Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I understand that corrosion on the hood is a known issue with the first gen 200's. A month ago I noticed some bubbling on the leading edge of the hood, just above the driver's side headlight, on my 2013 LX so I took it to the dealer to see if it was covered under warranty. Took a month for Chrysler Canada to answer, but it was approved and into the body shop it went. Three days later it was done - not just the one spot, but the entire hood! The colour match was very, very good and they had even taken the time to buff out most of the scratches on the doors, etc, from when the previous owner had it. A big thumbs up to Chrysler Canada and my dealer, Town And Country Chrysler of Smiths Falls, Ontario.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
So I understand that corrosion on the hood is a known issue with the first gen 200's. A month ago I noticed some bubbling on the leading edge of the hood, just above the driver's side headlight, on my 2013 LX so I took it to the dealer to see if it was covered under warranty. Took a month for Chrysler Canada to answer, but it was approved and into the body shop it went. Three days later it was done - not just the one spot, but the entire hood! The colour match was very, very good and they had even taken the time to buff out most of the scratches on the doors, etc, from when the previous owner had it. A big thumbs up to Chrysler Canada and my dealer, Town And Country Chrysler of Smiths Falls, Ontario.
How was this covered under warranty?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, the corrosion warranty is 5 years perforation. Even though I noticed the bubbling at year 3, it wasn't perforation so I didn't think I had a case. Now at year 7 it's all over the place, still no perforation though. I didn't know they might still have done something about it. I guess I'm screwed now. Does anybody have a link to the supposed TSB on this? Maybe I can use that for leverage.

·
Super Moderator
1,788 Posts
It's all kind of ridiculous though, it's clearly a manufacturing defect, so there should be a recall.
Don't wait for any recall. Corrosion can be explained by the chemicals, salt and brine sprays that are layed down every winter.
I also had a 1999 Dodge Stratus that the hood bubbled after 5 or 6 years. I bought a new hood and had it painted and installed on my own. Wasn't that expensive to do.
Bottom line, it's not a defect. It's can be blamed on environmental issues.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ford Mustangs have a way worse problem with the front of the hoods corroding than the 200's. The thin aluminum doesn't react well with the crud they put on the roads.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Don't wait for any recall. Corrosion can be explained by the chemicals, salt and brine sprays that are layed down every winter.
I also had a 1999 Dodge Stratus that the hood bubbled after 5 or 6 years. I bought a new hood and had it painted and installed on my own. Wasn't that expensive to do.
Bottom line, it's not a defect. It's can be blamed on environmental issues.
In this case, it is a defect in Chrysler hoods, on several models. There is a TSB on them, and Chrysler is fixing them under warranty. Take it to a dealer, on that has their own body shop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts