Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I bought my 200 last April and so far I've driven 25,000km (15,000 Miles). Recently, I've noticed that the car jerks while changing gears between 40km and 50kmh (30 and 25 mph), when I'm accelerating or decelerating. I took it to my local dealer and they test drove it and told me this is because someone else drove my car, and the gear is relearning your driving patterns (My wife drove it once or twice with me in the car). They informed it would go away after driving it for a while. I drove it for another 2,000 km but the problem is still there.

Any idea why might cause it? I cannot explain in words what it does, but when it changes gears at it pushes the car pushes itself forward then the gear kicks in and grabs it, plus it sounds like a bang.

If anyone can point me in the direction of the solution, I might be able to let the local mechanic look at it!

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hello,

It sounds like your transmission is changing from 4th to 5th gear. Unfortunately, I have this same issue as well. Mine has been in the shop several times for this. Ultimately, after multiple reflashes/relearns, valve bodies, and a transmission replacement, I still have the same problem. I hate to say, but I'm not sure there is much that can be fixed. Thankfully mine generally only does it when the trans temp gets to 165. I believe I read somewhere that suggesting (and paying out of pocket) for a PROXI alignment may help, however I have not attempted this. Great car otherwise!

Good luck!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yeah it sounds kike gears 4 to 5. Mines does that. I bought mines in June of this year. Mine is a 200c. I can feel the shift but it isnt anything like major. I have learned to live with it.

Hello,

I bought my 200 last April and so far I've driven 25,000km (15,000 Miles). Recently, I've noticed that the car jerks while changing gears between 40km and 50kmh (30 and 25 mph), when I'm accelerating or decelerating. I took it to my local dealer and they test drove it and told me this is because someone else drove my car, and the gear is relearning your driving patterns (My wife drove it once or twice with me in the car). They informed it would go away after driving it for a while. I drove it for another 2,000 km but the problem is still there.

Any idea why might cause it? I cannot explain in words what it does, but when it changes gears at it pushes the car pushes itself forward then the gear kicks in and grabs it, plus it sounds like a bang.

If anyone can point me in the direction of the solution, I might be able to let the local mechanic look at it!

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes it is definetely a transmission issue. You need to get the bands rebuilt on the transmission. Cost is about 2k. They put 2 italians on my car from Fiat, they were there for some reason but the transmisison has lasted another 50,000 but still has issues and still had them after I got it back. They replaced the original torque converter and dialed it down a bit because there was a crapload of oversteer from the car. The trans on these cars isnt good enough for constantly flooring the car and this is what causes the issue with the transmission.

·
Super Moderator
1,734 Posts
Yes it is definetely a transmission issue. You need to get the bands rebuilt on the transmission. Cost is about 2k. They put 2 italians on my car from Fiat, they were there for some reason but the transmisison has lasted another 50,000 but still has issues and still had them after I got it back. They replaced the original torque converter and dialed it down a bit because there was a crapload of oversteer from the car. The trans on these cars isnt good enough for constantly flooring the car and this is what causes the issue with the transmission.
Sorry, your post doesn't make one bit of sense.
The ZF 9 speed doesn't have "bands".
The ZF 9 speed is a German design and either built in Germany, or the US under license from ZF. ( No Italian mechanical's )
Torque converters don't have anything to do with oversteer, nor are they adjustable.

Whoever sold you any of those lines is a real artist at slinging the bull.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I agree w fltru103 on that last reply(???) The 4-5 shift bang is something we have too live with. Mine does it ocassionaly, seems when I'm light on the throttle or going downhill mostly. The zf is a good trans.

·
Registered
10 Posts
These transactions are from ZF, and gear 5 and I believe 8 (I could be wrong on the 8 though) are made different, and actually mesh together differently than is normal. Mine doesn't seem to have any of the jerki or hard shiftung into 5 like many do. Only abnormality seems to be a hard 1-2 shift when the car isn't warmed up yet. Wikapedia has a good bit of information on what makes these different and some of the problems that have been experienced by owners. 75k miles on our my15 200s 4cyl

·
Registered
15 Posts
2016-3.6- 18,900 on the od. I’ve only experienced ANY hard shifting when transmission is cold. I’ve figured out how to compensate for that first cold hard shift by learning when it’s gonna (attempt) to go from 1 to 2 , at the last second before it try’s to go into 2 I just push a bit farther on gas and it actually goes in pretty good! If I miss that opportune timing then it’ll shift hard 1-2,2-3,3-4....until the trans warms up beyond 75*. Other than that lil Transmission hiccup. This frikken car has been a helluva fun azzed car to run it! Sport Mode is Fun whether you use the Paddles or not. Just matters how ya feather the pedal. Lovin the (g) forces of being pushed back into my seat when (runnin it) Speeds are easy to go excessive when ya feel that energy from this lil car! It’s just FUN! LOL

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello every, I own a 2015 200c with 40,500 miles on it. Has anyone been experiencing issues with there car jerking in 7th gear every 3 to 4 seconds? Is the transmission covered under the powertrain warranty? The first time I experienced this was about two months ago. The problem seemed to go away after restarting the engine, which would have been the next day for me because I was heading home during this first incident. Today is the second time I've experienced this very same issue in the exact same gear. If I'm accelerating or decelerating in 7th gear then the car won't jerk, but if I just maintaining a constant speed then it will jerk every 3 to 4 seconds. If I shift to 6th or 8th then the jerking seems to stop as well. As soon as I allow the transmission to return to 7th gear then it will start jerking every 3 to 4 seconds. My transmission usually runs at about 149F but today I noticed it averaging about 154F while driving and 165F while sitting idle.

My rough shifting use to be between 2nd and 3rd gear but every since they reprogrammed my TCM, my rough shifting happens between 4th and 5th. I've learn how to avoid the rough shifting between 4th to 5th gear by feathering the gas pedal right before the transmission wants to shift from 4th to 5th gear.

·
Super Moderator
2,403 Posts
Hello every, I own a 2015 200c with 40,500 miles on it. Has anyone been experiencing issues with there car jerking in 7th gear every 3 to 4 seconds? Is the transmission covered under the powertrain warranty?
I have not. Your transmission is covered for 5 years 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hello every, I own a 2015 200c with 40,500 miles on it. Has anyone been experiencing issues with there car jerking in 7th gear every 3 to 4 seconds? Is the transmission covered under the powertrain warranty? The first time I experienced this was about two months ago. The problem seemed to go away after restarting the engine, which would have been the next day for me because I was heading home during this first incident. Today is the second time I've experienced this very same issue in the exact same gear. If I'm accelerating or decelerating in 7th gear then the car won't jerk, but if I just maintaining a constant speed then it will jerk every 3 to 4 seconds. If I shift to 6th or 8th then the jerking seems to stop as well. As soon as I allow the transmission to return to 7th gear then it will start jerking every 3 to 4 seconds. My transmission usually runs at about 149F but today I noticed it averaging about 154F while driving and 165F while sitting idle.

My rough shifting use to be between 2nd and 3rd gear but every since they reprogrammed my TCM, my rough shifting happens between 4th and 5th. I've learn how to avoid the rough shifting between 4th to 5th gear by feathering the gas pedal right before the transmission wants to shift from 4th to 5th gear.
Hi - I'll occasionally get the "jerking" you're feeling in 7th gear, which I believe is the transmission going into adaptation learn mode. I can't speak to why it does this. My TCM hasn't been reprogrammed for nearly 20,000 miles and it still does it occasionally. It was worse 20,000 miles ago though.

Here's how the transmission is put into this mode:

"Accelerate the vehicle moderately to 7th gear, drive at a constant speed between 50-60 mph. The learn process may produce small, regular torque pulsations. This is normal, and indicates the learn process is working."

Page 58 of this article speaks to it -https://atracom.blob.core.windows.net/webinars/chrysler/948te_introduction.pdf

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi - I'll occasionally get the "jerking" you're feeling in 7th gear, which I believe is the transmission going into adaptation learn mode. I can't speak to why it does this. My TCM hasn't been reprogrammed for nearly 20,000 miles and it still does it occasionally. It was worse 20,000 miles ago though.

Here's how the transmission is put into this mode:

"Accelerate the vehicle moderately to 7th gear, drive at a constant speed between 50-60 mph. The learn process may produce small, regular torque pulsations. This is normal, and indicates the learn process is working."

Hope this helps!
Thanks for this useful information, the jerking sensation in 7th gear has only happened twice in the past 3 months. As of this morning, it has gone away. Is getting the TCM reprogrammed covered under the powertrain warranty?

·
Super Moderator
2,403 Posts
Thanks for this useful information, the jerking sensation in 7th gear has only happened twice in the past 3 months. As of this morning, it has gone away. Is getting the TCM reprogrammed covered under the powertrain warranty?
The TCM itself and programming are covered under the 5 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
10 Participants
Black Knight
Chrysler 200 Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Chrysler 200 owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about reviews, maintenance, upgrades, and more!
Full Forum Listing