Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
2,687 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You have an owners manual?
Inspect the car from front to back. Start a list of things to do.
You may want to change all fluids if the past maintenance record is unknown.
How many miles? 3.6L & 6-speed?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum. You have an owners manual?
Inspect the car from front to back. Start a list of things to do.
You may want to change all fluids if the past maintenance record is unknown.
How many miles? 3.6L & 6-speed?
Yep, 3.6L 6 speed in True Blue Pearl. I have the manual. I have actually owned the car for a year now but don't drive it all that much. Wife drives it to work when the weather is good, but that is a two-mile round trip commute.

It has 52K miles, so just had the 50K maintenance done at the dealership along with new brakes all around with brake fluid change. The dealership also did a multipoint inspection which included check and top off fluids.

Love the car so far. Super comfortable ride and a lot of fun with the top down on a nice day. The Boston audio system is awesome, and everything works. There are are just a couple of concerns for me:

1. While the car rides and drives fine, there is some odd creaking/groaning/clunking at very low speeds. I don't notice it at speeds over 25mph. It happens even when coasting at 5mph going straight so it does not seem related to turning or braking. Unless it is my imagination, I think I can feel it in the steering wheel. It did not do this when I bought it last year. Seems like it started after the car sat a lot over the winter.

2. Occasionally, I hear a clunk when shifting from park to drive or park to reverse. It does not happen all the time.

I see a lot of older posts on here about noise, so thought I would ask. Thanks in advance everyone!

·
Administrator
2,687 Posts
At 10 years old, it is possible to have rubber bushing dry-rot/wear. Inspect front control arms, tie-rods & sway-bar linkages.
There are a couple of PCM/TCM software updates that address false code sets & shift quality issues.
If they haven't been done yet, they can make a big difference in the way the car drives.
Rectangle Font Parallel Number Circle

Font Material property Number Document Screenshot

Font Screenshot Number

Reactions: Dward0

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At 10 years old, it is possible to have rubber bushing dry-rot/wear. Inspect front control arms, tie-rods & sway-bar linkages.
There are a couple of PCM/TCM software updates that address false code sets & shift quality issues.
If they haven't been done yet, they can make a big difference in the way the car drives.
View attachment 60289
View attachment 60290

View attachment 60291
I do my own maintenance on my other vehicle (Honda Ridgeline) and have a full set of mechanics tools but have yet to get this one up on ramps or jack stands. Are any of the rubber bushing pieces DIY replaceable by a weekend grease monkey or should I take it to the dealer? Is there a central jacking point where I can lift the whole front end at once? Thanks again!

·
Administrator
2,687 Posts
I would lift and support it at the Lt & Rt frame rails with jack stands. Use a wheel chock at the rear.
Most everything is DIY replaceable and can be driven to a shop afterwards for an alignment, if needed.
If it has never had an alignment before, you may want to opt for a one-time 4-wheel alignment,
The convertible (JS-27) should be similar to a sedan (JS-41).
Automotive parking light Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
View attachment 60289
View attachment 60290

View attachment 60291
Regarding the PCM/TCM software:

1. Can I get the version info from and OBD scan?
2. If out of date, do I have to get it updated at the dealership?
3. If yes, any idea on approximate cost of the update?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
2,687 Posts
At 10 years, it is out of the 8yr/80K mile PCM extended federal emissions warranty. This is a dealership service.

Some higher-end scan tools will give a module part number during the preamble screen. If the label on the PCM housing gives a part number of (i.e. -) 'xxxxxxxxxAD' and the tool reads 'xxxxxxxxAF' for instance, you have had at least one update done.
Whether it is the latest & greatest version depends on when it was done.

If you send me the last 8 of the VIN, I should be able to view & send you the service history.

Most dealers work with a 1 hr diagnostic fee (which is also the Minimum charge). Policies & flat-rate amounts may vary slightly between regions & dealers. Around here it is about $100-$150 per hour.
You can ask if the updates can be done under the minimum charge? Anything over the minimum, they need your authorization & approval for.

If it hasn't been to a dealer since you purchased the car, it would be good to get your info in the Chrysler database.
Ask for a transaxle clutch 'quick-learn' to complete the service.
All the shop policies & procedures should be explained to you by the service advisor at repair order write-up.
Going into this with knowledge of what you want & what to expect should keep the pain-level down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts