you Mopar gear heads out there, by flushing the system will that fix the issue?? My 200 is doing the same thing and Warranty wont cover the cost. The service writer told me that is a ongoing problem and Chrysler is aware of it.??? Please help

·
Registered
100 Posts
My AC went out completely recently and was just barely getting heat. Got the coolant flushed and new coolant & thermostat put in. Heat works great now, will check AC when it gets warmer. For anyone in Metro Detroit, Four Seasons Radiator on 14 Mile and John R did a great job and it only ran me $200 for the flush and thermostat. Suffice it to say I am very happy I didn't need a new heater core. 2011 V6 w/ 110,000 miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Chrysler 200, model year 2011. I am having problems with the heating system. The driver's side blows hot air, but the driver' side blows cold air. The posts that I have seen indicate that the heater core is probably the problem. It is either leaking or clogged. Does anyone know what the warranty period is on heater cores in a Chrysler 200?
SJM

·
Registered
589 Posts
I don't think you have any warranty with a 2011 car. It's an expensive job. I'd try to find a way to live with the problem. Finding an independent shop to attempt flushing the heater core would be worth a try.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 200 limited 2012 has heater problems from 2014 on they have replaced the radiator heater coil thermostat in 2014 with 19000 miles. Now at 72000 miles the same problem I even purchased the extend warranty from the dealer and they want help so people beware of the dealers extended warranty. Its costing me now over a 1000 dollars to replace the heater coil again. This should be a recall on this car but I am sure it want happen so I suggest stay away from Chrysler products my next car will not be a Chrysler that is for sure

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem with heater core being replaced at 19000 miles and now at 73000 called the national safety line for vehicles everyone needs to do that and report this for Chrysler knows of this defect and design flaw and want do any thing about it number is 888-327-4236. If enough report this problem they could make them have a recall cause it is a safety issue when you can't defrost the passengers side glass to see out.

·
Premium Member
2,622 Posts
I am assuming that the dealer won't help?

Who fixed it the first time? Did they use the correct coolant? If they didn't or you don't when you fix it, the problem will happen again.

What is covered under the extended warranty you have? Is it a third party extended warranty or one from Chrysler?

Sorry for what happened to your. It's never fun dealing with an expensive investment when it breaks.

This forum represents a small minority of owners, most of whom joined because they had a problem or question about their vehicle, the rest of them are probably just enthusiasts looking for modifications, performance or otherwise - so the actual number of people with this problem might be smaller than you think.

Buyer beware, everyone should read an extended warranty (service contract) very carefully before signing the dotted line - that or save up $$ for after the factory warranty expires and don't sign an extended service contract if there is confusion on the things covered/what could fail.

·
Registered
3 Posts
And I now have this issue of only driver side heating in a 2013 Chrysler 200 that I bought new in June 2013. The car has 80,000 miles on it because work is a 110 mile trip down the highway. So far the local dealer has had it in the shop 3 times and has not fixed. Yesterday they simply failed to work on it at all, citing at 4pm that the technician left work early. They had it since 8am. They suspect heater core. Two weeks ago they fixed the "actuator door with a clicking noise on the passenger side" problem, saying that was the heating issue. Then I drove it in 4 degrees and no that wasn't it. Going to try to attach photo of recovery tank but I see a yellowish color on top and pinkish-red fluid in bottom. Can anyone let me know if this sounds like the coolant problem.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I'm not a technician but that coolant looks messed up. My 2012 with 60k miles doesn't have that appearance. I found a post on Reddit from a few days ago where a person cut open a clogged heater core after removing it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Justrolled.../so_chrysler_200_heater_cores_kinda_suck_huh/

You can see why flushing it is hard because some of the internal tubing remains open while the rest is clogged. The flushing action just flows through the part that isn't stopped up and bypasses the clog.

If I were in your situation I would attempt a flush but not get my hopes up. Probably going to need a heater core replacement and a total coolant flush and replacement.

Another reddit post from a year ago claimed that it was possible to replace the heater core without removing the dash. It is not authorized by Chrysler and involved uncrimping the metal where the coolant pipes attach to core. With the pipe disconnected from the core there is supposedly room enough to get the core out of the HVAC box. Then the tech recreates the crimped connection once the new core is in place. Don't know if this really works but the guy claimed they could do a 200 heater core replacement in about an hour.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have read here and elsewhere that the OAT coolant in a 2012 is not the same even as the OAT in 2013. I have the 200 S, but I think it is all 2013 models anyway. What concerns me with this dealer is that they were asked when they fixed the stuck door 3 weeks ago to check the coolant level. It was temps below 10 here, car not heating well, I asked them to check and they said it was good. They didn't notice the condition of the coolant? I am glad they failed to replace the heater core now after having the car an entire day because if the coolant is messed up it will ruin the new core too. Do I really have to tell a Chrsyler tech to LOOK under the hood at the coolant? I do take the car to a quick oil change place and provide my own oil and filter every time. I called them the other day and asked if they are in the habit of topping off coolant when I come in without telling me. Answer -- yes, if it was before last Nov. because now we have to charge for that and ask. I was there in October. I know I'll never prove it, but I suspect they messed up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own a 2013 3.6S and bought used from a Chrysler dodge dealer in 2015 with 34K as it was leased prior. Noticed the heat to be a little weak but carried on. The following winter Jan 2016 brought it back to dealer to rectify. They claimed my after market “warranty solutions” wouldn’t cover a new heater core but they ran coolant and back flushes that cost me around $400. Heat worked a bit better. Carried on. Brought car to a different Chrysler dodge dealer 2 winters later in Maine, today, to have the same response that my warranty would not cover anything and as for same reason of “contaminated fluent”. Called Chrysler to state my frustration that when I brought it in at 60k the first time, I should NOT have had to worry about replacing heater core and parts and that a $400 flush service was rediculous and I am not dealing a waste of money and time flush treatment. And it’s really Fu**ing cold in Maine right now! The lady said she’d pass it up the chain and I’ll get a call in a few days to be told if they’ll help me or not with $2,085 parts and labor..! And sounds about that same as most of your where as the heat on drivers side vent is working but each vent over to the passenger side blow colder and colder and colder air.

81 - 100 of 120 Posts