Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned a few Sebring convertibles in my time, and really fell in love with the car. I know it has its issues, and one might argue that it is not the most reliable car, but I loved it because it's the one convertible that seemed to work well for what I wanted to do. I wanted good big comfortable seats, so I could take my friends out and go driving on balmy summer nights. I wanted to be able to have decent cargo capacity, reasonable utility and be able to go on road trips. It worked well for this. I ended up settling on the second generation Sebring Limited. It had all I wanted.

The important thing is I want a convertible. That's the whole point.

Well, the Sebring is now out to pasture and the 200 is no longer made in convertible form. However, a convertible is still what I want and the 200 looks like the car I want. A few years old is fine. I'm in the market for a new car, and the Covid-19 situation has made the used car world a buyers market.

So I decided that a 200 convertible is the car I want. I'd prefer it be as recent and as low mileage as possible (of course) but there are other things I want.

I really want good performance. I want power. No, I'm not expecting a bonafied sports car, but I like a car that has some get up and go. Ideally, I'd like as much as possible. That rules out the Touring. Most of the 200's I see are touring, but the engine is not impressive at all. The V6 looks very solid. I'm hoping it has none of the defects of the 2.7 one I am used to (like that goddamn water outlet housing. If you know what I'm talking about you probably agree that an idiot designed that thing.)

I was thinking what I wanted was the Limited, because I thought that meant it had all the major features, but I've been looking at trim levels and I am having trouble seeing what the model S and Limited have in terms of major differences. Yes, I've looked this up, but the info I found is conflicting.

I'm also unclear as to whether certain years are more desirable. There are a couple for sale where I am, and it looks like the 2014 is substantially more expensive than the 2012. I know the body style is the same for that generation. Were any major updates introduced that I should know about?

Finally, I'm really confused about which trim levels include the hard top. For that matter, is the hard top a real improvement? It looks cool as **** to have a hard top convertible. I was under the impression that the limited had the hard top, but I've seen models of all trim levels with both hard and soft. So... was it an option? Or only offered certain years?

Much as I'd love the hard top, if I am willing to drop that requirement, I think my selection goes way up and I'll likely be able to get it at a lower price.

·
Premium Member
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
272 Posts
I have a '98 Sebring JX with the 2.5L V6. The JXi was the higher trim level, but cloth seats are fine for me.
Yes the open convertible is a blast in nice weather and can seat 4 adults comfortably on long drives.
The JR-body was the '01-'06 Sebring convertible/sedan. The JS-body took over in '07.
The car got substantial improvements made in 2011 following the bankruptcy.
The 'S' trim level is a nice package, although the Limited has plenty of niceties. The S may have a firmer ride than the Limited.
The hardtop convertible would be useful in all-weather driving, but the softtop may be less complex and troublesome.
The '15-'17 UF sedan, although not offered in a convertible did have a full roof, dual-pane sunroof option as a sunny day 'compromise'.
I would say that looking for a low-mileage, premium trim level and later model would be the way to go. If you are not in a hurry, convertible prices can be a better bargain after the summer driving season ends.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really not interested in a Sedan. The entire reason I am going for the 200 is the convertible. I have had some issues trying to figure out the difference between the S and Limited. It looks like they are almost the same. On the Sebring the biggest difference was the Limited had all features of the others plus autostick.

From what I can see the S is the higher end of the two models - The S seems to have everything the Limited has (or am I missing something?)

Biggest question I'm trying to figure out is how much difference there is between model years.

Right now, I'm looking at a 2011 and a 2013. Both are model S. Both have about the same miliage. The difference in price is substansial, with the 2013 being 3,000 more. I don't know that there's any big changes in those two years to justify paying a lot more.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So what exactly are the differences between the 11-14 convertible S and Limited models? That's what I'm confused about.

I don't want a sedan. That defeats the whole purpose of getting a 200.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
The S has a stiffer suspension, possibly larger wheels and more aggressive (low profile) tires. The Limited has a softer suspension and is geared toward comfort, more like what a 200 C would have been.
Otherwise, both are high-content packages.
Generally cars this old won't show up at brokerage auctions, dealer lots or rental/lease turn-ins sales. Mine was low mileage, but it had sat dormant for a long time and needed all new brake pads/rotors before it was really driveable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That makes it sound like the S and Limited are basically the same and I should probably go for whichever one I can find a better deal on. The tires obviously won't be the ones that it came from the factory with. If I don't like the wheels, I can always replace those too.

That would mean only the suspension is different. This does not seem like it would be of huge consequence. I will likely want to replace the shocks, struts and control arms anyway, so that would let me change the suspension characteristics anyway.

It appears that they have the same engine and transmission, and that's what I'm concerned about. That and the major body features, as those would be difficult or impossible to modify.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
The S has more of a 'firm' ride and sporty handling. The S may have more 'blackout' trim while the Limited may have some brightwork or color-keyed trim.
I don't find the ride particularly harsh, but my wife has a bad back and can feel every bump, except when she drives. Holding onto a steering wheel helps give her back support.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have a 2012 Touring convertible with the 3.6. Now has 81k with only 1 minor repair. I think you should focus on finding the car in the best condition rather than a specific trim level (except I think the 3.6 is a must).

Get the car up to operating temp and turn on the heat and make sure you have heat on the passenger side. The heater cores have a tendency to partially clog and the symptom is no heat on the right side.

Cycle the top up and down about 10 times. Make sure it works perfectly.

I'd want to see service records. I wish my car had heated seats but the factory wind blocker works great with the top down and windows up. I use mine a lot in cooler weather with the top down. In fact I only use the car with the top down. I keep it in the garage with the top down and rarely cycle the top.

The 2011, 2012 and a few 2013 cars with the 3.6 have an issue with the left side cylinder head, which is a big deal. Chrysler issued an extended warranty for this problem. A 2014 soft top would be the best choice if you can find one.

·
Super Moderator
2,547 Posts
On the first gen 200's the S is an appearance package not a trim level- in other words there is a such thing as a Limited S and a Touring S (my first 200) and even a 4cyl "S" model.

In any case it sounds like you want the Limited if you care about a decent factory stereo and leather seats. Look for a Limited V6 and you will be happy. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Go for a Limited hardtop convertible; much quieter than our 2003,Eclipse Spyder convertible. We bought a 2012 with 3.6 last year for 13K including delivery transport and car was one owner with 58K miles. It had the passenger heater problem which was able to flush out and also an annoying inner tie rods clunk on bumps which I fixed( did not believe was a safety issue as no looseness). No other issues since and really enjoy that cool hardtop. Will keep an eye out on the oil cooler for possible leak and check the oil filter for shavings for possible cam roller wear.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 2011, 2012 and a few 2013 cars with the 3.6 have an issue with the left side cylinder head, which is a big deal. Chrysler issued an extended warranty for this problem. A 2014 soft top would be the best choice if you can find one.
I've not found many 2014's and none really to my linking or within my budget. Can you tell me what the issue is with the left cylinder head or give me a link to something about it?

If it is something I can fix or replace, that makes a big difference. If I can somehow replace part of the engine with a spare part from a 2014 or have it modified to address that issue, that changes everything.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I just looked this up and it seems that the issue resulted in a warranted extension on the head to 150,000 miles.

Anyone know if that warnentee applies to the vehicle even if purchased by a new owner, or is it just the original buyer?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 2014 Limited hardtop drop top with just under 20K miles and the day before the Houston stay-at-home, I scraped the side on a red granite decorative rock that I'm sure was rolled off into the street by a couple of stupid kids up to no good. That afternoon, I took it to CarMax and the best they'd offer was $7,000, which was just too little with a similar one for sale at Texas Direct for over $15,000. The damage, according to CarMax, was only about $250 and no big deal to them. I'd probably let it go for $10K, but not $7K...not even close. Next step is taking it to Hertz to trade it on a 2018 Chrysler Pacifica Limited so I can hit the road with a twin-size memory foam mattress and save every other night's motel bill...after we once again live in a free country, for however long that lasts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a 2014 Limited hardtop drop top with just under 20K miles and the day before the Houston stay-at-home, I scraped the side on a red granite decorative rock that I'm sure was rolled off into the street by a couple of stupid kids up to no good. That afternoon, I took it to CarMax and the best they'd offer was $7,000, which was just too little with a similar one for sale at Texas Direct for over $15,000. The damage, according to CarMax, was only about $250 and no big deal to them. I'd probably let it go for $10K, but not $7K...not even close. Next step is taking it to Hertz to trade it on a 2018 Chrysler Pacifica Limited so I can hit the road with a twin-size memory foam mattress and save every other night's motel bill...after we once again live in a free country, for however long that lasts.
a 2014 limited with a hard top would be my ideal choice. Where are you located?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have 2011 Touring soft convertible. Very stiff ride, seats have no side bolsters.
If I had my 'druthers, I'd have S for the seats, and hard top.
Ride is already far too stiff.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've owned a few Sebring convertibles in my time, and really fell in love with the car. I know it has its issues, and one might argue that it is not the most reliable car, but I loved it because it's the one convertible that seemed to work well for what I wanted to do. I wanted good big comfortable seats, so I could take my friends out and go driving on balmy summer nights. I wanted to be able to have decent cargo capacity, reasonable utility and be able to go on road trips. It worked well for this. I ended up settling on the second generation Sebring Limited. It had all I wanted.

The important thing is I want a convertible. That's the whole point.

Well, the Sebring is now out to pasture and the 200 is no longer made in convertible form. However, a convertible is still what I want and the 200 looks like the car I want. A few years old is fine. I'm in the market for a new car, and the Covid-19 situation has made the used car world a buyers market.

So I decided that a 200 convertible is the car I want. I'd prefer it be as recent and as low mileage as possible (of course) but there are other things I want.

I really want good performance. I want power. No, I'm not expecting a bonafied sports car, but I like a car that has some get up and go. Ideally, I'd like as much as possible. That rules out the Touring. Most of the 200's I see are touring, but the engine is not impressive at all. The V6 looks very solid. I'm hoping it has none of the defects of the 2.7 one I am used to (like that goddamn water outlet housing. If you know what I'm talking about you probably agree that an idiot designed that thing.)

I was thinking what I wanted was the Limited, because I thought that meant it had all the major features, but I've been looking at trim levels and I am having trouble seeing what the model S and Limited have in terms of major differences. Yes, I've looked this up, but the info I found is conflicting.

I'm also unclear as to whether certain years are more desirable. There are a couple for sale where I am, and it looks like the 2014 is substantially more expensive than the 2012. I know the body style is the same for that generation. Were any major updates introduced that I should know about?

Finally, I'm really confused about which trim levels include the hard top. For that matter, is the hard top a real improvement? It looks cool as **** to have a hard top convertible. I was under the impression that the limited had the hard top, but I've seen models of all trim levels with both hard and soft. So... was it an option? Or only offered certain years?

Much as I'd love the hard top, if I am willing to drop that requirement, I think my selection goes way up and I'll likely be able to get it at a lower price.
Steve , I an selling my 2012 "s" hard top convertable , 63k loaded , swade/leather seats ,gray metallic paint . Contact me if interested $ 10,500.00 @[email protected]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts