Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 crystler 200 I installed some led headlights I thought they were 60w but they were 120w so I installed anyway. After installing them I test drove and noticed that the left headlight no longer has a beam to it l. Seems to be out of focus so I removed the leds and reinstalled the old bulbs and got the same results. So I though that I messed something up in the headlight assembly because the leds got extremely hot. After replacing the headlight assembly I still have the same issue. What Is could be the issue?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,069 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Do the bulbs turn and lock securely into the headlamp housing OK? Do they run hot enough to melt plastic? You may want to remove the lamp assemblies for a good visual inspection.
If they draw twice the current of what the circuit was designed for, I would not use them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took the led's out and reinstalled the factory headlight bulbs. I have also installed a new headlight assembly and have the same results.

·
Super Moderator
1,069 Posts
Something is wrong here. The original factory lamps are halogen bulbs and are they tightly seated into the headlamp assemblies?
They are matching manufacturer brand and lamp type? They must match.

The headlamp assembly is a matching used one or an aftermarket one?
I've seen some differences in aftermarket headlamp assemblies compared to OEM. Some cheaper aftermarket ones may advertise themselves as OEM, but are not.
It is best to replace them in pairs for the same beam pattern.
When you shine them on a wall is when you notice the difference? Are the beam heights and/or shapes equal?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The oe that was in it and the aftermarket one has the same beam its like oblong and is all out if focus. I will try to get a picture tonight

·
Registered
71 Posts
Might it be possible the bulbs were not installed properly? I refer to this article.

·
Super Moderator
1,069 Posts
Are these Halogen 9012 bulbs from the same manufacturer and were replaced at the same time?
Brand and age differences can make a lamp beam pattern and brightness (color temperature) vary.

If these are HID D3S lamps, the beam can have a 'hockey stick' shape (it's normal), not a flattened spot like conventional headlamps. The HID headlamp assemblies have an internal 'shutter' to give low beams or high beams. The bulb light output doesn't change.
I have seen where a shutter will stick on one side and cause a beam mismatch or variation.

It can only be a bulb, a headlamp assembly or a headlamp alignment issue. Left and right side lamps must match brands (OEM recommended) for both bulbs and lamp assemblies.
Is it possible that the 120 watt bulb may have damaged the lamp driver or wiring on one side?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are these Halogen 9012 bulbs from the same manufacturer and were replaced at the same time?
Brand and age differences can make a lamp beam pattern and brightness (color temperature) vary.

If these are HID D3S lamps, the beam can have a 'hockey stick' shape (it's normal), not a flattened spot like conventional headlamps. The HID headlamp assemblies have an internal 'shutter' to give low beams or high beams. The bulb light output doesn't change.
I have seen where a shutter will stick on one side and cause a beam mismatch or variation.

It can only be a bulb, a headlamp assembly or a headlamp alignment issue. Left and right side lamps must match brands (OEM recommended) for both bulbs and lamp assemblies.
Is it possible that the 120 watt bulb may have damaged the lamp driver or wiring on one side?
New headlight bulbs in the old and new headlight assembly. I'm with you maybe wiring or headlight driver. Where is the driver at? Also H11 bulbs

·
Super Moderator
1,069 Posts
Why H11? This may be the problem.

From the candlepowerforums.com website:
"HIR2 (9012) and H11 are not physically or optically compatible. There is no adaptor that will change this -- even if you adapt the electrical socket, there is no way to fit an HIR2 bulb into a headlamp designed to take an H11 bulb."

The headlamps are driven by the BCM.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why H11? This may be the problem.

From the candlepowerforums.com website:
"HIR2 (9012) and H11 are not physically or optically compatible. There is no adaptor that will change this -- even if you adapt the electrical socket, there is no way to fit an HIR2 bulb into a headlamp designed to take an H11 bulb."

The headlamps are driven by the BCM.
That's what it had in it and the local auto parts store said that's what it takes. They plugged right in

·
Super Moderator
1,069 Posts
Those are not the correct bulbs. The car should have come with HIR2/9012 (Halogen-InfraRed) lamps as original equipment.
They cost more because of the envelope coating, but have better light output.

From the service manual:
Headlamps - 200 LX, Limited, S, and 200C models are equipped with halogen 76-millimeter projector beam headlamps for outstanding forward- and spread-light performance. When equipped with a bi-functional (high/low beam capability in a single lamp) high-intensity discharge (HID) xenon lighting system (optional on 200S and 200C) the 70-millimeter projector beams are incorporated, increase spread light by 5-percent and delivers an improvement in forward lighting.An electric motor and mechanism internal to the HID lamp unit closes a shutter for low beams and opens the shutter for high beams. The HID front lamp units each include an electronic ballast module, while an Automatic Headlamp Leveling Module (AHLM) that serves both front lamp units levelling motor. Both headlamp systems also include an adjustable reflector and clear lens integral to each front lamp unit. Halogen infrared bulbs (HIR) are standard-equipped on all models. The bulbs incorporate a special coating that makes them burn hotter within the bulb chamber, and in turn, provides wider spread light and higher output than traditional halogen bulbs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea but still doesn't explain why this started after I installed the led bulbs and a new housing and only on left side. I've switched bulbs from side to side also still same result. I thing the wiring is messed up looks like the shutter is half way open or closed.

·
Super Moderator
1,069 Posts
I can only suggest replacing the bad side with the same brand headlamp assembly as the good side.
If it is an internal headlamp assembly 'beam focus' issue, I don't think that it can be opened up and serviced.
If you look closely at them you may see where the difference between sides is.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I can only suggest replacing the bad side with the same brand headlamp assembly as the good side.
If it is an internal headlamp assembly 'beam focus' issue, I don't think that it can be opened up and serviced.
If you look closely at them you may see where the difference between sides is.
Replaced the assembly already. Same results

·
Super Moderator
1,069 Posts
Do you have within 1 volt of battery (+) voltage at the Lt and Rt lamps?
Is the ground side-to-battery (-) voltage drop 0.3 volts or less?
The lamp below is running on 11.7 volts. With a 12 volt supply, the circuit still passes the test.
The loss (voltage drop) is 0.3 volts, still within acceptable limits.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts