Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am not very good with cars mechanics and such. I was driving my car on the highway doing about 80, when it popped up on my dash "Engine Temperature Hot" and also "service electronic throttle control". My coolant temperature doesn't pass 170 degrees and my heat blows out cold air. Can someone lead me in the direction of what could be wrong? My coolant is topped off, i thought that was the problem but I went and filled it up..and still having this problem. Any thoughts or anything would be good. Im only 23, college student on my own so I don't want to go to chrysler and they over charge me for something simple. So I would like to see if you guys know what might be going on. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
If still under warranty, go to the dealer. Otherwise you don't have many options, get someone to read the code for you and start from there.

Reactions: chxlsev

·
Registered
254 Posts
Try to unplug then re-plug in the throttle body connector and the coolant temp sensor. Might be that simple. Do it with everything off. Typically if you have a hot coolant code with full coolant and you haven't drained or flushed it, it's not an air bubble which is common. But, that happened to my wife's impala and I had to purge the bubble out. Was a weird issue.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Try to unplug then re-plug in the throttle body connector and the coolant temp sensor. Might be that simple. Do it with everything off. Typically if you have a hot coolant code with full coolant and you haven't drained or flushed it, it's not an air bubble which is common. But, that happened to my wife's impala and I had to purge the bubble out. Was a weird issue.
Where can i find this? The throttle body connector? Or the coolant temp sensor?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One is on the thermostat housing, the other on the throttle body. Can't find good pics. Take a few of your engine from different angle and I'll circle it.

thats my thermostat, at the end of the hose.
thats under the black engine shield.

·
Registered
254 Posts
286d1afbdfbd49dfbc365d7067bf3a36.jpg

Does not look irregular. Press the black piece on top down, that "unlocks" it. Wiggle and pull while pressing down. DO NOT PULL ON WIRES! I doubt this will do anything, but worth a try. I would do this as a first thing, also visually look at the wires/connector for any irregularities, pinches, breaks.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The "service electronic throttle control" could just be a cleaning. I'm not sure how these engines behave, but others (like my wifes vehicle) suck a lot of crankcase vapor and it gums up/dirties the throttle body. There are many how to's. And tons of cleaners. I use brake clean, but they make a TB cleaner.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The "service electronic throttle control" could just be a cleaning. I'm not sure how these engines behave, but others (like my wifes vehicle) suck a lot of crankcase vapor and it gums up/dirties the throttle body. There are many how to's. And tons of cleaners. I use brake clean, but they make a TB cleaner.
I will ask the mechanic to check that out before i blow 300 on him replacing the thermostat

·
Registered
254 Posts
The thing that's weird with your issue is that if it was stuck open, it would stay cool like you said it is. Lower temps, like 170 or so. If it was stuck closed then it would be hot and you'd get the fault you have gotten. So you are getting opposite ends, cool temp, but high temp fault code? Most newer cars, the t-stat opens around 195 and averages about 200 degrees.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The thing that's weird with your issue is that if it was stuck open, it would stay cool like you said it is. Lower temps, like 170 or so. If it was stuck closed then it would be hot and you'd get the fault you have gotten. So you are getting opposite ends, cool temp, but high temp fault code? Most newer cars, the t-stat opens around 195 and averages about 200 degrees.
Yeah last night i topped off my coolant, took it for a spin, at 170 it popped up the error codes and i was 3 links away from even being mid way on the cold/hot gauge so I was confused. No signs or over heating physically, and to the eye..just the signs on the dash and i was getting cold air. which sucks when its 19 degrees out haha

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the thing that is really weird, its 50 degrees out today, and the coolant temp heated up to 185 and is blowing out actual heat and i went on the highway and everything too..no ETC or engine temperature hot problems..could you think its from the low temperatures?

·
Registered
254 Posts
It shouldn't matter what temp it is outside. It would only take a bit longer to heat up. It sounds like the t-stat is stuck open or partially open. My dad's Olds t-stat is stuck open. It gives a fault code similar to "coolant temp not reaching normal operating temp". And it stays lower on the temp gauge, and takes FOREVER to blow warm air.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It shouldn't matter what temp it is outside. It would only take a bit longer to heat up. It sounds like the t-stat is stuck open or partially open. My dad's Olds t-stat is stuck open. It gives a fault code similar to "coolant temp not reaching normal operating temp". And it stays lower on the temp gauge, and takes FOREVER to blow warm air.
I understand, I meant could it possibly be cold weather freezing it partially open maybe? Since in warmer weather it works properly. And if it is stuck partially open can that be fixed? Or do i need to replace the whole thermostat..trying to see what i should get him to do before i go there tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts