Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headlights won't turn on, no high beams. The parking lights and the led strip light works, that sounds like a fuse problem. But obviously there is no fuse for headlights on this car. Please help.

·
Registered
2016 Chrysler 200s 2.4L
116 Posts
Because this forum does not require the year and sub model of the car you own/repair we have no idea what car you are driving... There are differences between the years in circuitry...

2015~2017 200
The headlights are controlled by the TIPM (Total Integrated Power Module) but still should have fuses to protect the TIPM from shorted lights or wires... This car also monitors the amount of current the headlight bulbs (9005) draw when the bulbs are good/OK... If a bulb goes bad (opens) the current drops and the TIPM sends a warning to the speedometer cluster and "may" also shut off the offending headlight...

On my 2016 200s I installed LED bulb replacements and after a couple of months the car will light the driver LED for a few minutes and then extinguish it... I guess I'll have to add a couple of load resistors (6ohm 50w) across the headlight circuits to make the TIPM happy... I don't think the headlights have external relays for the headlights and probably control them from internal solid state relays in the TIPM... I would suggest looking for them though as I may be wrong...

I have also read somewhere there is a "slave" headlight module controlled by via the BCM to the TIPM to this module... I also may be wrong here... It's a whole new world out there as almost everything is controlled "by wire" meaning that everything has a computer in control... The cost of old wire runs to everything has pushed car manufactures to run a high current wire to a location (trunk/dash/headlights/etc...) and then a network (CANBUS) line to a controller that uses some of the current to control the remote devices (tail lights/turn signals/brake lights/rear wiper/etc) instead of multiple wires...

The biggest problem is that these cars are becoming near impossible to diagnose/repair for the driveway mechanic... and modifying the "software" to allow for changes to your liking has been disabled by the car makers...

I'm working hard to understand the new ways things are controlled by the TIPM/CANBUS (B,C,I)...
You are pretty much stuck with the radio/electronics and any additional changes you are forced to go to a FCA dealership...
Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
When I went to the dealership because both low and high beams went out at the same time on 2012 Chrysler 200 I was told I'd have to first purchase both headlight kits @ $250 a piece plus labor to install before they would work on my car reason was if they fixed the wiring wouldn't know if solution if didn't have new headlights. What?????? I asked if could get one for them to use and if mine weren't faulty could I return it was told would owe restocking fee. Decided to just get an oil change since there. Another mechanic took apart steering column because he had found the problem to be there in other 200's well, it didn't fix mine. I'm pretty much resigned to just having a 'daytime car' and in MIchigan that's about 8 hours a day in the winter. I fear it's the TIPM, thanks FCA for having a unit that has to be replaced every time one function fails.

·
Super Moderator
1,963 Posts
When I went to the dealership because both low and high beams went out at the same time on 2012 Chrysler 200 I was told I'd have to first purchase both headlight kits @ $250 a piece plus labor to install before they would work on my car reason was if they fixed the wiring wouldn't know if solution if didn't have new headlights. What?????? I asked if could get one for them to use and if mine weren't faulty could I return it was told would owe restocking fee. Decided to just get an oil change since there. Another mechanic took apart steering column because he had found the problem to be there in other 200's well, it didn't fix mine. I'm pretty much resigned to just having a 'daytime car' and in MIchigan that's about 8 hours a day in the winter. I fear it's the TIPM, thanks FCA for having a unit that has to be replaced every time one function fails.
You need to try another dealer, or a good certified mechanic.

·
Registered
279 Posts
The way these headlights work, there is only one bulb on each side, low beam. The high beams are created by using a motor that aims a reflector, so it's the same bulb performing both functions. So, if a bulb is out, by definition, low and high are out on that side.
These people don't have a clue, go to another dealer.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hi Glynn,
I do apologize for the trouble you are experiencing with your headlights. We recommend getting a second opinion at another dealership. Please know that our team would be more than happy to provide an additional layer of assistance if you do end up connecting with a dealer again. Feel free to follow up with us via private message if this would be of interest.
Rob
DodgeCares

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I did go to another mechanic who after my stating what had already been done ordered a wiring harness and had to wait an additional 10 days for it to come in. Thankfully, he didn't install without doing some diagnostics and after 3.50 hours found it was the bulb after all. It's just that you have to replace both for the headlights to work whereas the one mechanic tried just the one on the right side of car, I imagine was easier to get to than the left because of the fuse box. they won't work independently. If one is bad they both go so, bottom line is please test both bulbs. Still doesn't excuse the dealership from telling me to get two light kits instead of two light bulbs. If they did that in the first place would not been without lights for a month and a half while trying to hit on someone willing to put some thought into the problem.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I did go to another mechanic who after my stating what had already been done ordered a wiring harness and had to wait an additional 10 days for it to come in. Thankfully, he didn't install without doing some diagnostics and after 3.50 hours found it was the bulb after all. It's just that you have to replace both for the headlights to work whereas the one mechanic tried just the one on the right side of car, I imagine was easier to get to than the left because of the fuse box. they won't work independently. If one is bad they both go so, bottom line is please test both bulbs. Still doesn't excuse the dealership from telling me to get two light kits instead of two light bulbs. If they did that in the first place would not been without lights for a month and a half while trying to hit on someone willing to put some thought into the problem.
Not sure what you mean when you say "you have to replace both for the headlights to work". There is only one headlight bulb on each side of the car for 2011-2014, and having one side out does not affect the other bulb. But if you lose one bulb, you have lost both low and high beam on that side, because high beam is just the low beam bulb reflected higher, by way of an electric shutter redirecting the light.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not sure what you mean when you say "you have to replace both for the headlights to work". There is only one headlight bulb on each side of the car for 2011-2014, and having one side out does not affect the other bulb. But if you lose one bulb, you have lost both low and high beam on that side, because high beam is just the low beam bulb reflected higher, by way of an electric shutter redirecting the light.
That's very interesting, but anyway, what I meant by both is one left and one right. Originally, a mechanic installed a new bulb on the right only. If I'm understanding it all, he needed to install both the right and left not sure which was the 'bad' one needed to replace both at the same time. This remedy is a long shot and I was lucky, kinda. At least didn't give into the whole headlight kit suggestion. Just think of the money I'd have lost for nothing.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Again, are you saying that both were burned out, and that he only replaced one?
Because it's not true that one bulb burning out prevents the other side from lighting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Great, I only talked to the receptionist not the mechanic and I thought that's what she was saying. I'm going to pose the question today to the mechanic and find out if both were burned out which at the beginning of my quest to fix was told highly unlikely that they would both burn out at the same time in case I've posted incorrect info about having to replace both sides even if only one is out.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Ever since cars have had electronic voltage regulators, what I've experienced is that the left and right headlights on my cars tend to burn out within several weeks of each other. So when one fails I change both. So it IS possible that both failed at the same time, or nearly so.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks but still wondering why when mechanic tested/replaced the right bulb it didn't light up unless, it is true that they don't work independently and need both replaced to work. could the mechanic have had a wrong bulb or something? My car lights would've been fixed right there and then and not gone through the extra labor and cost.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Then I was mislead by the mechanic who 'tested' my right bulb with a new one I watched him pulled from a box and said didn't work. He then proceeded to take apart my steering column. The charge would've been $300 but, when he told me that's what would fix it I asked how he could be so sure, he said he had done a lot of them and it fixed it. "But, what if that doesn't work?" He said, "then no charge" Well, it didn't work and I went on to scheduling another appt. with yet another mechanic who after 3.5 hours of diagnostics replace both bulbs and my lights work now.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts