Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just upgraded my headlights to LED. However, the stock bulbs I pulled out are 9005... not the 9012 as listed in every publication. Why is this? Will this cause a problem when trying to purchase another kit? The 9012 aftermarket halogen bulb I purchased would not fit at all! I decided to use a 9005 LED kit. The bulbs for, but they are now giving me CANBus errors. I want to try something else, but am.unsure if I should stick with 9005 or try the 9012. Any/all help would be greatly appreciated !

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Look carefully, it must be 9006, not 9005. 9006 and 9012 are pretty much the same. You shouldn't go against what has been recommended on this forum. Many members made a lot of testing back in early 2015 and what has been listed on that board is pretty much what will work. Do you have a 2015-2016 car?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Look carefully, it must be 9006, not 9005. 9006 and 9012 are pretty much the same. You shouldn't go against what has been recommended on this forum. Many members made a lot of testing back in early 2015 and what has been listed on that board is pretty much what will work. Do you have a 2015-2016 car?
Nope... its 9005... both bulbs! I have a 2016 200s

Sent from my ASUS ZenFone 2 Laser using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
I been seeing all types of bulbs used. Someone the other day on fb had the 9005 in their 2016 also. 9006 will fit in a 9012 socket and 9012 will go in a 9006 socket once trimmed. The 9012 burns hotter so the tab is made larger so it won't fit cars not designed for it for safety but many mod them.I don't know what my 2015 has in it yet. There is a big diffrence in brightness, each 9006 bulb is 1000 lumens and the 9012 is 1875 lumens so I hope mine takes the 9012 and factory installed 9006 being cheap, the bulbs in my car are terrible for driving at night in the country.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I been seeing all types of bulbs used. Someone the other day on fb had the 9005 in their 2016 also. 9006 will fit in a 9012 socket and 9012 will go in a 9006 socket once trimmed. The 9012 burns hotter so the tab is made larger so it won't fit cars not designed for it for safety but many mod them.I don't know what my 2015 has in it yet. There is a big diffrence in brightness, each 9006 bulb is 1000 lumens and the 9012 is 1875 lumens so I hope mine takes the 9012 and factory installed 9006 being cheap, the bulbs in my car are terrible for driving at night in the country.
Well... thanks for at least letting me know I'm not going completely crazy!

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is the picture they shared out of a 2016 s .some have had 9005 and 9011 used, for some reason there is no consistency from chrysler, maybe what is cheapest at the time. Could be to make factory lighting upgrade seem better too. So far I haven't seen any 9012 bulbs put in socket or taken out. I am hoping our lights are truly designed for the 9012 because that's what I plan to do.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The owners manual for 2015 says 9012, for the 2016 it says 9005 hl+. I don't know what an hl+ bulb is I been trying to Google but haven't found specs on it.
Yup... that's the bulb! Seeing that you've obviously pulled out bulbs from your ride, I'm wondering if you might have an answer to another lighting issue I'm now experiencing. Just installed Phillips H11 LED bulbs... replacing the stock halogen fog lights. However, the passenger side bulb stays on for 2-3 seconds and then shuts off. The driver side has had no issues. I returned the bulb to the retailer, believing it was faulty. Of course, the new one I installed does the exact same thing. Do you (or anyone else reading this) have any ideas as to what I can do to remedy this???

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Yup... that's the bulb! Seeing that you've obviously pulled out bulbs from your ride, I'm wondering if you might have an answer to another lighting issue I'm now experiencing. Just installed Phillips H11 LED bulbs... replacing the stock halogen fog lights. However, the passenger side bulb stays on for 2-3 seconds and then shuts off. The driver side has had no issues. I returned the bulb to the retailer, believing it was faulty. Of course, the new one I installed does the exact same thing. Do you (or anyone else reading this) have any ideas as to what I can do to remedy this???

Well, it sure looks like a CanBus issue. From what I see, the lights used on the 2016s are different than on the 2015 so all the work we did 18 months ago trying to understand how the lighting system of this car is working needs to be done again. Unfortunately, us with 2015 are of no help at this time. try working with TRS or XenonDepot, they were really helpful in solving this issue for the 2015.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i just installed the led headlight conversion kit , drivers side turns off after 5-10 seconds, passenger side stays on . anyone else have same problem? know what it is. 2015 limited.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Which kit did you install?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just ordered the LED kit for both headlights and fogs from xenonhids.com..I ordered the specific kits recommended by vehicle which are 9005 high n low and H11 and also got the warning cancellers/capacitors for each thats recommended being its 2010+ newer..

·
Registered
659 Posts
I just ordered the LED kit for both headlights and fogs from xenonhids.com..I ordered the specific kits recommended by vehicle which are 9005 high n low and H11 and also got the warning cancellers/capacitors for each thats recommended being its 2010+ newer..
Got my LED's from the same place, mine were 9012 with cancellers, got H11 with cancellers too, but it doesn't need it for fog lights, when I was down there I disconnected one fog light and turned on the car and it didn't show the bulb out message, I think we only need the cancellers for the main headlights.
BTW: anyone hesistant replacing stock halogen bulbs with LED's, just do it, best mod ever, way brighter and white.

Tip: need to drill a one inch hole in the dust cover to run the cancellers wiring through.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If it makes you feel better I have a 2015 Chrysler 200 Limited and mine has a 9005 in the driver side headlight and a 9012 in the passenger side headlight.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts