Chrysler 200 Forum banner

101 - 110 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
I'm not a technician but that coolant looks messed up. My 2012 with 60k miles doesn't have that appearance. I found a post on Reddit from a few days ago where a person cut open a clogged heater core after removing it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Justrolledintotheshop/comments/7s8mn3/so_chrysler_200_heater_cores_kinda_suck_huh/

You can see why flushing it is hard because some of the internal tubing remains open while the rest is clogged. The flushing action just flows through the part that isn't stopped up and bypasses the clog.

If I were in your situation I would attempt a flush but not get my hopes up. Probably going to need a heater core replacement and a total coolant flush and replacement.

Another reddit post from a year ago claimed that it was possible to replace the heater core without removing the dash. It is not authorized by Chrysler and involved uncrimping the metal where the coolant pipes attach to core. With the pipe disconnected from the core there is supposedly room enough to get the core out of the HVAC box. Then the tech recreates the crimped connection once the new core is in place. Don't know if this really works but the guy claimed they could do a 200 heater core replacement in about an hour.
Here is the pic from your link ...
Heater Core.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Chrysler “customer service” denied any assistance whatsoever with my car. Due to the miles being outside of the warranty. Current mileage when purchased Jan 2015 roughly 34k (salesman said it was normal to not heat up as much on passenger side). Following year Feb 2016 60k miles (same dealer did flushes around $400, ppwk says May still need heater core). Feb 2018 113k miles I refused to pay 2k replacing parts and labor, different Chrysler dealer. Customer service dept says I should have called sooner and I replied I guess I learned my lesson to never by a Chrysler again, didn’t know I had to call Chrysler brand for assistance over the word of their salespeople and dealer management. They also claim if this was a big problem they’d have had a recall on these parts, I disagreed being that failure to have heat in the car, or engine overheating isn’t necessarily something that’s going to cause accidents where then they’d be forced to have recalls on the issue. So good luck fellow 200 owners, if you haven’t put too many miles on I’d say call and ask for help. If you’re in my position maybe still call and seek different answers?

·
Super Moderator
2,480 Posts
Maybe try a different dealer? I had a coolant issue with my first 200, a 2013 V6 Touring with the S appearance package before and after it was out of the basic 3 year 36K. The second issue I contacted Chrysler directly - actually it was "Chrysler Cares" from here - for when it failed out of warranty, but was not at 40K miles yet, and she stated it was up to the dealer to do a "goodwill" fix since I had brought it in for a similar/same issue before it went out of warranty. She contacted a local dealer for me and parts were replaced everything free of charge.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I read about an unusual method of heater core flushing that might work. The idea is to connect the 2 heater core lines to a small pump and then run both lines into a bucket filled with radiator flush chemical. Leave the pump running for several hours. Maybe even switch the direction of flow a couple of times.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Here is a pic of my heater core. The place said they have never "ever" seen anything like this. I went in knowing exactly what was going on with a simple online search and the fact that FCA refuses to do anything is a joke. I opened a case with them and naturally they denied any help.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,480 Posts
Here is a pic of my heater core. The place said they have never "ever" seen anything like this. I went in knowing exactly what was going on with a simple online search and the fact that FCA refuses to do anything is a joke. I opened a case with them and naturally they denied any help.
Did you buy the car new? If not, there is a chance someone mixed the wrong coolant in... ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Coolant confusion

After experiencing the "passenger side no heat". Went to a shop to have the coolant and heater core flushed. Idiots flushed the heater core only, and topped up the coolant with their "Global" coolant. Frustrated, I went to the dealer for a coolant flush and fill. Service guy said switching to purple was ok because it was backwards compatible. However, when I went to pick it up, they said "Oh no, we can't put 10 year in a 5 year" I wonder if that's because their idea of a flush and fill is only a partial flush, leaving remnants of the HOAT behind? What they added was part #OVU01524-AC. This is the only listing I can find for 5 year coolant. Service lady said it's OAT, but I said, it better not be! Should I dump it all and start over?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I never put anything but water in my 13' and it still plugged up. Very frustrating. I brought my own coolant when my heater core was replaced and the dealer said that they were required to use "their" coolant and refused to use it. I plan on draining the dealer's coolant and using my own so I can keep track of what is in it. I ran prestone radiator flush in my system before my heater core was replaced and it had no effect on the crap that was in there. I am pretty sure my radiator looks the same inside as the heater core.

On a side note, my 18 yr old Durango still has the original green glycol antifreeze in it. The heater core in it gets so hot you can cook meat. Never performed any maintenance on it ever. That is three times as long as the stuff that Chrysler uses which is "rated" for 150,000 miles. So I've been a heavy duty mechanic for a long time and seen the switch over from the old glycol to extended life. The extended life they use in trucks never had the gelling problem that DEX Cool had in GM or the gelling problem that Chrysler has now. I think the change in trucks was a good thing but they have piston liners and don't have aluminum heads and blocks. Trucks travel all over the country and constantly get topped off with numerous different brands of coolant daily and never gel up. Whatever they are putting in cars is complete crap. IMHO

The reason there are suds in the photo is because the flush had some soap in it.

Attachments

101 - 110 of 110 Posts