Chrysler 200 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
The heater core looks really big in the picture when you zoom in but in reality it is very tiny and the coolant ports are almost microscopic. There isn't really much flow on the one end so even trying to back flush it would only work if you could put some serious pressure and flow through there. I am sure people have had success, but it is only temporary. I like the idea the guy in the video had of hooking a hose to his water heater and flushing the heater core.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yep, the 2011 heating issue has me thinking no more Chrysler. I have the same issue and after spending $$$ on several flushes I had the heater core replaced for $1500. Not long after more of the yellow @#$#$$## that you can see in the water reservoir clogged it up again. I am back to flushing the system every 2 months. Sad, nothing like my old 98 Sebring. I give up!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yep, the 2011 heating issue has me thinking no more Chrysler. I have the same issue and after spending $$$ on several flushes I had the heater core replaced for $1500. Not long after more of the yellow @#$#$$## that you can see in the water reservoir clogged it up again. I am back to flushing the system every 2 months. Sad, nothing like my old 98 Sebring. I give up!
I contemplated some kind of filter on the heater hose at the firewall but I never had anything in the surge tank like you referred to.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2011 200 V6 limited. Last fall 2018 I replaced the heater core due to no heat. I also had issues with no heat on the passenger side. This year I again, felt not alot of heat and cold air blowing on the passenger side. Took it to my mechanic who flushed the system. Two weeks later, again no heat. I have it on the highest temperature and I can get heat for maybe 10 minutes and then cold air. Passenger side is always cold. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
859 Posts
Another thing to consider in the later model 200s. I have a 2015 200 3.6. Earlier this year a heat problem developed in my car where I was getting no heat from my drivers side vents. The pass side was working normally. As I have a Chrysler extended warranty I took it into the dealer for them to fix. They determined that one of my 'Ambient Temp Sensors' was faulty. They ordered the part and installed it when the part came in. It was a nil fix. Apparently there are two such sensors within the system and they picked the wrong one. They ordered the other one and installed and it was a fix. When I asked the service guy where these sensors where located within the system he said that they were within the ducts behind the dash. I know they had the dash apart as they had removed my 'vent' phone holder and left it on my seat. I scanned my invoices and have posted copies in my post. There are part numbers in there which may help others.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Another thing to consider in the later model 200s. I have a 2015 200 3.6. Earlier this year a heat problem developed in my car where I was getting no heat from my drivers side vents. The pass side was working normally. As I have a Chrysler extended warranty I took it into the dealer for them to fix. They determined that one of my 'Ambient Temp Sensors' was faulty. They ordered the part and installed it when the part came in. It was a nil fix. Apparently there are two such sensors within the system and they picked the wrong one. They ordered the other one and installed and it was a fix. When I asked the service guy where these sensors where located within the system he said that they were within the ducts behind the dash. I know they had the dash apart as they had removed my 'vent' phone holder and left it on my seat. I scanned my invoices and have posted copies in my post. There are part numbers in there which may help others.
View attachment 56591
View attachment 56592
Thank you I will look into this on our car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm getting heat blowing out of the driver's side vents, but not passenger side. Recently, I changed out a bad blend door actuator. When I installed it, I didn't put the new one in the exact right position (installed at the 11:00 position, then turned it to align with the mounting screws). Could that be the reason? Is there something else I should be looking for? Any recommendations are welcome.

BTW, I am not sure if this issue started before I changed the actuator or not, since it just started getting cold.

2011 Limited V6
Had the same problem with my 2012 Chrysler 200 in Feb. 2019, had to have the heater core changed, a $1200 fix, and my mechanic says this is a known issue with the Chrysler, its like a sludge in the heater core, my car had 65000 miles, bought new off the floor, have done all the regular maintenance, it has worked good until the past month and the passenger side heat is out again, ..You can go online and research this problem and it is very very common with this car....I am quite upset that this has not been a recall....I can't afford a $1200 fix once a year for this issue. ...Chrysler needs to make good on this issue..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Had the same problem with my 2012 Chrysler 200 in Feb. 2019, had to have the heater core changed, a $1200 fix, and my mechanic says this is a known issue with the Chrysler, its like a sludge in the heater core, my car had 65000 miles, bought new off the floor, have done all the regular maintenance, it has worked good until the past month and the passenger side heat is out again, ..You can go online and research this problem and it is very very common with this car....I am quite upset that this has not been a recall....I can't afford a $1200 fix once a year for this issue. ...Chrysler needs to make good on this issue..
I have already had that done ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just got off the phone with Chrysler about the same problem. Got a case number, but was told nothing they could do for me. 2011, with Penstar motor. Told them this was the last Chrysler I would ever own, known problem and they won't even go in on the labor if I bought the parts.
Wood Rectangle Grass Road surface Trunk

I finally brtoke down and had a friend pull the heater core using the "cut the lines method". Guess I willl be warm this winter. No way flushing would ever remove the gunk that was in the core.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The video on youtube on how to replace the heater core makes it look easy enough for anyone who works on cars to do. I am having an issue now on my 2012 200. I am going to replace the blend door again and if it still isn't heating, I am going to do the cut and replace method. I will repost if i have to do that. My car has 130,000 miles on it, I had to replace the blend door about 2 years ago due to the plastic gear breaking and making a lot of clicking noises.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There are lots of similar complaints about this issue. Sadly, the most likely cause is a partially clogged heater core. It's a pretty big job to replace it and expensive if you take it to the dealer. If you do a search online for Chrysler heater core problem you'll probably see some threads about it. One recent thread had a picture of a clogged heater core cut open so you can see what happens.

Flushing the heater core is hard to do right but you could give it a try. The hard part isn't hooking up a rig to the heater core pipes, it's because of the internal design. The flush can flow through the core yet still bypass the area where it's clogged.

Chrysler changed coolant specifications in 2013 and if the newer style coolant was mixed with the earlier spec it might have been the cause for gelling and clogging.
How would the left side vent blow the correct temp, but not the right side vent ? the air comes through the same heater core ??

·
Registered
6 Posts
It is common for modern cars to have the actuators calibrated. You said you changed the actuator. You might want to check with the dealer and see if it is the case that the firmware needs updated/calibrated before going crazy on the internetz. Just saying....
Are you the only one thinking like me! the3 heat comes through one heater core if it's plugged then both sides of the cars vents will blow the same temp,,at least in my opinion !!

·
Registered
185 Posts
The heater core is long. One side where the air comes through is a continuous intake. The other side is divided into two. When the coolant ports plug up inside the heater core they plug up first on the side with low flow which happens to be the passenger side.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The video on youtube on how to replace the heater core makes it look easy enough for anyone who works on cars to do. I am having an issue now on my 2012 200. I am going to replace the blend door again and if it still isn't heating, I am going to do the cut and replace method. I will repost if i have to do that. My car has 130,000 miles on it, I had to replace the blend door about 2 years ago due to the plastic gear breaking and making a lot of clicking noises.
Let us know if replacing the blend door cures your problem.. I have the same problem, no heat, no cold ac, on right side ..

·
Registered
6 Posts
The heater core is long. One side where the air comes through is a continuous intake. The other side is divided into two. When the coolant ports plug up inside the heater core they plug up first on the side with low flow which happens to be the passenger side.
Thanks Utah , would this cause neither heat or cool a/c air to come trough ? I can only get cold air , only on the drivers side .

21 - 40 of 40 Posts