Chrysler 200 Forum banner

101 - 120 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Has anyone without the premium lighting package considered replacing the projector lenses? TRS has some great lenses that, in my opinion, are essential when adding HIDs. I guess while you are in there, one could upgrade the strip too? I'm just scared to death to open up the lights and mess it all up.
Wouldn't that involve taking apart the headlight to swap the lense? That in itself would be a project rather than just installing an HID kit.

·
Registered
137 Posts
i dont get it.....these already have projector lenses in them, i replaced my stock halo's for the HID and there spot on. why would you need to change the proj. lens to another proj. lens?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Reposting Here...

Hey guys just wanted to post in your thread because it helped me to find the HIDRetrofitkit. I originally tried the Moromito Elite kit with the plug and play Canbus harness in my 2015 Charger and it did not stay lit after 20 minutes. Seems in some of these cars it may work but for mine it did not. Just thought I would post some data here because some of you guys stated that you had steered away from the Moromito w/Mopar harness because of the heat of the resistors. My feeling is that the amperage draw and overall heat generated is probably similar however different setups may disperse it better over the boxes. Here is the power use I measured, all testing at approx 12.53V battery voltage:

-Stock halogen 9012 bulb 4.15A = 52W
-Moromito w/Canbus harness 4.21A = 52.8W
-HIDRetrofitKit w/Canbus+Mopar Decoder 4.64A = 58.1W

From the heat generation I'd say the Canbus boxes on both the HRK and Moromito kit contain some kind of resistors. Overall the HRK solution is probably the best because it is somewhat plug and play, however I did need to reverse the polarity on the driver's side output, also the decoder boxes require a ground... no big deal.

If anyone wants to send me their Moromito w/Mopar harness plus resistors for amperage testing I'd love to see how much that setup draws. They state each resistor is 9 ohms which uses about 17.4W so that's almost 35W plus whatever the ballasts draw. Let's say conservatively 40W ea so we're at around 115W for the whole setup. This puts us right in the ballpark of the other kits but if ballast draw ends up closer to 50W, would be a different story. No way to know for sure without measuring though.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Yea turns out mine wasn't TRS, it's the RetroFitKit. Very easy to install, no relays or hot capacitors to worry about. Install was straightforward...hardest part was deciding where to ziptie everything to.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I left them on while I was mounting all the boxes and wires, and after about a half hour they were still ok to touch with my bare hands. Just a little warm.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I would stay away from xentec, they are usually a cheap HID kit. I would go to with the morimoto elite HID kit for our vehicles which are the closes thing to the OEM HID headlight option.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I'm not spending that kind of money for HIDs haha, maybe if the USD was par with CDN. Honestly I just want something that's brighter than the factory, I find I out drive the headlights as is.

I did some more research and went with an LED kit, with decoder canbuses. Not as bright as HID, but brighter than factory and it's not supposed to flicker my DRLs. (Silly Canada and our DRLs lol) plus I got them from a much more reliable source than eBay. I'm not really a fan of eBay for things like this.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Couldn't figure out what you meant, so I went to the website and yeah... doesn't look like the HID kits are available anymore. Looks like he's only selling full headlight conversion kits... too bad.
Yeah! $900USD equates to about $1200CDN, give or take. That's actually a lot even for full headlight replacements! Haha.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Couldn't figure out what you meant, so I went to the website and yeah... doesn't look like the HID kits are available anymore. Looks like he's only selling full headlight conversion kits... too bad.
Yeah! $900USD equates to about $1200CDN, give or take. That's actually a lot even for full headlight replacements! Haha.
That kinda money you can dig into a junkyard and rip out oem from another car and install your self. Lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
I installed LEDs to both headlights and foglights..The problem im having is the passenger side foglight wont light when the car is running...It lights when its not running tho which is baffling...Any ideas?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I installed LEDs to both headlights and foglights..The problem im having is the passenger side foglight wont light when the car is running...It lights when its not running tho which is baffling...Any ideas?
Recheck wireing and using oem in-dash controller?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes I rechecked the wiring and yes using OEM switch..I'm wondering when car is running possibly running higher voltage in which leds I hear can fail if not enough or too much juice going to them ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am using 5000K HIDs from DDM Tuning and have been extremely happy with them, and I'm running Philips Diamond Vision halogen fogs, and the color is great, almost matching the HIDs and factory LED strips perfectly. The whole setup only costed me around $100 if I remember correctly, and the DDM setup is direct plug-and-play with no warning lights or flickering.

101 - 120 of 126 Posts