Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Chrysler 200 limited. How do I change the headlight bulb? Are would it be best to have the bulb changed professionally?

·
Registered
179 Posts
You're under the 2015-2016 section for posting, so this may get moved.
For the 2011-2014, you have to access the bulb through the fenderwell. Jack up the car, take the wheel off, unbolt the three screws that hold the liner to the fender, and pry/pull the plastic button fasteners out. Remove the liner. Then reach up to the plastic cylindrical container that the bulb is in. Rotate the rear cap CCW and lift it out of the way. Grab the base of the bulb socket and rotate CCW, then pull straight back. Then unplug the bulb. (Don't unplug before removing the bulb, I did that on one side and broke off the latch clip.) Do not touch the new bulb with bare skin, as skin oils reduce the life of the bulb. Use gloves or kleenex to handle it. Plug the new bulb in, then insert and rotate CW to seat the new bulb. Reinstall the rear cap, which is not easy. You have to compress it against the O-ring in the headlight cylinder to get all 4 tabs to engage, and turn CW. Reinstall the fender liner, reinstall tire and done. Takes over an hour the first time, but I was determined NOT to pay a pro $100+ in labor to change a bulb.
Also, be careful when buying a new bulb. The bulb number is HIR2, which is a 9012 equivalent. Depending on the brand or brightness style that you buy, some won't fit in the headlight cylinder. The ones that have a metal cylindrical tower in the bulb will fit, the ones that have a rectangular metal base WILL NOT FIT. I found that out and had to return it. Philips and Osram were the OEM brands. I had the most trouble matching the bulb with Sylvania.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts