Chrysler 200 Forum banner

High mount LED brake light

8K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  DirtyLilC 
#1 ·
Anyone replace one of these on the 15+ 200? Service manual?

#2 ·
They are pretty difficult to get to for access or replacement. The entire backseat has to be removed to get to it. The first time you do it, it will take a while; the second time is a bit quicker. I did it to access the wiring to the light. I wanted to add a brake light flasher just for the HMSL and the wiring is located behind and under the rear seat. The light itself is a led so it should last the life of the car. The entire procedure was posted here on this forum over a year ago.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info. For whatever reason I can't find anything on it here, I can only find info for the previous gen.

Only reason I need access is because mine works when it decides to, but most of the time it doesn't work. It's been like that for a while, but it's out of warranty for that and I am not going to spend 8 or 900$ or whatever the dealer will charge to maybe fix it.

#5 ·
#6 ·
UPDATE:

I don't think it needs replaced, the cable probably is loose when the windows were tinted years ago - it works inermittantly when the radio is loud - goes to the beat. I hadn't noticed it wasn't working till a few months ago.

The cover pops off from the top without having to remove the seats etc... and the plug is exposed. I'll post pics once I am feeling limber and get around to fixing it.

I found what probably is the solution on the 200FB page.

#7 ·
Thought I captured more pictures. The brake light pops out from the top. No need to take the seats out. In fact if you do, you will still be in the same situation having to put it back in from the top.

Asphalt Floor Roof Road surface Flooring
Red Automotive lighting Automotive design Light Vehicle

#9 ·
Did you ever figure out to to plug the connector back in? I'm thinking of trying needle nose pliers and just hoping it works.
I never knew it was not working until my wife drove my car and I was behind her in a different vehicle. I feel it has probably been unplugged since the back window was tinted years ago (like you mentioned with yours).

#11 ·
I carefully used a hook tool (one of these pictured below) - and it wasn't easy. Probably why the tint guy didn't bother to plug it back in. Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier.

Tool Metalworking hand tool

Reactions: fltru103
#12 ·
No worries. My dad and I finally took a look at it this past weekend. We removed the seat bottom, the side cushions, the plastic covers for car seat hooks and the 4 pins holding the package tray in. Then we slid the package tray our and flipped it over to see the cable glued down to it. We pulled a couple inches of cable off the package tray (which made it way easier to connect the connector to the light). Then we connected the brake light to the connector and flipped it back over and slid it back into position. A funny thing is some of the cable that was glued originally was no longer sticking but it was the opposite end of the cable from the brake light. In the end it was not bad and took about an hour. Would be much quicker the second time since we now know what to do and may not need to do the same steps as we made more cable available (although I hope to never have to do this again). I found a video of this being done to a 2005-2007 Chrysler 300 and it included way more steps which I am glad I did not have to do all of those for the 200 but did give helpful hints that came in handy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.