Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that there are many many different posts and threads already regarding this issue, but I thought the information here is worthy of its own thread. If not I totally understand and moderators feel free to delete if necessary. This thread is for the people like myself, that did not get the premium lighting package when purchasing our car.

So, back in February when I bought my car there were no HID kit that would work out of the box without any modification, without any relays buzzing, or without any Bulb Out Errors on the dash. I didn't do enough research and didn't realize that there were all of these issues and ended up buying a kit from the Retrofit Source hoping that it would just work. After the install I unfortunately experienced all of the same problems everybody else did. So I contacted Matt, the owner of the Retrofit Source, and he worked hand-in-hand with me to piece together many other options. After many different orders and trial and error we were able to achieve a kit that works without fail every time. My configuration also works for the 2015 and newer Dodge Ram, and apparently there is a huge market with the Ram guys. Now that all the legwork is done they actually offer a kit that is identical to my set up that will work for our cars every single time. I have done lots of business with these guys and can vouch for the quality of service and equipment from them. Definitely check them out!

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/hid-systems/morimoto-elite-hid-system-15-dodge-ram-low-beam.html#.VWSlEpSCOJI

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went with 35 W, 5500 K for both the headlights and fog lights and I must say that it is sexy as ****.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Looking good! I am curious to see also the kit itself installed how it looks and where you fitted everything.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Glad that someone found a solution to this! I think you may have posted about the fogs before, it's just a relay harness running to the battery correct? And no melting issues with the fogs? They seem so small, didn't want to overheat them with this hids lol

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can try and get some pics when I get my car back, sure.

Also, the fogs work with just a harness. That's keeping it powered up and there are no Bulb Out errors on the dash. However, the relay is buzzing pretty loudly, so to cure that I have the resistors that I have to wire in, that'll make my fog lights set up just the same as the headlights.

And to your point about heat, hid bulbs run at a lower temperature than halogens do so I don't believe there will be any issues. ((I hope not))

·
Registered
169 Posts
Awesome man, thanks for the response!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Kev, did you use the 9006 or 9012 kit? Any modifications needed to the housing or wiring? Thanks for taking one for the team!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Kev, did you use the 9006 or 9012 kit? Any modifications needed to the housing or wiring? Thanks for taking one for the team!
I went with 9012 for mine, I believe you can use either.

There is absolutely no modification to the wiring because this kit does it all for you. It's direct plug and play. My kit is chopped up a little here and there but that's because this kit didn't exist until Matt at TRS helped me figure out our ridiculous canbus system so this kit can be made. But rest assured that this kit that I linked above is direct plug in with no modification needed.

The only modification that will need to be done, as with any hid system, is a hole will need to be made in the caps on the back of the housing. If I'm not mistaken it's a 7/8" hole so all the wires can be fed through. The kit comes with a rubber grommet attached to the wires so there will be no openings in your headlights when it's properly installed.

·
Registered
100 Posts
You're the man big kev! Maybe once I get settled in at my new place after this divorce I can actually buy it. If I can even keep the car that is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Kev, I just bought my 2015 200 a month ago, and I have seen a few others around here that have that light strip around your head light, how do you turn that on? Or is it just for certain models? Sorry for such a noob question

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
You're the man big kev! Maybe once I get settled in at my new place after this divorce I can actually buy it. If I can even keep the car that is.
Haha Thank you sir! It was costly, and a pain in the arse....but totally worth it

Hey Kev, I just bought my 2015 200 a month ago, and I have seen a few others around here that have that light strip around your head light, how do you turn that on? Or is it just for certain models? Sorry for such a noob question
Oh you're fine, you wont know if you don't ask. All 200's come with the light strip. The difference is the brightness. If you've never seen yours my guess is you don't have the premium lighting option, which is exactly who this thread is for anyhow. The light strip comes on when you turn the markers on and it isn't exactly the brightest thing during the day. So I say at dusk, or night, go outside of the car with only your marker lights or your headlights on and you should be able to see them perfectly.

With the premium lighting option, the lights are much different. It's actually a series of LEDs in the strip that are MUCH brighter and are very bright even in direct sunlight.

Hopefully that answers your question...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Haha Thank you sir! It was costly, and a pain in the arse....but totally worth it

Oh you're fine, you wont know if you don't ask. All 200's come with the light strip. The difference is the brightness. If you've never seen yours my guess is you don't have the premium lighting option, which is exactly who this thread is for anyhow. The light strip isn't exactly the brightest thing during the day, so I say at dusk, or night, go outside of the car with your headlights on and you should be able to see them perfectly.

With the premium lighting option, the lights are much different. It's actually a series of LEDs in the strip that are MUCH brighter and are very bright even in direct sunlight.

Hopefully that answers your question...
Thanks man, it's just getting dark out right now, so I'll go check. And take some sexy night pics :D

·
Registered
410 Posts
The kit listed above is unproven for daytime running lights (Canada). Although I didn't order this package, I had to get a special relay that could handle the low voltage sent out by the DRL's. Otherwise the passenger light would turn off during the daytime drl mode.
Also most people have chosen the Phillips Ultinon LED fog light over the hid. If they made an led main bulb as good as an hid, I'd buy that too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks man, it's just getting dark out right now, so I'll go check. And take some sexy night pics

Awesome! Don't forget to post em!
Hey Kev, I figured out why I've never seen the light strip. I have my headlights on auto, and they don't show on auto. So now that I know that I have them, I shall be using them :D

Thanks for the help.
PS no pictures today, my phone doesn't take good pics if it's too dark

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The kit listed above is unproven for daytime running lights (Canada). Although I didn't order this package, I had to get a special relay that could handle the low voltage sent out by the DRL's. Otherwise the passenger light would turn off during the daytime drl mode.
Also most people have chosen the Phillips Ultinon LED fog light over the hid. If they made an led main bulb as good as an hid, I'd buy that too.
I don't have any information on the drls for Canada. However there is a savings, time and money, going with leds but I like the added light output going with hids. Just a personal preference. Anywhere between 5-800 lumens are lost going with the Ultinon leds.

Thanks man, it's just getting dark out right now, so I'll go check. And take some sexy night pics

Awesome! Don't forget to post em!
Hey Kev, I figured out why I've never seen the light strip. I have my headlights on auto, and they don't show on auto. So now that I know that I have them, I shall be using them

Thanks for the help.
PS no pictures today, my phone doesn't take good pics if it's too dark
No problem! Glad I could help!

·
Super Moderator
1,820 Posts
This is the question that makes me hesitate to order it. Our **** daylights.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts