Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Converted my reverse lights over to LED. Here is a quick How-To. As always I take no responsibility if you **** it up.

LED's used...(cool white)

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature-wedge-base/194-led-bulb--19-smd-led-wedge-base-tower/1563/

I also purchased a set of resistors due to receiving a "bulb out" when putting in reverse. It is listed below. However I am still receiving this error. I have a feeling the cheap wire taps that it came with are not making a good connection. This isn't a big issue since it only says this when you are in reverse.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/flashers-load-resistors/marker-lamp-load-resistor/191/832/

Step 1.

Disconnect negative on battery.

Step 2.

Open trunk and remove small rectangular black "clip"

IMG_0246.jpg

Step 3.

Pull down on pin to get cover out of the way.

IMG_0247.jpg

Step 4.

Remove factory bulb and replace with new LED. Test for polarity.

IMG_0248.jpg

Step 5. (optional)

Wire in resistor, the supplied wire taps are cheap and I plan on swapping out since these did not work for me. One wire on power and one wire on power.

IMG_0249.jpg

Step 6.

Reverse of steps 2 and 3. Repeat on other side. Reconnect battery and test.

End result...much brighter than stock. I will update on the resistor issue. For those of you that this error message doesn't bother you, don't bother buying the resistor.

IMG_0252.jpg

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have the same problem on reverse lights but have just ignored the warning everytime. I like having the much brighter reverse than caring about the light out message that pops up for 3 seconds.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm, manual says 921 for the reverse bulbs, didn't realize 194 would work. Guess i got more lights to change. :blush:

Jeff
194 and 921 bulbs have the same T10 base. The "body" and filament on the 194 is just smaller than the 921. Thus why the 921 puts out more light.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I also get that message. Doesn't really bother me, but it's always there when you scroll through the system messages. Can't you just use CANBUS LEDs instead of wiring in a resistor? Be careful where you put the resistor because it gets hot and can melt plastic if it's resting on something under there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
194 and 921 bulbs have the same T10 base. The "body" and filament on the 194 is just smaller than the 921. Thus why the 921 puts out more light.
So my question is why did you go with the 194 instead of the 921 even though their the same base?? Is there an issue with space or something??

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The LED that I used, is listed as a 194. It's probably listed as 194 because the 921 and 194 base's are the same. However the "body" of the LED that I used is the size of a 921 body. (I hope that makes sense)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I also get that message. Doesn't really bother me, but it's always there when you scroll through the system messages. Can't you just use CANBUS LEDs instead of wiring in a resistor? Be careful where you put the resistor because it gets hot and can melt plastic if it's resting on something under there.
Not being a current 200 owner, is this in a diagnostic menu in the dash cluster or is it an obnoxious warning message that comes up when turning on the engine or while driving?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Limited space on bigger blubs stepping up from LEDs To led high power kit soon to post up pics once completed have to modify to make them fit

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ever fix the bulb out error?
No

Not being a current 200 owner, is this in a diagnostic menu in the dash cluster or is it an obnoxious warning message that comes up when turning on the engine or while driving?
The error pops up on the speedo/tach HUD only when you shift it into reverse.

Reactions: Queen311

·
Registered
156 Posts
So I read both brake & backup light sticky, do both of these need a resistor for the new models of Chrysler 2015?

·
Registered
147 Posts
The brake light does not, the reverse light will throw the error regardless of resistors or not. There is no known fix at this time...

·
Registered
156 Posts
The brake light does not, the reverse light will throw the error regardless of resistors or not. There is no known fix at this time...
thanks for the info BigKev, is the brake light also 921 bulb?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Just place my order for my back up lights, and the bulbs do not throw an error message from what he told me, same guy I bought my hid kit from and only paided $140 for the kit straight plug and play and works great. I'll keep every one posted up wen I put the bulbs in about this error message.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The only CANBUS LED that is bright enough (in my opinion) is a 13 SMD LED Tower, but it is oversized. Ordering and will keep updated.
what site is this from? i got my bulbs, and sent them back, they did the bulb out message on my dash,

1 - 20 of 26 Posts