Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Converted my brake lights over to LED. Here is a quick How-To. As always I take no responsibility if you **** it up.

LED's used...

http://www.vleds.com/v3-r.html

I purchased the the resistors listed, fearing hyperflash. However I did not install them and did not see any hyperflash with them. So I will be trying to return them.

Step 1.

Disconnect negative side on battery.

Step 2.

Remove black bolt cover with trim removal tool.

IMG_0239.jpg

Step 3.

Remove 2-10mm bolts.

IMG_0240.jpg

Step 4.

Use trim removal tool to pry on outside part of housing while pulling on inner side of housing, should pop right off.

IMG_0241.jpg

Step 5.

Remove stock bulb and you will need to trim away small "tabs" on factory connector in order to allow new connector to fit.

IMG_0242.jpg

Step 6.

Connect LED to power unit, attach supplied connector and connect. Use supplied gasket and screws. Place two on housing at 12:00 and 6:00 position. Also twist red piece off bottom and twist black housing down. This needs to be done to make sure the back side doesn't hit the interior of the vehicle. Test to make sure you have polarity correct.

IMG_0243.jpg

Step 7.

Insert LED into housing twist to lock into position. May be difficult and require channel locks.

IMG_0244.jpg

Step 8. Tuck wires behind housing and put housing back on. This can be difficult, you have to get the wires just right.

Step 9. Reverse of steps 2 and 3. Repeat for other side. Reconnect battery and test.

End result...much brighter than stock. Also more red in color.

IMG_0245.jpg

·
Registered
439 Posts
Thanks for this! I thought the entire carpet in the trunk had to be removed to get at the bolts. I never even noticed that piece there that pries off.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No issues as of yet

·
Registered
156 Posts
does anyone know what size bulb is the brake light?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Having a a real battle with these, can't get them to sit flush.
I had the same issue, I had to put the stuff on the inside part of the tail light. I also had to thread the light really far into the housing.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have been trying to locate the connector where the CHMSL taps off of the rear brake lights. My guess is that it is somewhere under the rear seat, but it could be in one of the side panels by the rear seat. Do any of you know where it is located?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ok so have these been good? Sorry to bring up an old thread but I figure it's better than making a new one.

Are these the only LEDs that people have used without any problems?

I've wanted LED brake lights since the moment I drove it off the lot.

Thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts